Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turn-key SBS options

Turn-key SBS options

I’ve always wanted a short barreled shotgun, but until just a few years ago lived in a state where they were not allowed. Now I can have one if I pay the tax. Yes, I know you don’t save a lot of length compared to an 18” tube, but it’s a want thing. After growing up with 870s I came to much prefer the Mossberg safety position.

I’m looking at a 51689 590A1, I would swap out the furniture for Magpul and add a white light - that’s it.

My other option is to rebuild my 590A1 with the short tube and magazine. Per an email, Mossberg doesn’t sell the parts so I’d be on the secondary market.

Ideas?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have a 590A1 receiver that is in the same boat. Mossberg has not made/sold the kit for converting a 18.5" or 20" 590A1 into an SBS for some time.

I have been watching the secondary market for about a year with no luck. Gunbroker, eBay, etc.

If I spot something, I will let you know. But honestly, I think your best bet is to buy the SBS on an in-state Form 4 and then sell the longer gun to recover the cost.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I wouldn't be afraid to have one cut down by Cotton Branch Customs. They do excellent work.
    3/15/2016

How about getting a Shockwave then just changing the stock once you get the stamp?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    How about getting a Shockwave then just changing the stock once you get the stamp?
    I do have one and that’s an option, but I’d have to get the ghost rings added - I’m a fan of the ones on my 590A1.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I wouldn't be afraid to have one cut down by Cotton Branch Customs. They do excellent work.
    I visited his shop several months back to discuss some projects. He is doing some great work there. VERY neat stuff!

I've converted a Remington Tac-14 to an SBS.

In the longer-run, I would have been just as happy with buying a 590A1 already set-up, which is what I used to be issued for work.

https://www.mossberg.com/590a1-class...hot-51689.html

I still may buy the Mossberg SBS someday.

Thanks for the info in this thread, btw. I didn't know Mossberg was so tight regarding its parts.

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    I've converted a Remington Tac-14 to an SBS.

In the longer-run, I would have been just as happy with buying a 590A1 already set-up, which is what I used to be issued for work.

https://www.mossberg.com/590a1-class...hot-51689.html

I still may buy the Mossberg SBS someday.

Thanks for the info in this thread, btw. I didn't know Mossberg was so tight regarding its parts.
    That’s the one I’m considering - I’d almost certainly swap out the furniture for Magpul.
    Ken

I have a 14 inch Benelli pump that I bought as a SBS. Has ghost ring sights, is pretty inexpensive, and might be something to consider.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have a 14 inch Benelli pump that I bought as a SBS. Has ghost ring sights, is pretty inexpensive, and might be something to consider.
    Nova or supernova?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List