Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm gonna make my own Stack-A-Toe, but better...with blackjack. And hookers.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Racoon View Post
    Do the current Apex drop in barrels fix the accuracy issue of the 1.0? If I could fix the accuracy issue for a $140 barrel, this might make a fun project.
    Well, they don't drop in...and that's why they fix the issue.

Apex identified why the M&P had accuracy issues. Essentially it happens because the barrel becomes unsupported when the slide starts to move. The slide itself actually stretches in response to the pressure buildup inside the gun when a shot is fired and the slide begins moving before the bullet has left the gun. With an improperly fitted barrel it starts to slop around in there, giving unpredictable results. You can check for this by moving the slide just a tiny amount and press up and down on the muzzle end of the barrel and see if it moves. I have a 1.0 that was so bad just applying rearward pressure without moving the slide was enough to make the barrel flop around.

The Apex barrel has more material on the barrel hood, at the muzzle end, and on the fitting pad where the barrel fits into the locking block to allow you to fit those surfaces to the slide and locking block so that the slide and barrel stay in the same relationship to one another until the slide has moved far enough to the rear so that the camming surfaces on the barrel and locking block deliberately move the barrel out of alignment with the slide.

Fitting the muzzle end on a 1.0 can be a bit of a pain, but I did it. It isn't pretty, but it shoots much, much better now. I was holding the black of a B8 with it pretty easily while I was doing a private session with a client.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Agreed.

“…minimal take up. If you are on the trigger, assume you are on the sear .”

That does ​scream 1911 trigger.
    On some specimens I've handled the forward set trigger is downright scary to me...but I've been shooting H&K LEM and Glock triggers for a long time so that's where my brain is settled.

It won't be a good 1911 trigger. But it will be about as close as you can get with a polymer gun that uses a swinging trigger.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    To expand, is it reasonable to expect a well tuned 1.0 to be as accurate as a well tuned 2.0?
    The barrel I fitted into the 2.0 in the original post will work in a 1.0 slide as well. Fitted the way Apex recommends I've seen multiple specimens of 1.0 shoot sub 1" at 25. My buddy ARay's competition gun shoots .8" at 25 with his Apex barrel in it.
    3/15/2016

Is the bbl a pain to fit or can any non mechanical moron (like me) easily fit one?

For the trigger parts that need the rear sight removed (core or not) is a sight pusher necessary or do they tap out ?

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Is the bbl a pain to fit or can any non mechanical moron (like me) easily fit one?

For the trigger parts that need the rear sight removed (core or not) is a sight pusher necessary or do they tap out ?
    On a C.O.R.E. or OR model, the rear sight is not removed, you remove the plastic cover as it comes from the factory or your red dot/optic plate and you then have a small hex head screw to loosen (0.05" IRC) to move the metal plate that covers the striker block and spring assembly. Way easier than a "normal" M&P.
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

So what I described is for the non core models? I have one of each at home.

So what I described is for the non core models? I have one of each at home.
    With the non C.O.R.E. / OR models the firing block is under the rear sight in the dovetail and the rear sight needs to be removed (dumb). On the C.O.R.E. / OR models the Rear Sight dovetail is shoved further back and does not occupy the same real estate as the block hence all the warnings in the manual not to fire pistol without cover or optic on the pistol as the metal cover over the block is of minimal thickness...
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

What about the Apex Barrel fitting?

Site Supporter
    From what they show on the video, (they only have a video for the semi-drop ins) it looks very doable with the file and jig they offer. I’m seriously thinking a barrel will help me more than a trigger.

I’ve done 5 (1.0)Semi Drop In barrels. You just need a quality file and patience.

User Tag List