Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm making the SCD/Holstering Safety for the CZ P-10; Ask me your questions!

I'm making the SCD/Holstering Safety for the CZ P-10; Ask me your questions!

Hello,

My name is Benjamin MacDonald, and I am the designer of the Striker Control Device for the CZ P-10. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Just to get out ahead of some of them:
    Yes, this is my first product.
    They will be made in the USA out of 416 SS.
    The pictures you can currently see on my website are of a crappy steel 3d printed prototype, and do not reflect the finish/machining of the finished parts.
    This is not the only gun I intend to make a SCD for.
    I renamed it "Holstering Safety" so that those unfamiliar with the Glock version can at least begin to grasp the function from the name alone.

I appreciate all the positivity I have seen so far from this forum, and I also appreciate Tom Jones recommending I get on here and have a chat with you guys! I am not generally familiar with forums or how they work exactly (I am 22, and I skipped the forum era and went straight to social media) so forgive me if I don't quite know how to run this thing!

My website for those who didn't already see it! www.danforthdesigns.com

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by benmac View Post
    Hello,

My name is Benjamin MacDonald, and I am the designer of the Striker Control Device for the CZ P-10. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Just to get out ahead of some of them:
    Yes, this is my first product.
    They will be made in the USA out of 416 SS.
    The pictures you can currently see on my website are of a crappy steel 3d printed prototype, and do not reflect the finish/machining of the finished parts.
    This is not the only gun I intend to make a SCD for.
    I renamed it "Holstering Safety" so that those unfamiliar with the Glock version can at least begin to grasp the function from the name alone.

I appreciate all the positivity I have seen so far from this forum, and I also appreciate Tom Jones recommending I get on here and have a chat with you guys! I am not generally familiar with forums or how they work exactly (I am 22, and I skipped the forum era and went straight to social media) so forgive me if I don't quite know how to run this thing!

My website for those who didn't already see it! www.danforthdesigns.com

Thanks again!
    Welcome to Pistol-Forum, Ben. There has been a lot of interest in SCDs for non-Glock pistols, so we're excited to see this happening.

Also, please note that Forum policy is that you need to be a Supporting Business to advertise here.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

@benmac welcome to the forum, and good for you for diving into this concept. If I may, the fact that you are 22 gives me hope for the future, so thanks for that. Best of luck with the new “SCD/Holstering Safety” effort!
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I was under the impression that the Glock type of SCD was not compatible with pretensioned striker fired pistols. This would open up more options for people who like pistols with more of a 1911 type grip angle and also like a manual thumb safety or SCD on their striker fired pistol. If possible, I would like to see someone possibly make one for the new Springfield Armory Eschelon pistol also.
    Last edited by Biggy; 11-21-2023 at 11:52 AM.

Site Supporter
    Interesting concept. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum!

I, personally, would like to see manual safeties on pre-tensioned / SAO striker-fired pistols. If you could engineer something like that into rear plate... I'd be interested. I've heard the P10 guns are great shooters. But, I wouldn't carry one unless it had some kind of a safety. Same with a PPQ/PDP and a VP9.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    I was under the impression that the Glock type of SCD was not compatible with pretensioned striker fired pistols. This would open up more options for people who like pistols with more of a 1911 type grip angle and also like a manual thumb safety or SCD on their striker fired pistol. If possible, I would like to see someone possibly make one for the new Springfield Armory Eschelon pistol also.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post

I, personally, would like to see manual safeties on pre-tensioned / SAO striker-fired pistols. If you could engineer something like that into rear plate... I'd be interested. I've heard the P10 guns are great shooters. But, I wouldn't carry one unless it had some kind of a safety. Same with a PPQ/PDP and a VP9.

The P10C striker is only partially tensioned when the trigger is at rest. The trigger pull moves the trigger bar back and retracts the striker further before it releases off the sear surface of the trigger bar. I also remember that the firing pin block mechanism on this looks sufficient to stop the striker if falling from the partially cocked resting position but would frighten me if this was on a fully tensioned design.

Interested to hear about T&E, round counts, how many prototypes “in the wild” etc, etc.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    I think that you are correct, and that strikers that are pre-tensioned bring up issues. The CZ P-10 has a striker that isn't pre-tensioned, or is partially tensioned. I have another gun that is very popular that has a pre-tensioned striker, and I didn't think it would work with a SCD until I re-evaluated it the other day. It looks to me like I'll be able to make one, but I can't quite tell until I've actually given it a try! It isn't the echelon, although I may take a look at one of those someday.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post

The CZ P-10 is just like the Glock, and isn't fully tensioned. It may be partially tensioned, but the striker has to move back quite a bit. I can understand your desire for manual safeties, and even though I don't personally agree with them for concealed carry, I would consider making that sort of thing. For now though, I am looking at keeping it simple. The beauty of these Holstering Safeties is how mechanically simple they are. They're a really excellent product for me to cut my design teeth on. I know for certain if I designed manual safeties for the back of pistol slides they'd be much more complex than what I am currently dealing with, and I also have a feeling they'd hang off the back of the pistol like the Glock full auto switches.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Interested to hear about T&E, round counts, how many prototypes “in the wild” etc, etc.
    I spoke with Tom Jones a little while ago over the phone, and I have to be honest, I don't think I'll be able to hold a candle to what he did with the one for the Glock. The amount of testing, rounds, etc. I don't have the ability to do that.

I have five machined production quality parts that I am going to send out to thehumblemarksman, workthetrigger, and green_ops_yoshi/Joshua Shaw before the end of the month. I look forward to any feedback I hear from those guys.

The part that this replaces in the P-10 is plastic to begin with. The material I am using is 416 SS, and I can't really imagine it would be a point of failure given the stock one is plastic.

I will be shooting 500 rds on one once the parts are back from the coating facility. I will update you all as well as my social media following once I have done that.

User Tag List