Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm gonna make my own Stack-A-Toe, but better...with blackjack. And hookers.

Yes; what one gives up in flexibility with the MOS system, one gets a possible failure point-the plate, screws, etc., removed from the equation.
    We had the early V1 version of the Steiner with its odd 12 hour auto off. The two T&E samples fit on C&H ACRO plates with no issues.

Some dedicated folks locally favor the enclosed emitters: ACROs of both generations (when the dang things can be found), followed by Holosun 509Ts. Two examples of the EPS Carry with less than a thousand rounds apiece-no issues yet.

Can’t comment on the trigger, but it sounds nice…

Came across a nice test of the Apex M&P barrels:

https://www.ssusa.org/content/apex-t...n-m-p-pistols/

Note these are 25-50rd groups, not the normal 5rd group.

How difficult are the gunsmith fit barrels to install? Any shops out there that does that service?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    How difficult are the gunsmith fit barrels to install?
    According to Apex, they have double the amount of extra material on the fitting pad at the bottom and more material at the back of the barrel hood that the semi-drop in barrels have. So it means twice the filing...or, if you have a mill, you just mill it to fit.

On those it's the fitting at the muzzle end I find to be the real chore. I've done it, but it wasn't fun or easy.

You might be able to call up Apex and have them fit the barrel for you, or at least fit it to the slide and you can do the frame fitting yourself...which would be ideal. Fitting the barrel to the frame is the easiest part.
    3/15/2016

I have a M&P 1.0 that I sent to Apex for all of their parts to get installed. It is now one of my better shooting guns.

I only have two issues with it. I wish it had a thumb safety and it doesn't like reloaded ammo. I get lots of failures to feed with reloads.

If I invested in a rollsizer, I am sure that issue would go away.

Is there any easy way to get a thumb safety installed on a non-TS version?

Site Supporter
    How do these barrels compare to the gen 5 glock barrels? I’ve seen some people say that the marksman barrels are accurate enough that they don’t feel an aftermarket barrel to be necessary, but we’re still talking about a fitted barrel vs. a non fitted barrel here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    How do these barrels compare to the gen 5 glock barrels? I’ve seen some people say that the marksman barrels are accurate enough that they don’t feel an aftermarket barrel to be necessary, but we’re still talking about a fitted barrel vs. a non fitted barrel here.
    My anecdotal experience has been that Gen5 barrels are definitely a step up from previous generations. I know I’m pleased with hits on a 50 yard steel silhouette when I do my part. A quick ‘net search shows an NRA article on a Gen5 19 that averaged less than 2” @25 yards with 3 factory loads.
    Given the chart above, it would appear that the Gen5 barrels are at least as good as and perhaps better than the aftermarket options.

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    Precisely.

I have two Gen5 G17 pistols. The first one I bought is a laser beam. I've used it to kill squirrels at ridiculous distances, my furthest shot being just under 70 yards. My second gun, my primary training gun, was nowhere close to that level of accuracy. I put in a KKM barrel and it does a little bit better, but it's still not like my original Gen5 G17.

The Gen5 9mm guns are considerably better, but keep in mind "better" is off of a pretty "meh" standard. Your typical Gen3 or Gen4 Glock was probably a 4"-5" gun. The Gen5 exists in part to FBI requirements for a new gun and they specified a higher level of accuracy. (Gets back to that whole "accuracy is additive" thing) Glock revised the barrel geometry to get a better lockup and that seems to have largely done the trick.

I know at least one federal agency was experiencing some vertical stringing with Gen5 G19 pistols and Glock updated their guns with new locking blocks that supposedly fixed the problem.

A non-fitted barrel is really a roll of the dice. You're hoping it mates up with the locking surfaces in the slide and frame better than the factory barrel. With the Gen3 Glocks that was a pretty good bet.

If we take an exceptionally accurate specimen like my original Gen5 G17 and put it head to head with my gun from the original post of this thread, my money is on the M&P having significant margin on the G17.

...so much so that it's now the gun I'm carrying. It's more mechanically accurate and it's easier to get the accuracy out of the gun, at least in my hands.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I have a M&P 1.0 that I sent to Apex for all of their parts to get installed. It is now one of my better shooting guns.

I only have two issues with it. I wish it had a thumb safety and it doesn't like reloaded ammo. I get lots of failures to feed with reloads.

If I invested in a rollsizer, I am sure that issue would go away.

Is there any easy way to get a thumb safety installed on a non-TS version?
    On a 1.0 with the serial number plate right where the safety would otherwise be, I don't know of one.
    3/15/2016

Fit a semi drop in to a 2.0 M&P. No fitting needed at the muzzle.

.002 off the end of the hood and .0015 off each side of the hood done on a mill. Then hand filed the pad until I had the lock up I wanted.

User Tag List