Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend A Printer/Scanner

Recommend A Printer/Scanner

Wireless of course. Mostly for documents and home projects.
    Trouble free, ease of use.
    Seems the majority I've researched just don't have good reviews.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Price range? Sizing?

Regardless, I recommend laser over inkjet. And don't get your hopes up over the "wireless" part--it's a notoriously unreliable feature.

HP inkjet printers have worked great for me.

I made the mistake of trying an Epson printer for home and got one for My son’s Scout Troop. Both died way too soon with the same problem. The print heads plug up if they are not used frequently and regularly. Apparently Epson printers are know for this problem. Never again.

We bought HP printers for a couple of decades. For the last one they finally got the DRM locked down tight enough we couldn't find 3d party ink cartridges that worked. The OEM ones were $70 or so. Aaaaand ... it would stop printing every 3 months or so reporting that, say, the Cyan ink was out ... even though we had printed exactly zero color pages. We junked the brand new printer after a few months; I'm not going to pay a couple hundred dollars a year for our limited printing.

The replacement was an Epson 'Ecotank' one (a 2760 for us). You buy bottles of ink that last forever. We've had it a couple of years and we haven't emptied the bottles that came with it. So my advice is to look at whichever 'Ecotank' model has the features you want; a quick look shows some for under $300.

(Re: clogging nozzles - when we got it, out of habit, I continued my previous practice of never printing in color, because of the previous cost of cartridges. I went a year plus without ever printing in color. When I finally did, sure enough, the color nozzles were clogged. I had to run the built in clean cycle to get them working. My solution is to just stop worrying about always switching to black & white only for, say, a google map page or random recipe web page. No more clog problems.)

I have had exceptional luck with home grade Brother laser printers for over ten years, both monochrome and color. They are cheap to feed relative to an ink jet, too. If I needed an all in one I’d be starting there.

My newest one was bought only because it offered native AirPrint instead of just plain wireless. The oldest one soldiers on as a work printer.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I would agree on the Brother laser printers. They have an inkjet competitor to the Epson, which they have screwed up wireless printing so bad they are next to impossible to get on a network. The reason I tend to stay with Brother, is operating systems they support (Windows, Linux, Mac). I may try to leave a Raspberry PI on the inkjet (work needs color on occasion) to fix the wireless.

I don't know ANY that are good at wireless scanning though.

Site Supporter
    After trying another cheaper brand in my office, I now use HP exclusively. They last far longer than other brands I have tried. Both of mine in my office are color laser multi function machines.

Toner cartridges are expensive but last a very long time if you buy the larger capacity ones. Do not buy a pack with all 4 cartridges, because only the black will be extra capacity, not the colors. I always keep a set of extra cartridges available so that I can disregard the low toner warnings. The cartridges will last at least a few more months after the warnings start. The software will identify which cartridge is low, so only that one needs to be replaced.

Both of mine are wireless, and the wireless connection works fine. My wife and I can both print from either printer despite being on opposite ends of a long office.

The last one I purchased is at least 4-5 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Got rid of our Canon inkjet when we moved to NV, and picked up a Brother MFC-L3710CW all-in-one wireless laser

We love this thing. Super easy to connect to, Prints the first time every single time, real fast to print the first page.

The Canon had been driving my wife nuts, it was flaky getting a connection to it from her special snowflake laptop, and since we don’t print all that often it felt like every other time we would get a “low ink” message for one of the cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I have had exceptional luck with home grade Brother laser printers for over ten years, both monochrome and color. They are cheap to feed relative to an ink jet, too. If I needed an all in one I’d be starting there.

My newest one was bought only because it offered native AirPrint instead of just plain wireless. The oldest one soldiers on as a work printer.
    I'll second this. Mine is an older (2012ish) all-in-one-color laser unit that I got for free off some guy on facebook marketplace, but it works fantastic. It's jammed exactly once since I've had it, and it worked with the off-brand cheap Chinese toner I got on amazon (~$40 for a complete toner set with black and all color cartridges). Worth way more than what I paid for it.

I'll also say that HP's have proven reliable at my work. I print pretty large volumes (ie. 50-60 pages a day), and I have had very few issues with my work printer.

Brother business MFC 8810 laser has been running flawlessly for 6-7 years. Wife runs an Apple laptop and I run a Windows laptop. Bluetooth works from any room in the house including the basement. Cartridges run about $75 which is expensive but last us about a year. It's just B&W but it's all we need. I think I bought it at Costco.

This looks like the latest version.

https://www.staples.com/Brother-MFC-...RoCQkMQAvD_BwE

My wife has a nice desktop HP inkjet color printer but she hasn't used it in years. It's in a closet somewhere gathering dust. I guess she didn't really need a color printer.
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-04-2022 at 05:03 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List