Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shoe recommendations for new gig

Site Supporter
    I would say that there are models of eccos that have a relatively wide footbed i.e.:

https://us.ecco.com/ecco-fusion-ii-t...01_color=01001

Having said that, based on my keen shoe industry watching (pun intended) for my entire adult life, there is no commonly avail brand that does a better job with default wider toe box sizing than Keen. Indeed, when I outfit new Scout dads with wide feet for their first campout (as opposed to actual hiking) shoe, the default choices are Keen and New Balance in their 4E sizing.

While often not the cheapest choice, the easy return policies of Amazon and Zappos (same owners since 2009) can make buying upscale (100 USD+) shoe shopping a bit easier in that you buy both sizes, widths etc and return the one(s) that do not fit.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    My apologies for injecting a question in the OP's thread. I like the Keen shoes for their wide footbed. Do the Ecco's have a similar width? I cannot find a place to try them on within reasonable driving distance.

Thanks very much, and good luck with the new gig!
    Keen's wide is definitely wider than Ecco's wide, unless things have changed. I find Keen very comfortable, but Ecco's widest shoe is too tight in the toe box area. I have to stretch AE's wide, and they will stretch, but Ecco was difficult to stretch.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    I tried my Allen Edmonds yesterday and immediately regretted it. No arch support and, while they looked a whole lot better than the Rockys, I can’t stand the pain.
    Which model Allen Edmonds? Unless you're wearing ones with leather soles, this is a good indication you're not wearing a shoe that fits correctly...not that there's anything wrong with the shoe. Allen Edmonds makes a whole lot of different options, both for lasts (the fit of the shoe) and soles. I've got 4 pairs, myself. Finding the correct last for your foot is critically important, and why Allen Edmonds has so many different lasts.

Allen Edmonds and Eccos are the two most popular shoes at my job where we have a heavy protective security workload. I actually moved from Eccos to Allen Edmonds specifically because of the lack of support in soft, cushy, sneaker-like soles like Eccos. Keep in mind who your recommendations are coming from; the vast majority of LEOs wearing suits and dress shoes aren't on their feet all day like someone at your gig or working a protection detail. I find there to be a big difference in the comfort of shoes and what I desire between intermittent office-type use versus being on my feet all day everyday as my normal week in/week out work schedule. Eccos are good for the former, not so great at the latter unless you're able to make sure you have time to rotate off your feet and are disciplined at using a roller.

Think of how soft cushy shoes are super comfortable for leisure, but for hard-use activities like sports and hiking a shoe equipped with Superfeet is often much more desirable for people needing arch support...and superfeet are hard as fuck, basically just a plastic insert.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post

Budget for two and rotate and they will last far longer than wearing a pair into the ground and then buying another.
    I 100% agree with this statement. I have had the same experience with duty boots and now western boots.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    TGS may be on to something re the comfort v support dichotomy.

There is no doubt that AE has multiple soles these days as well v the all leather of old.

I have never been an insert guy but I have never been on my feet day in day out like many of you have.

If the OP has the job I think he has, I stand by my recs based on what I see on the feet of folks at my Courthouse when the folks in question do a sig mix of standing post, walking the perimeter, sitting at a post and sitting in Court.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Which model Allen Edmonds? Unless you're wearing ones with leather soles, this is a good indication you're not wearing a shoe that fits correctly...not that there's anything wrong with the shoe. Allen Edmonds makes a whole lot of different options, both for lasts (the fit of the shoe) and soles. I've got 4 pairs, myself. Finding the correct last for your foot is critically important, and why Allen Edmonds has so many different lasts.

Allen Edmonds and Eccos are the two most popular shoes at my job where we have a heavy protective security workload. I actually moved from Eccos to Allen Edmonds specifically because of the lack of support in soft, cushy, sneaker-like soles like Eccos. Keep in mind who your recommendations are coming from; the vast majority of LEOs wearing suits and dress shoes aren't on their feet all day like someone at your gig or working a protection detail. I find there to be a big difference in the comfort of shoes and what I desire between intermittent office-type use versus being on my feet all day everyday as my normal week in/week out work schedule. Eccos are good for the former, not so great at the latter unless you're able to make sure you have time to rotate off your feet and are disciplined at using a roller.

Think of how soft cushy shoes are super comfortable for leisure, but for hard-use activities like sports and hiking a shoe equipped with Superfeet is often much more desirable for people needing arch support...and superfeet are hard as fuck, basically just a plastic insert.
    AE Sanford’s with leather soles and they have high mileage.

I’m seeing a lot of negative reviews on the AE site and wonder if their QC has nosedived.

Site Supporter
    FWIW- while my cobbler will still work on AEs and he says they are a decent shoe, he also says that they are not the shoe they once were. He has continually encouraged me to fix the vintage ones
    (4 pair-2 blk, 2 oxblood) I own.

While I know that happens to be to his benefit, I have seen him turn away too much work on more marginal shoes (both mens and womens) to think that money is driving his comments.

Virtually no one at my Courthouse is wearing a leather soled dress shoe for the job described. More than one have started out with the Corfam type uniform show with rubber soles. Most are wearing some type of obviously running/walking inspired shoe that has a significant leather toe area that can be shined. To TGS's point, I wonder if some are running some type of insole.

I will inquire, observe and report back.

Not LE, but if the Brooks full leather shoes are of interest, Fleet Feet has two stores in the area, one in Huntsville and one in Madison. They use a machine to measure foot impact while walking and can recommend inserts and shoes based on that information.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    AE Sanford’s with leather soles and they have high mileage.

I’m seeing a lot of negative reviews on the AE site and wonder if their QC has nosedived.
    Oh yeah, the ones with leather insoles are going to be tough for that job!

As far as QC, I'm not super into shoes...but from what reviews I have read and watched, it seems like the stuff people are complaining about is fairly nitpicky and wouldn't affect the actual function/comfort of the shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Virtually no one at my Courthouse is wearing a leather soled dress shoe for the job described. More than one have started out with the Corfam type uniform show with rubber soles. Most are wearing some type of obviously running/walking inspired shoe that has a significant leather toe area that can be shined. To TGS's point, I wonder if some are running some type of insole.

I will inquire, observe and report back.
    When we are wearing Allen Edmonds, it's almost exclusively with the Dainite rubber soles which are pretty robust rubber but offer some shock absorption compared to leather soles. We're prohibited by policy from wearing leather soles when on protection due to their lack of grip; I wouldn't be surprised if the contract that LWT16 is working on would have that same requirement. I don't think AEs are compatible with insoles.

My absolute favorite piece of footwear that I wear daily are my Higgins Mill boots with Chromexcel leather and a dainite rubber sole; they're more comfortable for extended wear on my feet compared to my AE Chelsea boots with a soft sneaker-like sole. I just checked and AE makes the Higgins Mill with water resistant leather in black leather with dainite sole that would work for LWT's job. They also have the same boot with a rubber lug sole, not sure if that would meet appearance requirements.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Not LE, but if the Brooks full leather shoes are of interest, Fleet Feet has two stores in the area, one in Huntsville and one in Madison. They use a machine to measure foot impact while walking and can recommend inserts and shoes based on that information.
    Fleet Feet is on my drive home. I’ll check that out.

User Tag List