Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock Hydraulic Guide Rod SHOT 2024

Glock Hydraulic Guide Rod SHOT 2024

For the Glock owner who has everything. A new guide rod! Price is *only* $185. Sign me up!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I'll wait for the hydraulic + magnetic combo, with electronic dampening adjustment.

Coming from the auto repair world I can see how this could help. I compare it to shock absorbers. A spring doesn't care if you compress it quickly or slowly, it provides the same resistance. But a shock is different. Forget gas pressure and fancy valving for the moment, a shock is stiffer the faster it is compressed. I can see this tuned so resistance to rearward slide movement is provided by the combination of the spring and the hydraulics. So the spring can be weaker than normal. But slide forward movement is only pushed by the spring so it is slower than it would normally be because this spring is not as strong. So forward slide movement pushes the gun down less. Seems like a good plan to me. JCN?

I've used two conceptually similar recoil reduction guide rods-the Hart's one, from the 1990s which used liquid mercury in a hollow chamber the length of the guide rod, and a current offering from BH Spring Solutions, which the shock absorber approach, with a spring suspended inner guide rod segment.

While gunwriter Gary Johnson repeatedly touted a 40% reduction in recoil force, I never noticed much of any reduction with it one the one I tried. Conversely, the BH Spring Solutions Recoil Buffering Guide Rod assembly does appear to work; I've been running one for several years in my .40 Mk III High Power, but it's also expensive, costing around $100.

https://bhspringsolutions.com/index....-rod-assembly/

I wouldn't be automatically dismissive of the hydraulic guide rod concept, but the price is certainly high, and I'm uncertain of the juice being worth the squeeze, particularly in a relatively soft recoiling cartridge like 9mm. It might be more advantageous for a .40 or 10mm chambered gun.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    I'll wait for the hydraulic + magnetic combo, with electronic dampening adjustment.
    Oh yeah. With the slide on the frame on mag-lev rails.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I'm uncertain of the juice being worth the squeeze, particularly in a relatively soft recoiling cartridge like 9mm.
    There are enough people who struggle with stiffly sprung guns that S&W released the Shield EZ. Likewise, enough struggled with the 9mm version they released it in .380.

I'm interested to see if it pans out.

I might have missed it but did they mention what generation it’s for.
    My G19 is Gen 3 so fingers crossed 🤞
    I’ve been running a big Comp but want to trim the gun down a bit. Switching to a Micro Comp and maybe one of these would keep the gun more svelt.

IMO, the two most critical factors to watch for are any reduction in:

• Length of guide rod travel (failure to feed, failure to slide lock, extraction/ejection issues)
    • Slide speed towards the end of travel (weak extraction/ejection)

A different mechanism from a different manufacturer of course but, in my experience with multiple Sprinco units (USP-style multi-spring mechanism) across Glocks and SIGs, length of travel seemed to be impeded at least a little bit which resulted in reliability issues.
    This resulted in numerous failures to feed, failure to slide lock, and at least a few failures to extract or eject across both Gen2-3 Glocks (G17/19) and SIGs. This included multiple P220's in .45 and 9mm, P6's, and I think also an SP2009 but it's been a decade and memory is fuzzy.
    Unfortunately I never experienced a real perceptible reduction in felt recoil with those Sprinco units. On the P220 in .45, maybe a 10% improvement but, negligible at best and certainly not worth the reliability issues. I'd be concerned whether this new hydraulic unit might manifest similar issues for similar reasons but, happy to give the benefit of the doubt.

As far as extraction and ejection, this may be less of a worry on Gen5's with the breech face cut since those are pretty robust in those two areas of operation. On Gen1-4 (if they'll even be made for these), probably a much more serious concern since those are so weak in these two areas.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Send me one to dissect. I want to see if there is really hydraulic fluid inside and what there is to return the piston.

I had one of those buffer spring devices and it changed the feel of the gun. I had to take it out, the stiff buffer spring rammed the slide against the stop so hard as to make an IDPA slide lock reload very difficult.

I also had one of those mercury filled rods but couldn't detect a difference. Just occurred to me that I may still have it. Now I have to take four guns with FLGRs apart and see if one sloshes.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    There are enough people who struggle with stiffly sprung guns that S&W released the Shield EZ. Likewise, enough struggled with the 9mm version they released it in .380.

I'm interested to see if it pans out.
    The 380 came first.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

User Tag List