Thread: Deck Screening

Deck Screening

Tell me what you know please:

Retractable/Motorized screen options

Staple/ track system

Type of screen, UV, sunscreen, fiberglass

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    We've used motorized options a handful of times, rarely enough that I can't recommend anything specific. It did work well, as I recall. Or at least nobody ever called me back to fix it.

Normally we use the Screen-Tight mini track system. You know the window screens in your windows - basically you make a bunch of those all around your porch/deck. It's a good system because it's very accommodating for all kinds of opening sizes. The way you have to place the tracks may require some retrofitting on an existing deck. This is the best stationary system I've found though, we use it on all our screened-in projects.

We use fiberglass screen because it can stretch, and get a good tight screen. It's harder to do that with aluminum -aluminum is much less forgiving if you don't pull it perfectly straight and tight (you'll see waves/ripples), but the flip side is that fiberglass will stretch/sag more than aluminum over time. One's not really better than the other, as they both function well - you just get what you pay for with durability.

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    Tell me what you know please:

Retractable/Motorized screen options

Staple/ track system

Type of screen, UV, sunscreen, fiberglass
    Do you mean to include a retractable "roof" system, or is this just having "sides" or not?

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    Do you mean to include a retractable "roof" system, or is this just having "sides" or not?
    No retractable roof only sides for screened in room on deck

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    No retractable roof only sides for screened in room on deck
    I've stuck with glass on the lower 50-60%. Lots of washing nose prints. Most of my circle who want screen have gone with fixed screen. My spendy friend who tried the retractable setup loved it for a day, day-and-a half, until his labrador took out most of it in her first exposure.

Probably not helpful, but ask about dogs, if you're not a cat person.

User Tag List