Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LA Times - No Culture of Violence at LAPD SWAT

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Still a thing.

Tier 1 is all mission capabilities, including deliberate hostage rescue.

Tier 2 is everything but deliberate hostage rescue.

It goes down to a Tactical Response Team, then a perimeter/containment team.

I pretty much agree with the NTOA standard. I think basically any part-time team believing they’re equipped for deliberate HR is fooling themselves.

https://ntoa.org/pdf/swatstandards.pdf
    Fully agree. Emergency HR is one thing and when that flag goes up, even patrol should have some modicum of capability (looking at you Uvalde). Planned deliberate HR is (in my opinion) far beyond a collateral duty team, and honestly probably a number of full-time teams. That’s the Super Bowl of tactical units.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Fully agree. Emergency HR is one thing and when that flag goes up, even patrol should have some modicum of capability (looking at you Uvalde). Planned deliberate HR is (in my opinion) far beyond a collateral duty team, and honestly probably a number of full-time teams. That’s the Super Bowl of tactical units.
    Yep. I think there are just two or three fed tac teams that are authorized for deliberate HR. The part-time FBI team here trains a week every month, and they are quite good, but they’re still emergency HR only.

Of course, there are plenty of local teams that train 8-10 hours a month that think they can do anything because they’re “SWAT.”

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I pretty much agree with the NTOA standard. I think basically any part-time team believing they’re equipped for deliberate HR is fooling themselves.
    https://ntoa.org/pdf/swatstandards.pdf
    Agreed. When I was SWAT Commander, I had already made the decision in my mind that should we ever have a true hostage situation scenario I’d be calling specific teams to help.

Name:  574DA504-4ABD-4A0C-AD70-4DD1A8AC8E23.jpeg
Views: 392
Size:  19.1 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Main "Story"
    https://www.latimes.com/california/s...d-review-finds

Referenced "story"
    https://www.latimes.com/california/s...awsuit-alleges

"SWAT officers did not use force in 1,245 of the 1,350 incidents they responded to between 2012 and 2022 ... "
    Do they still screech about the SIS assassinator squad?

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Agreed. When I was SWAT Commander, I had already made the decision in my mind that should we ever have a true hostage situation scenario I’d be calling specific teams to help.

Name:  574DA504-4ABD-4A0C-AD70-4DD1A8AC8E23.jpeg
Views: 392
Size:  19.1 KB
    The SWAT commander I started under knew what we were capable of, and more importantly, what we weren't capable of. We planned this with FBI for years-- If we had a legit hostage, we would call the FBI regional team. They would respond and simultaneously call the enhanced team in Atlanta and HRT, who would both respond.

Fast forward a few years...that SWAT commander promoted out, and we got a new SWAT commander that thought we were SEAL Team 6. My last call-out, just a few days before I left the PD for my current agency, was a true hostage situation. Bad guy fires shots at a gas station and took the clerk hostage. Had a cocked 9mm to the clerk's head, finger on the trigger, for over six hours. I, as the only assistant team leader on scene, went to the SWAT commander and the brass and said we need to request the FBI team. I was told in no uncertain terms that we would be taking care of it by ourselves (which would have been way better if we had ever trained for such a thing).

Snipers were on one side of the building, and I had the entry team on the opposite side. I was literally having to walk guys through a HR entry (push and go, pull and hold, etc) because we never worked on HR stuff. It didn't matter, really, because the brass said we'd only get the greenlight if the bad guy shot the hostage. The only reason it ended peacefully was because the bad guy started coming down off his high and decided he didn't want to die.

We were supposed to be the "best" team in the region...Truthfully, we were just good (at some things)...we weren't great. I suspect that's true of a lot of part-time teams.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Do they still screech about the SIS assassinator squad?
    My SIS buddy says that their tactics have changed with time and technology...I don't think they find themselves in those situations as often as they used to. That's the impression he gives me, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Not everything called SWAT is a highly trained team of professionals. How many 'SWAT' teams are just regular bubba officers all TAC'd out?

Anytime the general public sees external body armor and/or a rifle, they call it SWAT. I got calls several times wanting to know why our "SWAT team" had deployed to a given location. I would respond that we didn't have a SWAT team, and the people would argue with me.

**Note: We did have a team at one point, but I disbanded it due to staffing issues. The new admin is trying to get one off of the ground.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I’ve alway heard that once SWAT arrives on scene and takes over the incident is safely resolved without force 90-95% of the time.
    Unless you classified a negotiator talking the suspect to death as homicide. I had a friend who was a negotiator with another department, and he could talk you to death over breakfast.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Unless you classified a negotiator talking the suspect to death as homicide. I had a friend who was a negotiator with another department, and he could talk you to death over breakfast.
    When I first started on SWAT there was a negotiator who was something like 0/5 for talking to suicidal subjects. I’m not sure if it was bad luck or the way she dealt with people.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    When I first started on SWAT there was a negotiator who was something like 0/5 for talking to suicidal subjects. I’m not sure if it was bad luck or the way she dealt with people.
    I worked with a guy who unsuccessfully attempted CPR numerous times.

Instead of his radio number, we began calling him but the radio code for notifying the coroner.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Not everything called SWAT is a highly trained team of professionals. How many 'SWAT' teams are just regular bubba officers all TAC'd out?
    The use of force percentages I discussed are based on nationwide SWAT responses. Not every team is LAPD or LASO. There are smaller jurisdictions that are more of a response team then a SWAT team. It’s been pretty much discussed about Tier levels and the need to know your limitations. jlw had a pretty good point about assumptions based on equipment seen.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List