Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm gonna make my own Stack-A-Toe, but better...with blackjack. And hookers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I'll put it in guitar terms: Joe Bonamassa...
    I've enjoyed all your posts in this thread, but I liked that one just for the Bonamassa reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    And, with companies like S&W and Glock currently reserving their direct mount solutions to a small subset of the market (LE applications), that won't be happening as soon as it otherwise could.
    I agree. One thing about Glock is you can buy an aftermarket slide for about what the milling costs.
    I was in this quandary when recently building up my first serious RDO pistol. I wanted the SRO because I wanted the RDO learning curve to be as easy as possible. The CORE system doesn't seem to be working out as well as the MOS system, so I wanted to avoid plates, and the CORE guns are more expensive, so I bought one of the simple guns and spent $150 getting it milled. As far as being future proof, I did this with the SRO/RMR footprint, I gotta think there is going to be suitable optic out there that could land there for a long time.

I had no idea that this thread was about an bootleg Stack aka Apex'd M&P. This is my fav setup and part of a group of 7 guns I own which I deem, "Guns I can't miss with even if I tried to" or...

"Even if I miss i can't miss"

My Apex M&P is in good company with guns ranging from $1100 (USP Expert 45) upwards to $2800 (Ed Brown Kobra Carry 45). The 3 in the group below the $1100 mark are the G17L with Timney, the PDP 5", and my M&P.

Sure it takes a $200 barrel (that you fit) along with an optional trigger. But is it worth it? IMO yes, yes, good God yes.

Can't comment on a Staccato since I don't own one (yet) or a DWX (which is next on the list) but what I can say is the Apex M&P is the platform I am the most precise in and have the most confidence in. The flat trigger has the Duty spring kit (not the FSS as i originally thought) so it's a PPQ/PDP-like trigger but with a slightly heavier break (still super crisp with no overtravel) and a shorter take-up.

20 yards w/ 124gr STV 9mm

Now I am interested in a M&P 2.0 Metal. Have they fixed the early unlocking issue or would I need an Apex Barrel for the precision and an Apex Trigger to achieve these results out of the box?
    Last edited by coN; 01-27-2023 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coN View Post
    Sure it takes a $200 barrel (that you fit) along with an optional trigger.
    Double checking, this is the semi drop-in?
    That you fit yourself?

ETA: Asking because it seems like many folks here did the GS fit, if yours is fit with files that is really impressive IMO.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-27-2023 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I'll put it in guitar terms: Joe Bonamassa has a fetish for vintage guitars. He spends rude amounts of money collecting very rare and special guitars that sound amazing. He stopped touring with a number of them because the risk of destroying sometimes one of a kind instruments is too great when the guitar goes on tour. But he has other guitars that he thrashes the living shit out of on stage.

Or cars: There are cars you might want because they are beautiful or rare or special in some way that you drive on a nice spring day to get ice cream with the wife/girlfriend. Then there are cars that exist as essentially weapons intended for speed that you run until the brakes are on fire. (I did that to an X6M one time on a track, much to the chagrin of the BMW people)

It be kind of like that.

My M&P does not evoke that loving feeling the way a 1911 does (Neither does the Toe, at least not for me) but what it does do is show itself to be an exceptionally good instrument when actually used. Nobody looking at it has any idea what it is capable of.

The reason some of those guitars that Joe Bonamassa collects are so valuable is because of the people who played them. Some of them started out bang-on identical to dozens, hundreds, or thousands of other guitars that look exactly the same but there were subtle modifications and wear that came along with being the preferred instrument of a skilled player. With a lot of them the preference came because it fit how they wanted to use it better than other guitars.

This is as close as I've been able to get to everything I really want in a pistol. It's not quite perfect, but it's closer than anything else on the market.
    Chalk up another fan of your posts in this thread.

Recently I retook a class from a local instructor. I've been through his classes several times but it had been awhile since I've been there or anywhere shooting anything other than Glocks in GSSF matches or attempting to stay somewhat proficient with a G17 airsoft on scaled targets. To this class I took my Gen 1.0 M&P 9. After shooting the Glocks for over a year and just playing around with a CZ P10C, shooting the M&P again was like being with your old high school girlfriend when all things in life were good. I was reminded instantly why I have 4 variants (used to be 5) of the 1.0 M&P in my safe.

This thread has reminded me of what I had forgotten. I'm grabbing a 2.0 and going the APEX route. Now only to decide if I want a M&P Compact 3.6" or 4" and whether I need to stop at the trigger or go all the way with a barrel too. Probably the latter but this thread and that recent class has cemented the decision.

Question to all:
    I was seeing one of the slide milling houses stating that if you sent in a M&P 1.0 slide for milling they would just ship it right back. Any ideas on why? I wasn't under the impression that they were all that different from 2.0 slides. Machining tolerances maybe? If I'm going down this road I think I want a direct mill and nitride unless the factory optic ready cut is good enough. My impression is that it's sub optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Double checking, this is the semi drop-in?
    That you fit yourself?

ETA: Asking because it seems like many folks here did the GS fit, if yours is fit with files that is really impressive IMO.
    Yes, they offer 2 options AFAIK: the semi drop-in or the full oversized GS barrel that requires a gunsmith to precisely fit it to your M&P. The semi drop-in still requires some filing and Apex sells a jig to help with the process. Ive done it with my 4.25" shown and a 5" peanut butter model. Took awhile to get the barrels to fit, NGL but man was it worth it. Sidenote: I have a Timney Alpha trigger in the 5" model after my experience with the Glock Timney, but im sure if i were to swap to an Apex flatty I would get results close (or as good if not better) to my 4.25".

*BUT* to be fair, it takes $300+ more (barrel & trigger) to get that performance. For the price to jump into it, is it a hell of a value simply for the *HUGE* leap in performance. I am pleased with what I can do with a pistol that cost total (for me) $750 after parts. The closest thing ive come across out of the box is a PDP ($600) but in my hands as well as others, it cant catch my M&P in the repeatable precision dept despite a slightly heavier break on the trigger. I cannot fathom the results coming from a quality gunsmith fitting the GS Apex barrel and a much better shooter than I.

When all is said and done, the Apex stuff makes the M&P punch waaaaaaaaay above its weight class IMO. Its a testament to Randy Lee's accomplishments.
    Last edited by coN; 01-27-2023 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coN View Post
    Yes, they offer 2 options AFAIK: the semi drop-in or the full oversized GS barrel that requires a gunsmith to precisely fit it to your M&P. The semi drop-in still requires some filing and Apex sells a jig to help with the process. Ive done it with my 4.25" shown and a 5" peanut butter model.

When all is said and done, the Apex stuff makes the M&P punch waaaaaaaaay above its weight class IMO. Its a testament to Randy Lee's accomplishments.
    Yup, I have done two SDI myself, just that my eyes are probably the LimFac with iron sights and my dot gun is waiting on the backordered barrel. Your results are great.

And Randy and Scott are IMO just great guys that make great gear.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesso...ags-w-bag.html

SMITH AND WESSON M&P M2.0 9MM 4.25" BARREL 17-ROUNDS 5 MAGS W/ BAG (w/thumb safety). $599. Nice deal, especially with S&W’s $100 rebate.

I think I saw better deals elsewhere through gun.deals.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesso...ags-w-bag.html

SMITH AND WESSON M&P M2.0 9MM 4.25" BARREL 17-ROUNDS 5 MAGS W/ BAG (w/thumb safety). $599. Nice deal, especially with S&W’s $100 rebate.

I think I saw better deals elsewhere through gun.deals.
    Battlehawk Armory is $536 for the same SKU before rebate. That’s a hell of a deal!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Easy, just get one chambered in .45 ACP.

Okay, that was a non-serious answer since most folks think "9x19" in this context. But M&P45s (and G21s) seem to be more consistently accurate in factory form than their 9x19 brethren.
    The 40 as well. IIRC the officer in the article was 100 yards out on horseback or holding a horse.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/austin-co...-crazed-gunman

User Tag List