Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimber k6s —who’s got a high round count example?

Kimber k6s —who’s got a high round count example?

Hi Folks,

I am interested in the Kimber K6s 2 or 3 inch model. I have searched the ‘net looking for anyone who has put a lot of round through one and have not come up with much.
    I know they’ve only been around since 2016 and are lighter, so tend to be more of a CCW piece than a range gun.
    Does anyone here have an example of any model K6S they’ve put some decent rounds through? I am meaning 3 to 5 thousand or more rounds?
    If so, what has been your experience?

Thanks in advance!
    Tar

I don’t think we have anyone here that’s put that many rounds through one but @Totem Polar and @Zeke38 have some time on them.

I’ve got a 4” K6S Target with maybe 200 rounds through it plus another 200-300 dry fires and while it hasn’t given me any problems, it hasn’t really wowed me either. Mainly a “meh” feeling trigger and the grips are too small for a field or target revolver.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I only have around 250 rounds though my 3”, about half and half magnums and LRN. Not a gun that I think you will see often with a high round count.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I always ask the guys at rental ranges how handguns hold up. The 2-3 that I've talked about the K6 say that it holds up well with 38 Special ammo, and that almost nobody shoots 357 ammo through them.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, Folks. I really like the K6S for the extra round for its size. Makes sense there are not a lot of them with high round counts.
    Tar

Late to the party, but, I didn’t get very far into the ammo stash before sacrificing the K6 at the altar of the 1911, or something. But I *think* that I got to just over 750–including a box of 110 WWB .357, and 5-6 cylinders each of rare 125 GS and 135 GDHP medium range .357, and nothing fell apart. I also did a cylinder of old-school full power 125gr SJHP—either Federal or Remington, I can’t remember which went into the K6 and which went into the King Cobra. Either way, a cylinder of full power 125 is all that I’d want to do out of either gun. One and done on that.

I think they’re good revolvers—probably better than a lot of S&W current production. FWIW.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

The K6 2 DAO has been fed 200 rds of mid range Magnums and they are a handful. No problems with the action or the sights, very accurate revolver. But to be honest close to 2,000 rds of 38+p and 38/44 loads that have been a steady diet. The K6 is a 6 round J frame sized gun, discipline is needed to shoot it well. Kimber provided the weapon, ready to go, it's up to the shooter to master it. Not as hard to shoot as a Full House Magnum, but does require concentration and discipline. Love the action and Hogue has solved the grip problem. I'm happy with the 38/44 loads (1,000fps 125 gr w-w primer)

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    ...Either way, a cylinder of full power 125 is all that I’d want to do out of either gun. One and done on that.

I think they’re good revolvers—probably better than a lot of S&W current production. FWIW.
    Sorry for this probably obvious question: Is that because it's uncomfortable or because of wear/damage to the gun?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    I’m the same story as a lot of other posters, only have 200 rounds through my 3” DAO; with zero 357 rounds. I’m waiting for an aiwb holster to be delivered, if I like that my round count might start going up quickly due to practice since I would be actually carrying it (when I’m only out in the desert/hills and not in town).

Hogue solved the recoil problem as their new rubber grip protects the web of your hand as well as the thumb joint. The K6 handles the 357 handily now that the recoil problem is solved. I have several 357 snubbies and prefer to shoot 38/44 level loads. And the load I use shoots well in the K6, the 640, and my KC.

I'm not afraid to shoot 357s in my K6.

User Tag List