Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard Chroming

Lives to Enable Revolvers Stephanie B's Avatar

Hard Chroming

I'm thinking of getting my 3rd Generation Colt Ds hard-chromed. (Not that it'll ever happen.)

So anyhoo, I started doing some research and came across Accurate Plating & weaponry, aka Cogan Custom. The very first thing one sees on that web page is this:
    “EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY! AP&W WILL NO LONGER WORK ON TAURUS FIREARMS, DUE TO THE LACK OF SUPPORT FROM TAURUS’ CUSTOMER SUPPORT TEAM AND THEIR LACK OF KNOWLEDGE REGARDING THEIR OWN FIREARMS.”
    So.... buyer beware, I guess.
    "When confronted by a missing web page, do not gnash thy teeth, but rather, press forward with a fine countenance towards the next available page." -- George Washington

One of my best friends has a 19-2 that was hardchromed in the late 70s. It still looks great and runs great. It's a woods carry gun. Makes Cera-Kote a joke. Armaloy did the work. Don't know if they are still around or if AP&W absorbed them.

I probably would not have spent the money to hard chrome a Taurus, but a Colt Detective…

I have a couple of S&W revos done by APW.

Very happy with the plating, that's what they do best.

Some APW hard-chrome .....

People that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not "victims" ... they're accomplices.

Lives to Enable Revolvers Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Some APW hard-chrome .....

Oh, my. That is pretty. Is that the brushed/polished finish?
    "When confronted by a missing web page, do not gnash thy teeth, but rather, press forward with a fine countenance towards the next available page." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Oh, my. That is pretty. Is that the brushed/polished finish?
    Yes, this is a brushed finish, which always struck me as a bit of a misnomer. The matte option makes the gun look like a toy IMO and the "texture" of the matte finish is a bit of a bitch to clean.

I will mention this; If there's anything you need done to your guns, do it before it gets plated as the plating doesn't hide anything with regards to dents & dings. HC can be removed, but it isn't a straightforward (or cheap) proposition like stripping a blued gun. The upside to HC in my mind, is the fact that the gun is essentially suspended in time with regards to wear and tear. That's a useful feature with guns like old Colt's as they can be a PIA when it comes to parts and service. A friend of mine had a S&W M19 chromed back in the 70's and that gun has never gone out of time - despite having been shot a zillion times.

Armand Swenson was a huge fan of HC and most of his guns were so plated. It's also my understanding that HC was a fix for the galling issues related to some early stainless steel handguns.
    People that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not "victims" ... they're accomplices.

In the early days before specialized firearm platers existed, industrial hard chrome players like Metaloy and Armoloy adapted their processes to firearms. Bill Wilson tells a story of how the first gun (his personal 1911) ever plated by Metaloy was done one night "after hours and after a few beers" as a totally impromptu experiment.

I had this one done by Armoloy in 1979 ..... cost was about $80, IIRC. It looks as good today as it did then, despite being carried as a duty-gun for several years.

Last edited by 41magfan; 08-05-2022 at 09:48 PM.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    AP&W hard chromed a Beretta 92 for me probably close to 20 years ago, now. It came out splendid:

Name:  15242029_702886786539656_4931203698328757077_n.jpeg
Views: 315
Size:  91.2 KB
    Name:  20294008_833704070124593_133600441023552486_n.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  53.5 KB
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter

Hard Chroming

In 1973 while working as a uniform officer in Miami (Dade County PSD) I had my S&W model 19 armoloyed. Shortly thereafter I contacted Guy Hogue who was with LAPD & sent him an outline of my hand. Mr. Hogue made a set of grips out of goncalo alves that fit my hand perfectly. The grips had what he called a recoil shoulder which he felt helped redirect the recoil of the revolver. I still have the armoloyed Model 19 & it is still wearing Mr. Hogues grips & both are still in excellent shape. A testimony to quality workmanship.

User Tag List