Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Our NOPE thread

Name:  FB_IMG_1628679680927.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  34.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Anyone here not on board with this plan is banned.
    Have you not seen Jurassic Park?

Site Supporter
    I have told this before:

1. Read a story about hunting in Africa, while in the doc's waiting room. Guy goes hunting with the guide and bearers. The guide says the buffalo is in the brush and he will go look. Ok, the buffalo charges out with the guide impaled on its horns above its head with one horn in the chest and the other in the guide's crotch. Then it runs off. The bearers run off. The client however chases after the buffalo who by then has shaken off the guide. The client manages to carry him to a village for a heli evacuation. His nuts were shoved clean up into his abdomen.

2. We come home. The neighbors have formed a circle around something. They are waving rakes, hoes, shovels, - like a Frankenstein movie. On the ground is a battered snake. They tell me it is a coral snake that surfaced on one driveway, crossed the road and then the pursuit began. Now there is a debate whether it is a coral snake or one that looks like one - red and black, red and yellow, blah, blah. I say that I have a TX snake book. I go get it and stand in the center over the dead snake with the book in one hand and pontificate, reading the description. An elderly couple walk by and ask me: Sir, are you a preacher?

Nope.

Site Supporter
    A couple of minutes watching the two scientists who got stung at the hospital makes theses tiny jelly fish a perfect fit for this thread.

And it looks like some some folks use an antipsychotic as part of the treatment protocol.

And an article from NCBI on treating the stings for nerds like me, with an interesting quote in the introduction.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK562264/

kandji syndrome is most notably caused by the jellyfish species Carukia barnesi, named after the scientist Jack Barnes, who discovered the species as the causative organism of the condition. Interestingly, he established the causative relationship after envenoming himself, his son, and a local lifeguard, which subsequently required treatment for the ensuing condition in a hospital.[3] As such, this particular species is commonly referred to as the “Irukandji jellyfish.”

Name:  Screenshot from 2022-08-11 12-06-47.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  50.7 KB

That's hard to look at. I wouldn't want to be the person standing on the dam let alone dangling out off of it. Hard Nope.

Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    This is kind of a weird sidebar but years ago Erin was in a Starbucks in Vancouver and they had some kind of sale or something on Komodo coffee and there was a bunch of signage about at and, in her words (also mine but this was fifteen years ago so I can't swear to the exact wording anymore)...

"I was in Starbucks this morning and this guy who sounded like that guy on the bus in Alabama says, 'has anyone seen a Komodo dragon?' and I look up and he looks just like Bill Clinton, only he's like six foot four."

"You don't say."

"Yeah and then I realized he was standing next to a guy who looked exactly like Lance Armstrong."

"Did you say anything?"

"I said, 'I've seen a Komodo dragon.'"

"And what did the guy who looked like Bill Clinton say?"

"He said 'well, I guess they're real after all.'"

"You didn't then say, "hey, how do you feel about the idea that you share this interesting arc with Richard Nixon in that you were a President out of step with the populace, although in your case you were a change-president at a time when America was looking to conserve itself, while Nixon was a conservative president at a time of change, but you were both ultimately brought down by your human frailties and in both cases this led to impeachment proceedings and to a large degree public opinion about you relates more to those dark human drives and venial sins than to any particular policy decisions made under your administration?'"

"No."

"Well, I guess I'll never get to know his take on that, then."

"But that wasn't Bill Clinton, was it? He was really tall."

"Bill Clinton's quite tall."

"Do you think it was him?"

"I think it was Bill Clinton and Lance Armstrong, hanging out together in Starbucks with you, yes."

"That doesn't seem really likely."

"No, but it's probably true."

"Because he was tall?"

"Because they're both in town for a speaking engagement."

"Oh my god...was I talking to Bill Clinton?"

"Yep. If you see him around again can you ask him about the Nixon thing, now that you're chummy?"

"No."

"So he gets his Komodo dragon question answered and I get nothing. Typical."

"What is that typical of?"

"I don't know, Presidents?"

"Huh. Yeah, I guess so."
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I have told this before:

1. Read a story about hunting in Africa, while in the doc's waiting room. Guy goes hunting with the guide and bearers. The guide says the buffalo is in the brush and he will go look. Ok, the buffalo charges out with the guide impaled on its horns above its head with one horn in the chest and the other in the guide's crotch. Then it runs off. The bearers run off. The client however chases after the buffalo who by then has shaken off the guide. The client manages to carry him to a village for a heli evacuation. His nuts were shoved clean up into his abdomen.

2. We come home. The neighbors have formed a circle around something. They are waving rakes, hoes, shovels, - like a Frankenstein movie. On the ground is a battered snake. They tell me it is a coral snake that surfaced on one driveway, crossed the road and then the pursuit began. Now there is a debate whether it is a coral snake or one that looks like one - red and black, red and yellow, blah, blah. I say that I have a TX snake book. I go get it and stand in the center over the dead snake with the book in one hand and pontificate, reading the description. An elderly couple walk by and ask me: Sir, are you a preacher?

Nope.
    I liked this the first time it was posted, and cannot officially "like" it again. So I am UNOFFICIALLY doing so! (all of it, by the way, for Story #2). It made me laugh out loud just like the first time I read it!

User Tag List