Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Projecting Confidence in a Self-Defense Encounter

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    A little feather in the fun cap, for anyone who knows that guy’s background.

I have his famous knife design on me right now.
    I have one a few feet away, myself. (Didn't know about his association with the model when I bought two of the M2 versions, large and small.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Like Kenny Rogers said...

Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run.

Circumstances will vary. Choose wisely. Sometimes a nod is as good as a wink.
    ...to a blind horse.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Giving Back View Post

Second line, I contemplated for a bit. I’m not sure if I concur or not. There are a lot of misconceptions & misperceptions regarding LE, Mil, and civilian use of deadly force. LEOs have it pretty well laid out for them in writing, both statutory and agency policy……. Black and white, straight forward, and while a scenario may have ambiguity, the laws and policies do not. Stay inside of those, and you’ll be in a righteous shooting. Color outside the lines, and all bets are off.
    At least in my state, there's only one exception to when I use deadly force by statue that non-LE can't. To affect an arrest in certain situations. In the real world, it's a distinction without a difference. If you shoot the gunman running toward the playground, you're shooting to prevent danger to the kids and I'm shooting to do that and to affect an arrest simultaneously. It's very difficult to come up with a realistic scenario where I can shoot to affect an arrest and you can't shoot to prevent a threat to a 3rd party. I understand some states are more complex, but it's simple here and my policy only complicates it. You can choke someone. I can't. Even in a situation where my choice is shoot them in the head or choke them, I'm prohibited from choking them.

That's not the ambiguity I was referring to, though. I was thinking more along the lines of you know when someone is robbing you or breaking into your house. You may not realize their intent until the crime has started, but there's little ambiguity to those. You know who the threat is, or is likely to be. You know what the threat is. Compare to you are on a traffic stop at night, the driver is on his cell phone, and another car pulls in behind you. The situation is highly ambiguous. You may have a threat ahead of you, behind you, both, or neither. Believe it or not, sometimes idiots think it's perfectly fine to pull over behind a traffic stop and jump out of their car to ask you directions. 911 call and as you arrive shots go through the door. Were you lured to an ambush or is there an active shooter inside? That's the sort of ambiguity I was referring to. There's certainly exceptions in both directions, but on average the uniformed police officer will be faced with more moving parts and less clear input in more situations. I don't think the average citizen carrier needs two hundred role players to have an effective session (and I understand that you did not say they did, just touching back on my own experiences).

When I did teach, I used real world video to illustrate pre-attack indicators and separated that from their live scenarios based on those events, but it was live fire only so role players would not have had a good time. The fellow I partnered with said there was little demand for sims training among the GP locally, and I took him at his word.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Only a complete fool gets involved in a 3rd party problem when he’s not being paid to be involved.

I’m going to have agree to disagree.

I know LE has changed drastically since I wore a badge, but I’d have to believe the uninformed, untrained, barely shoots the gun, average CHL holder is not better prepared to deal with that ambiguity than a trained and experienced LEO.

Say our CHL holder is flagged down for directions. As he’s taking to the driver a car pulls up behind……

Or he arrives into his GF’s neighborhood and is randomly met by rifle fire.

Which moving parts does the Officer deal with here that the CHL holder doesn’t?

I understand there is a war on LEOs in the streets right now, and wearing the suit and shiny badge and cars with lights tends to make cops stand out. Certainly by profession our LEOs are much more likely to encounter such things than average CHL Joe, and as I understand it, modern LE TTPs cover some of these more extreme circumstances. What is the CHL holder relying on for his decision making in the same circumstances……. Who feels there is more ambiguity and less certainty? Dude who has had at least rudimentary training, is wearing body armor capable of stopping those rifle bullets, has assistance able to respond on short notice, and some street time to add some experience in high stress potentially deadly situations……… or dude who took the 3 hour class and paid his $50 to the Sheriff?
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 08-06-2022 at 11:22 PM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

" There is stuff I do in a jet or helicopter and don't think twice about, that I wouldn't consider ever in a Cub. My wife is a better Cub pilot than me, and there is stuff she routinely does on one way strips that I am not comfortable doing.)".

I can identify with that. I learned to fly in a J3 57 years ago, and about 95% of my time since has been in Cubs. Due to search and rescue flying decades ago, the majority of my landings and takeoffs have been off-field. If things are dicey, I'd rather be in a J3 than anything else. (this does not imply that I am a good pilot - for me, the most difficult conditions have been landings on levee tops in strong, extremely gusty direct crosswinds).

Site Supporter
    Shit, Sean. I had no idea. Not that I would have any real reason to, but, damn.

I teach recruits to "fake it till you make it", but I recently had to step in when a recruit's voice tones jumped an octave on the challenge.

I absolutely HATE taking notes immediately after being challenged. It is hard to seem tough and in control when your hands are shaking from the adrenalin rush,

My last great class (privately paid, of course) was when I took IAJJ from @Cecil Burch with my daughter. I was recovering from bronchitis, which gave me a dislocated rib. Dr. Youthingy gave me a solution, which fixed me, and then Tom Jones hammered me and redislocted the same rib. I felt like I was being stabbed with each breath. A friend, a former SARK with MARSOC told me about breaking a rib on a dive....

The point was...When you are hurting, and sucking wind, because, well, you suck...Said this in front of my daughter..

YOU CANNOT LET THE PUSSY FLAG FLY!

You absolutely must act like it is nothing major, or the prey will sense the opportunity to hurt you and/or to escape. And escaping can be harmful to you...

You are predator or prey.

Pick one.

You may not live up to the ideal, but mindset matters. Even if you only want to escape,

pat

Lord knows I'm no expert, but in my one experience of, I think, 'failing the interview', I wasn't thinking about projecting confidence, but I also wasn't thinking about what he was going to do to me - I was thinking about what I was going to do to him. My sense afterwards was he picked up on that and didn't like it. OTOH, maybe he did just need a light and didn't understand 'sorry, I don't smoke'.

On FoF training: I thought it was far and away the most valuable training I have had. I shot enough bullseye that I have never had much trouble with accuracy in defensive shooting classes - sight alignment and trigger control are the same, and you get to use two hands :-). It's not that those classes weren't useful - I got help with my draw, movers, low light, etc. All those were good. But the FoF was, IMHO, the most useful. For just one example, a guy had a gun in my face. Go for the disarm? Move and draw? He glanced away for a sec and I just lit a shuck down a hallway. I got 10 ft down the hall and around a corner before he could get a shot off. I wouldn't have wanted to try that experiment for the first time IRL. Getting to try that kind of decision making where the only consequence is a welt is pretty valuable, IMHO.

User Tag List