Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm gonna make my own Stack-A-Toe, but better...with blackjack. And hookers.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    The safety levers themselves are made of a steel stamping. The positive "click" of the safety comes from the interaction of the angles stamped on the safety lever itself and the detent in the sear block. If the detent can move freely (sometimes molding lines might need to be smoothed out a bit) and the spring isn't kinked, just replacing the safety lever can be sufficient to clear up a mushy safety engagement. Sometimes simply taking it apart and putting it back together more carefully can solve the problem as it's easy to not get things assembled exactly right when you're trying to keep everything aligned to drive the sear housing pin through.

When I first installed the safety on the gun in the OP, it was mushier than I was hoping. I disassembled and reassembled with a little more care put into getting the safety lever exactly where I wanted it. I used a punch as a sort of slave pin to get the sear block in the gun and played with the exact position of the safety until it gave the positive click I wanted, then drove out the punch using the factory pin. That helps significantly.

The M&P safety isn't quite as good as a 1911 safety. They tend to sit flatter when disengaged than your typical 1911 safety which tends to have the extension on the safety sit at the top and extend at a slight upward angle. That tends to put the strong hand thumb a little bit higher on the gun. On the M&P, though, you don't really have to run your whole thumb on top of the safety to effectively deactivate it or keep it deactivated. I've found that using the phalanx of my thumb (the middle bone of the thumb) at just the rear corner I can reliably deactivate the safety and keep it off during shooting.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 08-18-2022 at 10:32 AM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    I'm more and more intrigued by the Stack-A-Toe S&W concept.

For those who have experience with them, how does the Apex 'Forward Set Trigger' kit compare to the stock PPQ/PDP/VP9 triggers? Does it reach the level of 'mediocre 1911 trigger?'

Since the M&P has a manual safety, I'd like to leverage that to pursue as light and crisp a trigger as possible fo it.
    The forward set trigger has minimal takeup and minimal overtravel. Essentially when your finger is on the trigger, you're almost immediately working the sear. I don't like that, others do.

As for "light", it's going to vary a bit based on the exact dimensions of your gun and what the current trigger weight is. Somewhere in the 3-5 pound range is about where you'll end up just by putting the forward set kit in.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The forward set trigger has minimal takeup and minimal overtravel. Essentially when your finger is on the trigger, you're almost immediately working the sear. I don't like that, others do.

As for "light", it's going to vary a bit based on the exact dimensions of your gun and what the current trigger weight is. Somewhere in the 3-5 pound range is about where you'll end up just by putting the forward set kit in.
    So, relevant to this topic, almost exactly like a 1911 trigger.

Im trying to decide between the FST and the carry trigger that’s only a lb more in pull weight. Can you compare the two by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post

Im trying to decide between the FST and the carry trigger that’s only a lb more in pull weight. Can you compare the two by any chance?
    Beyond what I've said, no.

The duty trigger has a long, relatively light takeup. That gives you more opportunity to realize you are moving the trigger.

The forward set trigger has minimal takeup. If you are on the trigger assume you're on the sear.

It really boils down to that.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Beyond what I've said, no.

The duty trigger has a long, relatively light takeup. That gives you more opportunity to realize you are moving the trigger.

The forward set trigger has minimal takeup. If you are on the trigger assume you're on the sear.

It really boils down to that.
    Thank you.

In terms of the actual wall / crispness of the break, is there much difference between them? And do they have comparable levels of over travel.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post

Apex or not a pivoting trigger will never feel like a sliding trigger

To piggyback off the thread - I have one of the original long slide 1.0 versions with the poor accuracy from around 2009/2010. It’s not terrible but not great either. I put it in the safe and never bothered trying to fix it. At the time folks were sending them back to S&W and reporting mixed results.

Do the current Apex drop in barrels fix the accuracy issue of the 1.0? If I could fix the accuracy issue for a $140 barrel, this might make a fun project.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Apex or not a pivoting trigger will never feel like a sliding trigger
    Agreed.

“…minimal take up. If you are on the trigger, assume you are on the sear .”

That does ​scream 1911 trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Racoon View Post
    To piggyback off the thread - I have one of the original long slide 1.0 versions with the poor accuracy from around 2009/2010. It’s not terrible but not great either. I put it in the safe and never bothered trying to fix it. At the time folks were sending them back to S&W and reporting mixed results.

Do the current Apex drop in barrels fix the accuracy issue of the 1.0? If I could fix the accuracy issue for a $140 barrel, this might make a fun project.
    To expand, is it reasonable to expect a well tuned 1.0 to be as accurate as a well tuned 2.0?
    David S.

This thread has me debating the relative merits of acquiring that specific SKU and adding the thumb safety....or getting a 2.0 compact with TS and having the slide milled for an acro. Adding the Apex goodies would be a wash.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List