Thread: Terminology change for "victim" in justified shootings

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Terminology change for "victim" in justified shootings

I noticed our reporting software (Motorola sourced) now lists "Victim/Person receiving Justified Action" instead of just "Victim" for individuals who are the "receiving team" of a fatal shooting/stabbing/etc. I am assuming the same is true for non-fatals, but haven't checked yet. I know there's been heartburn before over labeling a felon killed during the commission of a crime as a "victim" and get why, but thought it was interesting the verbiage has finally changed. Oddly, "suspect" is still "suspect" and not "person delivering Justifie Action" as far as I can tell.

Is this widespread or is this just us?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

It should be "recipient of smiting".
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I noticed our reporting software (Motorola sourced) now lists "Victim/Person receiving Justified Action" instead of just "Victim" for individuals who are the "receiving team" of a fatal shooting/stabbing/etc. I am assuming the same is true for non-fatals, but haven't checked yet.
    Is this for initial reporting or something final going to NIBRS?
    If initial it seems premature without an “alleged” before the “justification for smiting” entry.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    If initial it seems premature without an “alleged” before the “justification for smiting” entry.
    We don't have any control over NIBRS, and this is in our case management and reporting software so I assume it's just on our end. There's nothing to pick now, it's not "victim" OR "recipient of justified action", there's only "victim/recipient of justified action." A different block determines if it's justified or not, software wise.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Could be for the Use of Force data collection. That is done outside of NIBRS. https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/ucr/use-of-force

What about a recipient of unjustified action? Recipient of justified inaction? Inactive recipient of justification? Can you keep a straight face while proposing these in a meeting?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Our RMS (CODY) uses the terms “subject” and “actor” or “Law enforcement officer” for those purposes. We can add user defined terms as we see fit.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

User Tag List