Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Modern Gunslinger Belt": a Homebrew Gunbelt for OWB Carry While Hiking

"Modern Gunslinger Belt": a Homebrew Gunbelt for OWB Carry While Hiking

My goal for this project is a way to carry my Glock 20 or P-07 OWB while I’m hiking in bear and cougar country with a pack that has a waist belt. I’ve tried two approaches, with only partial success. Surprisingly, AIWB with a JMCK WC2.5 and Mastermind ACP pillow-wedge are comfortable for an all-day adventure. But, obviously there’s a trade-off with sweat and flexibility at the waist. As well, AIWB is not optimal when wearing raingear. The 2nd and more promising rig is a Safariland Pro-Fit GLS holster on a 6070UBL Mid-Ride QLS drop mount. I have GLS’s for the G20 and P-07, and they work way better than a $50 holster has a right to: gamer-fast draws and solid L1 retention. They also fit guns with RDS. However, when the UBL is attached to my pants belt it pulls my pants down. And raingear presents a problem as well. @GJM, @JCL, @Cdub_NW

I wanted a 2” thin, flexible yet stiff-enough belt that I can wear OVER all of my clothes, and UNDER the pack belt. After looking at a bunch of low-profile battle and duty belts, I decided to try to make one instead. The results are very promising. Images follow in the next post.

(See parts list below from Strapworks.com)
    Instructions:
    1. Cut Biothane to the desired length, about 4-6” less than minimum waist circumference. Do not make Biothane too long! There is no way to trim it after inserting it in the webbing.
    2. Use a hole punch to make a hole at one end of the Biothane. Trim corners 1/4" to make it not catch on webbing.
    3. Drop Paracord (total length >16’) through the 2” tubular nylon strap
    4. Loop the paracord through the hole in the Biothane and tie off with a bowline knot at least 2’ up the cord.
    5. Tie the other end of the paracord to a solid object (e.g. gunsafe handle)
    6. Grab tubular nylon and pull Biothane inside it, until it’s about 4” from the end and the knot is visible. This step will take some massaging, but I had no problem with it.
    7. Untie paracord and pull out
    8. Measure final length of belt, including strap needed to secure the female side of the buckle, and to adjust the free end on the male side as needed (at least 12” on that side).
    9. Cut and press ends, preferably using a hot knife. I used a torch and a razor blade clamped in Vice Grips.
    10. Thread buckles on, female fixed on gun side, male with free end for adjustment.

5’ x 2 Inch Tubular Nylon Black with Blue Tracer. Note: polyester webbing does not work.
    WSR-NYL-TUB-002-BLB

2 Inch Plastic 3-Bar Slide
    PLH-SLD-002-BLK

3’ x 2 Inch Biothane Granite High Flex Black Opaque (longer if you're a 'big boy')
    WSR-BIO-GRT-002-FLX-BLK

No-Sew 2" Cobra Buckle (allows belt to be used as a [use-at-your-own-risk] belay/safety belt)
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKPPGNV/

--OR--
    2 Inch Plastic Side Release Buckle Single Adjust
    PLH-SRB-002-SAD-DST

Total ~ $30 ($65 with Cobra buckle)
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-29-2022 at 07:34 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Biothane inside 2" nylon webbing is flexible but stiff enough to support the UBL.

Wearing it like a "gunslinger"--high on the left, low on the gun side--keeps the gun supported without pulling pants down, and out of the way of the pack belt.

Pulling hard on gun. Rig is solid, and draws gamer-fast.

Site Supporter
    In broad strokes, I like it. As your pack weight goes up and you are looking for the pack hip belt to spread weight out over the hips, the gun gear may need to ride lower. It you pack is light enough, no harm, no foul.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

2 inch Dual Adjustable No-Sew Cobra Buckle inbound. Now the belt can serve dual-purpose for belay/safety.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKPPGNV/

@Clusterfrack

Looks good and I like your siracha shirt.

As long as it doesn't cause a hot spot on your leg, you're good to go.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    As long as it doesn't cause a hot spot on your leg, you're good to go.
    I was ok using it on two all-day hikes in extremely rugged terrain last week on Kodiak. But, I'm thinking about adding Neoprene backing to the UBL.

Sriracha shirt...check.

Gunsafe in bedroom....check.

IDPA dryfire targets hanging above bed....check.

Minimalist bed frame that was purchased just to say the bed isn't actually on the floor, because ammo costs money and dry firing costs time and a real bed frame interferes with both....check.

Fuck me running. I don't want to get into a gunfight with you.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Sriracha shirt...check.

Gunsafe in bedroom....check.

IDPA dryfire targets hanging above bed....check.

Minimalist bed frame that was purchased just to say the bed isn't actually on the floor, because ammo costs money and dry firing costs time and a real bed frame interferes with both....check.

Fuck me running. I don't want to get into a gunfight with you.
    LOL! Likewise.

(FYI that is the guest room I’ve taken over for gun stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    LOL! Likewise.

(FYI that is the guest room I’ve taken over for gun stuff)
    Guests? You don't run a B&B. Tell them to hit Vrbo or Hilton. You need your space.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List