Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm gonna make my own Stack-A-Toe, but better...with blackjack. And hookers.

I’d like to see a 4” milled for the ACRO.

Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    A couple of interesting new offerings from the S&W LE lineup for your Stack-A-Toe consideration:

All black M&P Metal with night sights LE SKU 13771:
    Attachment 105744

M2.0 Full-size with Holosun SCS and low-witness night sights LE SKU 13943:
    Attachment 105743
    Maybe in a few years S&W will offer an a black, all metal M&P Compact cut for the Acro to the civilian market.

It seems strange that S&W can’t realize that lots of people, not just agencies, would want a metal frame pistol in black not grey, with the slide cut for a direct mount optic like the Acro.

Personally, I’m done with using plates, and would really like to be done with using tiny screws.
    Last edited by Tannhauser; 06-16-2023 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
    Personally, I’m done with using plates
    It does seem like the notion of wanting to future-proof your options might be overrated. Between the ACRO and Trijicon there is going to always be something that will fit on your slide.
    My experience is (currently) limited, but I decided to direct mill for an SRO. You can easily mail just the slide, and I didn't refinish and none of the bare stainless is visible.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    It does seem like the notion of wanting to future-proof your options might be overrated. Between the ACRO and Trijicon there is going to always be something that will fit on your slide.
    My experience is (currently) limited, but I decided to direct mill for an SRO. You can easily mail just the slide, and I didn't refinish and none of the bare stainless is visible.
    If I could have all my wishes, the major pistol makers would all decide on a common interface cut, similar to the now universal commonality of Picatinny rails.

Is it Acro? 509T? Something else? I don’t know, and to an extent, don’t really care. Backwards compatibility would be possible with interface plates that clamped yo the new slide cut, but new design pistol optics rotor be immediately compatible.

I’m sure it will never happen, because it makes too much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
    If I could have all my wishes, the major pistol makers would all decide on a common interface cut, similar to the now universal commonality of Picatinny rails.
    I agree, but might be a Chicken Or The Egg situation, with the optic manufacturers making their products without any commonality. There were many that mimiced Trijicon, but now Aimpoint has a bit of a superior game-changer aproach. Perhpas the optic manufacturers might come up with an M-Lok-ish shared standard, but probably not.

Also, being 64yo and all, a maybe someday thing might eat into my window of opportunity, so I took a plunge and had a $500 pistol milled for a specific (common) optic. The probability of no suitable optic being available for the SRO footprint in my timeframe of being alive/young enough to care is low enough to roll those dice.

Couple of thoughts. First, I don't think there can be standard for pistol optic/red dot footprints. That's too restrictive when it comes to the continued evolution, which results in better and often cheaper optics for the consumer. Competition requires options. However, I think there could be a common standard for an MOS cut on the factory gun. That makes it easier for an aftermarket manufacturer to develop and make adapter plates. I have an M&P 2.0 10mm with the optics cut. IIRC, only one of the plates provided is actually metal. The others are plastic. I would have to look in my G45 MOS box to see if the plates are plastic (I think they are). I bought a C&H plate for the Holosun 509T. If the MOS (I know, that's Glock's name, but I'll use it as an easy standard - like "Kleenex" instead of facial tissue) was the same for all/most guns, then the sight developers would have the freedom to design their optics, and the adapter. I don't think it would violate RICO for them to agree to such a standard.

Small deviation but still within the Stack-A-Toe theme. I bought one of the new Beretta 92XI SAO guns and have done some tweaks. I call it my Spaghetti Staccato (or Stack-A-Toe). It fits with the same "box" as the Staccato and M&P, i.e. Single action, double stack, 9mm. I'd argue that the Beretta is conceptually closer to the Staccato as it is also a hammer fired gun. But no polymer except for the stocks. FYI, LTT has now released their tweaked version and I'm eager to see the reviews... and their TJIB.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
    Couple of thoughts. First, I don't think there can be standard for pistol optic/red dot footprints. That's too restrictive when it comes to the continued evolution, which results in better and often cheaper optics for the consumer. Competition requires options. However, I think there could be a common standard for an MOS cut on the factory gun. That makes it easier for an aftermarket manufacturer to develop and make adapter plates. I have an M&P 2.0 10mm with the optics cut. IIRC, only one of the plates provided is actually metal. The others are plastic. I would have to look in my G45 MOS box to see if the plates are plastic (I think they are). I bought a C&H plate for the Holosun 509T. If the MOS (I know, that's Glock's name, but I'll use it as an easy standard - like "Kleenex" instead of facial tissue) was the same for all/most guns, then the sight developers would have the freedom to design their optics, and the adapter. I don't think it would violate RICO for them to agree to such a standard.

Small deviation but still within the Stack-A-Toe theme. I bought one of the new Beretta 92XI SAO guns and have done some tweaks. I call it my Spaghetti Staccato (or Stack-A-Toe). It fits with the same "box" as the Staccato and M&P, i.e. Single action, double stack, 9mm. I'd argue that the Beretta is conceptually closer to the Staccato as it is also a hammer fired gun. But no polymer except for the stocks. FYI, LTT has now released their tweaked version and I'm eager to see the reviews... and their TJIB.
    OEM Glock MOS plates are metal, but they are cheaply casted and often not perfectly flat and therefore frequently break with use, and have very little thread engagement. An aftermarket plate is kinda mandatory.

Agreed on the 92XI.

Question

Getting close to putting together a M&P, so I am obtaining the parts necessary for this project. Does anyone have links to all the parts needed for the manual safety kit? I have found thumb safeties, but I can't seem to find a source for all the required parts. Thank you.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    You need the thumb safety levers, the safety detent, and the safety detent spring.

Ebay has sellers that have put all three into one kit.
    3/15/2016

S&W will be offering factory milled 509T guns soon, at least as an LE SKU initially, I dont know the SKU yet. I would guess metal framed factory-milled Acro and 509T guns will also be in the future.

User Tag List