Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm gonna make my own Stack-A-Toe, but better...with blackjack. And hookers.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I have a M&P 1.0 that I sent to Apex for all of their parts to get installed. It is now one of my better shooting guns.

I only have two issues with it. I wish it had a thumb safety and it doesn't like reloaded ammo. I get lots of failures to feed with reloads.

If I invested in a rollsizer, I am sure that issue would go away.

Is there any easy way to get a thumb safety installed on a non-TS version?
    I have an extremely late production M&P 9C that seems to have a minimum spec chamber. It will accept most of my reloads, but the cast bullets are a strict no-go. Since I often buy bulk once-fired brass I bought an early Hornady carbide Durachrome die set. They usually had really, really, tight sizing dies that didn't have the big chamfer at the entry to make use with progressive presses easier. That has given me some really tightly sized cases, and I buy .355 diameter jacketed bullets to load for it. This has taken care of the practice ammo issue for me so far. I almost put it on an auction but nobody wanted a Gen 1 gun. The same auction ads run for them over and over. Too bad for them, it's a great shooter.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

I would like to give this a try but the LE only SKU is frustrating. And it appears that TCA’s has a thumb safety but the only one I see on S&W’s website is sans safety. Perhaps I am missing something (which is likely).

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/mp-m20-1?sku=13353

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    I would like to give this a try but the LE only SKU is frustrating. And it appears that TCA’s has a thumb safety but the only one I see on S&W’s website is sans safety. Perhaps I am missing something (which is likely).

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/mp-m20-1?sku=13353
    The 13353 SKU is the model TC managed to get. He added the thumb safety himself.

Quote Originally Posted by SamueL View Post
    The 13353 SKU is the model TC managed to get. He added the thumb safety himself.
    Thanks, I missed that on the first few read throughs.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Correct.

Adding the thumb safety yourself is easy if you are familiar with the guts of an M&P and have a frame that has the knockouts for it. (All 2.0 frames do...well, not the new metal one, it looks like)

To give some idea of how ridiculous this LE restricted SKU is, I saw one on Gunbroker yesterday (the first one I've seen) and I bought it immediately only to have the seller contact me and say they got a communication from S&W that required them to get approval to sell those guns and asking me if I wanted to wait for the approval. I declined to wait and see.

I did manage to find one up for sale elsewhere and I'm going to pick it up hopefully this evening. That way I can follow my usual practice of having a training gun and a carry gun configured identically.
    3/15/2016

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Apex has M&P barrels back in stock.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Apex has M&P barrels back in stock.
    My brother's getting one right now. The flat trigger and forward set sear for his compact sized TS model has yielded a trigger pull of about 3lbs. Hopefully the barrel will solve his accuracy woes.

The modern 1911.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

But what if you could get about everything people want from a Stack-A-Toe for less than half the price?

So for $1050 and a little bit of elbow grease I have the most mechanically accurate handgun I've ever owned with a grip that actually fits my hand and an optic mounting process that is as simple as it can get.

ARay and I will likely be doing some side by side comparisons of the Stack-A-Toe and this build to see what's what...but my money is on the Apex'd M&P.
    I've been thinking a lot about this concept and I really like it.

Since you're the progenitor of the idea, what should do you think we should call this build?

Sort of how the G19+Comp+X300 became the 'Roland Special' as a shorthand. What should this Ghetto 2011 Apex M&P build be called?

Name:  20220914_141301.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  47.6 KB

We just got this aluminum framed M&P9 in to the shop today. I had no idea they were even making these until I unboxed it to book it in. Might end up having to give it a home if it sits around for a bit so I can play along with the group again...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

What’s the smart pick on Apex trigger if you’re not running a safety?

User Tag List