Thread: Problems with Amazon charges recently

Problems with Amazon charges recently

I check in with my bank online every morning to see what's cooking. I'm starting to see some very odd billing originating from things my wife and I order on Amazon. Last week she ordered something that was over charged 10X. $27.35 became 273.50 and posted as a debit on our account. She didn't order 10 but that's what she was charged. She only received one. Finally resolved by Amazon yesterday. Today I noticed I was billed twice for one item so back to the resolution bot.

I'm not sure how Amazon works but I suspect that some of the billing comes from the shipper which may not be Amazon. I've never seen any of these bogus charges before using Amazon. If you don't catch it I'm sure Amazon won't. I'm not accusing Amazon of fraud or anything like that because they will resolve it, but it looks like it may be a new scheme by people using Amazon to over charge and just hope you don't notice. The scams spread like a virus.

I'm starting to think that using a debit card isn't very smart.

Just a heads up.
    Last edited by Borderland; 10-29-2022 at 10:26 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I never use my debit card for an online purchase, you don't have the same fraud protection you get with a credit card.

As for billing problems with Amazon? I have not had any.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Yeah we had a purchase, not from Amazon I don't think, that was like $437.90 but the amount charged was $4,379.00. The receipt had the correct amount. I don't know if someone fat-fingered an extra zero (if that's even possible with everything being electronic) or just saw a business name on the card and hoped it was a big company that wouldn't notice. Or maybe it was a legit error somehow. Anyway Wells Fargo squared it away.

I remember years ago, when everything was paid with a check, some guy made a bunch of fake invoices for all kinds of stuff and sent them to companies hoping some secretary would not look twice and write a check. And they did. Thing is, this guy ran it like a business and answered his phone. If someone called and said "What's this invoice," he'd tell them to disregard it for now while he checked with his boss (there was no boss). So he'd just tell them to put it in the shredder rather than look any further into it.

I have all my accounts set up to email me as soon as any charge is processed. This allows me to see any unexpected activity immediately, and as a side effect I can confirm that Amazon purchases are charged correctly. All my Amazon purchases are done with an Amazon Chase card. I haven’t noticed anything screwy lately.

User Tag List