Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm gonna make my own Stack-A-Toe, but better...with blackjack. And hookers.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    So on the accuracy front...

Some have misinterpreted my choice to put an Apex barrel in my guns to mean that you have to put an aftermarket barrel in the guns to make them shoot. That's not necessarily so. Every 2.0 I've shot will hold black at 25 yards easily with decent ammunition, and probably significantly better than that if you have the time to actually run the gun properly to test it. Usually I'm shooting a gun that isn't mine to briefly troubleshoot for a client so the time and opportunity to really see what it's capable of isn't there.

A retired LE buddy of mine swapped to an M&P compact recently and when we were out at the range I checked his zero on my target where I'd already checked and tweaked the zero on my compact:

Name:  IMG_6127 2.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  43.0 KB Name:  IMG_6128.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  62.0 KB

Those three rounds in the 6:00 of the 10 ring were the three I fired from his gun to validate zero. This was with Blazer aluminum 115 grain. Three rounds holding hands at 25 yards fired offhand with a stock barrel.

Afterwards we did a little more 25 yard shooting where he was easily holding black and he said "I've never shot anything like this at 25 in my life."

He'd been asking about whether or not he needed an Apex barrel in his gun. I'd say no.

My Apex barrels are really, really nice. They let me hold the X ring at 25 yards when I do my part on the trigger. If you're looking for maximum accuracy out of the M&P platform you most definitely want one. But don't think you need one to make an M&P shoot accurately. If you identify that the gun you end up with does need a barrel to improve accuracy, by all means go for it. Highly recommended.

But don't assume that it's a requirement.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by 757_Magnum View Post
    Sorry for your loss. I look at my own pup and my heart breaks as I see her greys multiply.

To keep it on subject, I just got a 2.0 Compact, but I'm having mine direct milled in my favored irons-forward configuration at Jagerwerks. I'm trying to decide between the Apex semi-drop in or the Rogue Gunworks/Mayhem Syndicate barrel and comp like I have on my G19.5s. Does anyone have experience with the latter on the M&Ps? It's annoying that if I go that route, it's going to complicate holster selection.
    I do not.

Googling, I can't tell if the barrel requires fitting to your slide and locking block. If it doesn't, there's no guarantee it's going to do much for you on accuracy. If you do have to fit the barrel to the breechface and the locking block, odds are it will boost accuracy.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I do not.

Googling, I can't tell if the barrel requires fitting to your slide and locking block. If it doesn't, there's no guarantee it's going to do much for you on accuracy. If you do have to fit the barrel to the breechface and the locking block, odds are it will boost accuracy.
    @TCinVA do you know of any issues running 17 round mags as spares in a compact? I also just ordered a dog tag plate for an eps carry I have, will update on the plate when I get my compact and the plate.

What back up irons are yall running on the full size or compacts? Dogtag plate states it puts the factory high irons at a lower 1/3 in the eps carry optic window. I'll see how much that bothers me, shouldn't be bad at all

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    @TCinVA do you know of any issues running 17 round mags as spares in a compact? I also just ordered a dog tag plate for an eps carry I have, will update on the plate when I get my compact and the plate.
    I run a 17 round spare when I carry the compact and I shoot the compact with the full sized magazines all the time. Doesn't seem to be an issue.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    @TCinVA do you know of any issues running 17 round mags as spares in a compact?
    I have done so with no problems, a few months ago I left my pistol in the safe by mistake and shot my Compact at three gun will all my 17rnd mags I brought for the gun I left at home.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mmc45414; 02-27-2024 at 05:47 PM.

After buying a pistol ($500), milling ($150) for an optic ($500) and installing a trigger kit ($100), like Norm would tell Bob Villa:
    It is a case of the Might-As-Wells.

Never mind that they might get sued for going over budget...

Quote Originally Posted by 757_Magnum View Post
    It's annoying that if I go that route, it's going to complicate holster selection.
    JMCK has lots of options for 5in M&Ps, looks like those comps are small?

Site Supporter
    So on the accuracy front...

Some have misinterpreted my choice to put an Apex barrel in my guns to mean that you have to put an aftermarket barrel in the guns to make them shoot. That's not necessarily so. Every 2.0 I've shot will hold black at 25 yards easily with decent ammunition, and probably significantly better than that if you have the time to actually run the gun properly to test it.
    My interpretation was that the factory barrels are typical of most quality striker-fired pistols, which is better than the majority of shooters, but adding an Apex barrel could take the potential of the platform to another level provided the shooter is up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    After buying a pistol ($500), milling ($150) for an optic ($500) and installing a trigger kit ($100), like Norm would tell Bob Villa:
    It is a case of the Might-As-Wells.

Never mind that they might get sued for going over budget...

These are pretty much my same thoughts on this. If I'm heavily invested in Glocks, but willing to wring out an M&P 2.0 to see if it works even better for me, I might as well go all in on this build.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    JMCK has lots of options for 5in M&Ps, looks like those comps are small?

Yes, they're nice and small and will bump a Glock up to just the next size (ex. G17 > G34). I'm a little guy with not much real estate. I'm currently carrying a G19 with that comp setup in a JMCK G17 holster, and it's about at the limit of comfort for me. A 5 inch AIWB holster might just be too big, and I'd have to get an adapter for a Safariland ALS holster. Maybe I'm just too spoiled with Glock's sizing system.

What safariland als works with this set up? With rds and wml of course.

X300? Tlr7?

User Tag List