Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Modern Gunslinger Belt": a Homebrew Gunbelt for OWB Carry While Hiking

Today I learned you can buy Biothane from Strapworks - thanks OP for inspiring some DIY!
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Before discussing hiking rigs, I would like to see a Glock model 45 sized 10mm pistol, with a factory MOS cut, forward serrations, the breach face cut, and a Mayhem Syndicate sized compensator. I think the comp would help with running heavy field loads. I also would like the option of a Safariland RDS style holster with a protective hood.

Based on years of trial and error, if you don't have a waist strap, or just a light waist strap, it almost doesn't matter what you use. I frequently use AIWB as it is size and weight efficient, and protects the pistol from dirt, brush and weather. The hard part is using a heavy pack with a large waist strap. Even something that is dropped doesn't play well with a big, cinched load bearing waist strap. Perhaps the least bad option is a chest holster like the Kenai, although if you sleep wearing your pistol like I do in the tent around bears, I hope you sleep on your side or back.

When hunting or backpacking, every pound does matter, especially if you will be packing out heavy meat loads. The first time we hunted sheep in the Brooks Range, I had a 50 plus pound pack without rifle, binocs and pistol, and it was brutal on the mountain. Every step hurt in that environment that was completely off trail. The next year, my pack was 29 pounds and the climbing was a delight.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The “Modern Gunslinger Belt” worked very well on an (unsuccessful but fun) elk hunt. Here’s @Cdub_NW sporting his MGB:

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Recently escaped the People's Republic of Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The “Modern Gunslinger Belt” worked very well on an (unsuccessful but fun) elk hunt. Here’s @Cdub_NW sporting his MGB:

Pictured with the Low rise Safariland mount, will be swapping out to the mid rise as this sat slightly lower than I prefer. Otherwise the system worked as intended under my Exo 4800 pack and allowed the pistol to remain on my 1st line gear. I dropped the pack on a few occasions to get up a few ridgelines without any sort of entanglement with the holster system.

Any images of the rig with a pack?

Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    Any images of the rig with a pack?

Modern Gunslinger Belt: a Homebrew Gunbelt for OWB Carry While Hiking

Final version, with Safariland UBL Mid-Ride / QLS and T-Rex thigh strap.

My goal for this project is a way to carry my Glock 20 or P-07 OWB while I’m hiking in bear and cougar country with a pack that has a waist belt. I’ve tried two approaches, with only partial success. Surprisingly, AIWB with a JMCK WC2.5 and Mastermind ACP pillow-wedge are comfortable for an all-day adventure. But, obviously there’s a trade-off with sweat and flexibility at the waist. As well, AIWB is not optimal when wearing raingear. The 2nd and more promising rig is a Safariland Pro-Fit GLS holster on a 6070UBL Mid-Ride QLS drop mount. I have GLS’s for the G20 and P-07, and they work way better than a $50 holster has a right to: gamer-fast draws and solid L1 retention. They also fit guns with RDS. However, when the UBL is attached to my pants belt it pulls my pants down. And raingear presents a problem as well. @GJM, @JCL, @Cdub_NW

I wanted a 2” thin, flexible yet stiff-enough belt that I can wear OVER all of my clothes, and UNDER the pack belt. After looking at a bunch of low-profile battle and duty belts, I decided to try to make one instead. The results are very promising. Images follow in the next post.

(See parts list below from Strapworks.com)
    Instructions:
    1. Cut Biothane to the desired length, about 4-6” less than minimum waist circumference. Do not make Biothane too long! There is no way to trim it after inserting it in the webbing.
    2. Use a hole punch to make a hole at one end of the Biothane. Trim corners 1/4" to make it not catch on webbing.
    3. Drop Paracord (total length >16’) through the 2” tubular nylon strap
    4. Loop the paracord through the hole in the Biothane and tie off with a bowline knot at least 2’ up the cord.
    5. Tie the other end of the paracord to a solid object (e.g. gunsafe handle)
    6. Grab tubular nylon and pull Biothane inside it, until it’s about 4” from the end and the knot is visible. This step will take some massaging, but I had no problem with it.
    7. Untie paracord and pull out
    8. Measure final length of belt, including strap needed to secure the female side of the buckle, and to adjust the free end on the male side as needed (at least 12” on that side).
    9. Cut and press ends, preferably using a hot knife. I used a torch and a razor blade clamped in Vice Grips.
    10. Thread buckles on, female fixed on gun side, male with free end for adjustment.

5’ x 2 Inch Tubular Nylon Black with Blue Tracer. Note: polyester webbing does not work.
    WSR-NYL-TUB-002-BLB

2 Inch Plastic 3-Bar Slide
    PLH-SLD-002-BLK

3’ x 2 Inch Biothane Granite High Flex Black Opaque (longer if you're a 'big boy')
    WSR-BIO-GRT-002-FLX-BLK

No-Sew 2" Cobra Buckle (allows belt to be used as a [use-at-your-own-risk] belay/safety belt)
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKPPGNV/

--OR--
    2 Inch Plastic Side Release Buckle Single Adjust
    PLH-SRB-002-SAD-DST

Total ~ $30 ($65 with Cobra buckle)

Recently escaped the People's Republic of Portland
    Zero movement restriction with the pack loaded and rifle in scabbard same side as pistol. The Rifle sat about 4" below the base of the back in the sling and it had plenty of clearance and allowed for a clear draw from all positions.

As I said before however, I think the Mid-ride is the way to go, the low ride setup put it slightly too low on the hip/upper leg and contact the chair when I sat down. Mid-ride would have been perfect.

User Tag List