Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Langdon Tactical Goes HK

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    It's a non-issue IMO. I didn't notice any significant increase in trigger reach. Also, the initial take up is so light that it's not like pulling a full weight DA/DAO trigger from that distance.

As far as getting used to paddle releases, I would say it's also not a big deal for a lot of people. Put in a few dozen reps in an afternoon, and honestly I think most people can get used to it just fine. To some degree, it might be a bit dependent on hand/finger size. For me, I find that sweeping my trigger finger down and hitting the paddle is the fastest and easiest by far. That may or may not work for someone with really long fingers.
    I am not a fan of using the trigger finger to do anything but be in register against the slide while reloading. Probably less if an issue with LEM than DA/SA or the VP9.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am not a fan of using the trigger finger to do anything but be in register against the slide while reloading. Probably less if an issue with LEM than DA/SA or the VP9.
    Good point, and I definitely understand that from a consistency, safety, and robustness standpoint. I know many might use their middle finger instead for the paddle for those reasons. For me it works well. I'm OCD about safety and have never had a problem transitioning between paddle vs. button platforms. That said, I'm probably an oddball.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Good point, and I definitely understand that from a consistency, safety, and robustness standpoint. I know many might use their middle finger instead for the paddle for those reasons. For me it works well. I'm OCD about safety and have never had a problem transitioning between paddle vs. button platforms. That said, I'm probably an oddball.
    I'm in the same camp. I can use my trigger finger to drop the mag with a minor shift in my grip. If I try to use the thumb of my support hand, the middle finger of my right hand prevents the mag release from moving down.. Smacking the base of the new mag usually sends the slide forward. It all feels very natural to me, but I've been shooting a USPC since 1996. Thread drift: I have an issue occasionally dropping the mag from my MR918 but that's a non issue with the paddle. Interestingly, I have never inadvertently hit the mag release on either of my MR920s, although all 3 of them are set up identically

Site Supporter
    In my limited experience with the p30, the paddle mag release wasn’t all that different than a button.

Despite past issues with gripping the p30, it remains probably the most comfortable 17 round gun I’ve carried and with a red dot is a super easy gun to shoot accurately. I’m also a better shooter than the last time I had one, so hopefully that’s made up for some of the issues I had with the grip. It’s interesting that Ernest, who has famously large hands, picks the small side panels. The more I think about it the more that could solve the issue of not having enough material to grip right below the beaver tail. My thought is that it puts your hand closer to that area of the grip and thus more of your support hand would be in contact with it. Haven’t messed with a P30 in two years though, so I can’t say.

So the only hk I've ever shot is a USP DA/SA, but I'm pretty experienced with Berettas, which would be better, the P30 DA/SA or the LEM?

I'm leaning towards LEM but which trigger and weight?

Good callout. I can certainly agree that it is not ideal. In my case, having short thumbs, it is much more efficient than anything else I have found so far on a pistol with a full-sized grip. I don't train at all with a paddle release anymore, but when I did, I never had an instance of even brushing the trigger with my trigger finger while reloading. I felt like I was able to maintain a very reasonable standard of safety and work around physical limitations. That was with both P30L V1 and VP9.

It does seem like it would be easier to unintentionally loose a round in SA mode on a V3, but I have never owned one.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Good callout. I can certainly agree that it is not ideal. In my case, having short thumbs, it is much more efficient than anything else I have found so far on a pistol with a full-sized grip. I don't train at all with a paddle release anymore, but when I did, I never had an instance of even brushing the trigger with my trigger finger while reloading. I felt like I was able to maintain a very reasonable standard of safety and work around physical limitations. That was with both P30L V1 and VP9.

It does seem like it would be easier to unintentionally loose a round in SA mode on a V3, but I have never owned one.
    A friend of mine, on the HK team and an excellent shooter, dq'd in a match with a VP9 when he hit the trigger moving quickly with his trigger finger to the paddle.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

A friend of mine, on the HK team and an excellent shooter, dq'd in a match with a VP9 when he hit the trigger moving quickly with his trigger finger to the paddle.
    I also recall John Farnham banning the practice in his classes. Bad things could certainly happen if you trigger a firearm when you are not supposed to. Now I have guns where I can reach the controls, so it is a non-issue for me, but when I did do it I was able to stay out of trouble easily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post

I do think it’s very hand/finger size dependent. Much more so than a button release. To hit an Hk paddle with my thumb I’d be more likely to get DQ’d for breaking the 180 rotating the pistol awkwardly than I am to cook off a round hitting it with my trigger finger. However I can totally see how different finger/hand geometry could flip that scenario easily.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I carried a P2000SK w/ Light LEM trigger for a while, and shot it in one of Ernest's classes. With my smallish hands and short fingers, releasing the lever with my thumb to drop the magazine was near impossible w/o considerable contortions. I never had a problem using my trigger finger on the lever (I had switched out the standard small lever for the larger one), but I can see how an "accident" could happen.

Of course, there's probably been a ND where some one with similarly small hands and short digits kept his finger on the trigger while extending his thumb toward the mag release button.

User Tag List