Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a place in Dallas, TX for a former student...

Looking for a place in Dallas, TX for a former student...

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I figured it has the most number of people that may know where to go. My student is moving to TX from NJ and I'm trying to find them a place to continue studying. I don't care about the style, I care about the quality, so if you have any personal experiences or have colleagues, can you kindly drop me a line here. FYI he's 8 years old.

TIA
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I figured it has the most number of people that may know where to go. My student is moving to TX from NJ and I'm trying to find them a place to continue studying. I don't care about the style, I care about the quality, so if you have any personal experiences or have colleagues, can you kindly drop me a line here. FYI he's 8 years old.

TIA
    @Jackdog

Is he moving to "Dallas," or somewhere in DFW? If the latter, can you be more specific?
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Is he moving to "Dallas," or somewhere in DFW? If the latter, can you be more specific?
    Good point - the DFW metroplex is nearly the size of Connecticut.

I asked for clarification precisely due to this issue. I'll come back with more info soon. This is there first week there.
    TIA

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    My sisters live in the DFW area and were asking similar questions.

If it's BJJ in the Dallas area, I'd look at Marcelo Garcia's school down there, or the Machados.

If you're in the Fort Worth area a lot of people like Sloth BJJ. I think there's a few Machado black belts in Fort Worth as well

If you're looking for more of an MMA school, I'd look at Travis Lutter's.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Thanks for your patience guys. They just got settled and got back to me. It's Mckinney.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Thanks for your patience guys. They just got settled and got back to me. It's Mckinney.
    It looks like there's a Gracie Barra on the west side of McKinney, but I don't know anything about the campus. The pics and schedule indicate a busy jrs program.

@Jackdog
    David S.

Site Supporter
    It looks like there's also a Machado school there...and a Checkmat affiliate.

Those are both gyms with highly regarded reputations.

The Machados are basically the guys who taught Chuck Norris jiu jitsu. They've been around a LONG time. And checkmat tends to have dudes on the podium of whatever major competitions there are if I recall correctly.

That said it looks like there's a few Muay Thai schools around there too if your student is not a fan of grappling

It looks like there's a Gracie Barra on the west side of McKinney, but I don't know anything about the campus. The pics and schedule indicate a busy jrs program.

@Jackdog
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    It looks like there's also a Machado school there...and a Checkmat affiliate.

Those are both gyms with highly regarded reputations.

The Machados are basically the guys who taught Chuck Norris jiu jitsu. They've been around a LONG time. And checkmat tends to have dudes on the podium of whatever major competitions there are if I recall correctly.

That said it looks like there's a few Muay Thai schools around there too if your student is not a fan of grappling

Thanks guys. Ideally I'd like the student to continue at a school that has a component consistent with SD a la Craig, Cecil, Paul, etc.

User Tag List