Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2022 .22 Showdown

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    A plain vanilla Ruger SR22 gets used more often than any other .22 pistol on the property. Being what it is - light, small and possessing a stiff trigger - it is not conducive to pinpoint accuracy... but when "sort-of" benched and fussed with, it isn't all that bad. With CCI Mini-Mags, it is as reliable as we could ask for. After a few years of use, the original magazines are still humming along even though they looked laughable right out of the box.

It is so blessed easy to care for that about anyone can take it down and clean it quite thoroughly. Fun... lots of fun (did I mention fun?) and a lot of trainer/plinker for the money. It may get little respect from the cognoscenti, but I likes 'em.

(N.B. If I had to feed myself with a .22, I'd probably want a Ruger MkII, III or some flavor of Buck Mark.)
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Fun... lots of fun (did I mention fun?)
    "You're doing it wrong."

I've never owned an SR22, but those I've shot have been fine/fun. I'm sure I haven't been exposed to more than 1500 or 2000 rounds through one(s), but they've been fine (fun).

Site Supporter
    I have a mkiv ruger 22/45 that I want to get a trigger job for...maybe a Volquartsen kit or something...the gun is very accurate in stock form but I definitely want to tinker. It doesn't have anything in common with any of my other guns, but after I used it a lot I shot my first 100/100 on a B8 with a centerfire gun

Also, dont get it twisted, the Beretta 92FS-R is a different gun than just some wonky ass conversion kit. The one I have is the rental mule I got from the local range. Also it has 15 round mags which I like. With God knows how many rounds down the gun, its still incredibly reliable and accurate. It also has a rail to mount lights or lasers or whatever...

I have been able to shoot 100/100 on B8s with it easily even with the first DA shot. The only reliability issues are with ammo that won't run in my Ruger either.

Being a TDA weirdo, I also think that if you can shoot a TDA rimfire well, you can shoot anything well. Doesn't matter that my carry pistol has a 6.5lb DA trigger and the 92 rimfire is like 13lbs DA.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

@LockedBreech

Usually I start totally new to guns people with Airsoft Glocks.

It takes away some of the stress and danger.

It can also be done without pressure at home in the basement.

Not having muffs and other people banging away with ARs at the same time is also super helpful for facilitating communication.

Site Supporter
    My Glock 44 has been totally reliable with the original slide. I have, however, changed the front sight to an Ameriglo black front that is 0.165 inch tall and 0.110 inch wide, and changed the rear sight to a 6.5 mm Glock factory plastic fixed sight. I colored the white part of the rear sight black with a sharpie. This combination provides a 6:00 hold at 25 yards. The improved visibility of the sight picture over the factory sights has helped my accuracy.

I also have a Nelson Precision slide with a Swampfox Liberty optic, which I am just beginning to use. I will hopefully be able to post more about this combination soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    FWIW, Chris Baker wasn't super impressed with the Sig. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiZKoyjU5Ws
    Holy cow that was quite the train wreck!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

My M&P 22 compact has been stellar in every way, but I run my advantage arms G19 conversion a lot more because I dumped the rest of my M&P tribe years ago. My AA conversion is horribly ammo picky and will not run with much besides remington golden bullets. My intent is to invest in a G44 at some point.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

I’m well over 5000 rounds through my G44 and it’s been very reliable. I did have issues at first because I let the rounds nose dive in the magazine. Once I started paying attention to the 8th, 9th and 10th round, that problem has gone away.

I also took out the adjustable rear sight and replaced it with a Gen 5 19 factory sight paired with a Dawson FO front sight. It gives me a much better sight picture. I bought a threaded barrel and got tired of swapping it out so I bought a second G44. I also installed a thug plug to add a little weight.

The M&P Compact 22 I had was a great pistol too but it got sold.

The MK4 Rugers are good but need a little work and don’t mimic anything else so I got rid of it too. But I do like them for an open gun in SC.

My Kimber 22 conversion kit for a 1911 has been a blast once I polished up the extractor.

At the price of components nowadays, I’m keeping a 22 trainer around for my 1911’s and Glocks.

In 2022, my favorite .22 designs are the classic ones. Today I pulled out a Colt Woodsman that was made in 1938. When it came to be in my care, it was well worn as can be seen in the pictures. It now has a new Cerakote finish and is good for another ninety years or so. Most of the older .22 designs have very similar controls and manual of arms.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My favorite so far has been my Browning 1911-22 shot show edition. Eats everything. A bit small for large hands but for teaching the wife and kids it's very friendly and quite fun for casual range time. Field strips just like its big brother.

I'm waiting to see if the Sig P322 will supplant its reign as the fun gun.
    Last edited by EMC; 08-04-2022 at 10:27 AM.

User Tag List