Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GIANT Problem with PayPal Terms of Service

GIANT Problem with PayPal Terms of Service

Saw this on Twitter.

Basically, PayPal can dock your account for $2,500 for anything they deem misinformation or hate speech. That's bad enough, but if we look under Prohibited Activities (https://www.paypal.com/us/legalhub/acceptableuse-full), then we find this:

You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

1. violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation.
    2. relate to transactions involving (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, (b) drug paraphernalia, (c) cigarettes, (d) items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, (e) stolen goods including digital and virtual goods, (f) the promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory or the financial exploitation of a crime, (g) items that are considered obscene, (h) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (i) certain sexually oriented materials or services, (j) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (k) certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law.
    Be careful. This policy probably will not withstand legal challenge but you don't want to be the test case.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

A buddy of mine had like $4500 seized by PayPal cuz the dipshit who bought 5.45 ammo from him put something like “ammo” in the PP payment info. And Jim didn’t transfer the $$ out immediately.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Saw this on Twitter.

Basically, PayPal can dock your account for $2,500 for anything they deem misinformation or hate speech. That's bad enough, but if we look under Prohibited Activities (https://www.paypal.com/us/legalhub/acceptableuse-full), then we find this:

Be careful. This policy probably will not withstand legal challenge but you don't want to be the test case.

Okie John
    Paypal is hot garbage and protects nothing as a buyer or a seller. Their moratorium on firearm or ammunition related transactions has been around for a long time though.

Ostensibly the hate speech policy only applies if it's a transaction involving hate speech, which I'd imagine would be something like using paypal to pay for or sell profoundly racist materials or books or something.

Still, that's why I resent having Paypal and I have it pointed at an account that I keep basically empty.

A scammer hit me for 50 bucks. I contacted PP resolution and they agreed I was owed some money. Lots of others were hit using PP by the same company.

OK. I got scammed. So did lots of other folks. Did PP do anything. Nope.

PP is worthless and the sooner people realize that the better we'll all be for that.

I see this site uses PP. That might not work for me on a reup.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post

Gotta believe we can do better.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Face to face. Friends. Handshakes. I don’t need anything that bad, nor do I need to sell anything that bad to be their bitch. Life went on just fine before them. It’ll go on just fine without them. Next!
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

How is this even legal? Seems a cease and desist letter from the Attorney General might have an effect? Oh wait...He's woke. Nevermind...

Site Supporter
    I think I put this in the BS thread, but, I've been working to close my PP account since that announcement came out (and was immediately rescinded).

I went through the trouble of figuring out a way for them to send me my <$3, then phoned (yes, phoned, via some convoluted chat session then phone) them and they told me they were having "technical problems" closing accounts.... and would I please mark my problem as closed since they removed all of the stops preventing my account from closing. I told them I would close the request when they closed my account (Schrodinger would be proud!). Logged in yesterday and the open request was deleted and I still can't close my account.

I was able to also delete all of my payment methods.... They don't let you delete the last one, but, I kept the nice Filipino lady on the phone long enough that she finally "worked out the problem" and deleted the last one. Then asked me to close the "close my account" request... LOL.

I opened up a fresh request.... let's see where it goes..

*Below images are from different days... so.. ignore time stamps...
    ** If you click the "End Message" button at the bottom, it closes the case!!!!!!

Name:  Close PP 1.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  14.4 KB
    Name:  PP Close 1.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  28.5 KB

Name:  Close PP 2.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  29.2 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post

IIRC, @LittleLebowski had a workaround you could do manually, but you'll have to get with him. Mods aren't involved in that aspect of the site.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Ages ago, I opened a paypal account to buy a Dillon reloading press off of ebay. If I recall, this was after their merger. At the time, reloading equipment was not on their "prohibited items/transactions" list or whatever... and was allowed by both paypal and ebay.

A few months later, they closed my account, for "firearms related transactions"... No skin off my nose, as I had never used the account since then, and their anti-gun bias was growing all the time. Them freezing accounts, and locking folks out of their money was enough to sour me even way back then. I never linked a checking or credit card account, thankfully.

Years later I kept getting emails about attempted updates to my account. Seems somehow they had allowed themselves to be hacked or what have you... and someone was trying to gain access to my long dormant, and I thought, closed, account. I had to CALL them and run the gauntlet to actually CLOSE my account for good. I suppose maybe it actually is closed now.

I sometimes wish I had never used their service. But I've made a lot of ammo on that press.

User Tag List