Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Utility of a WML for Concealed Carry

Site Supporter

Utility of a WML for Concealed Carry

What is the utility of a WML on a carry pistol?

I purchased a Raven light bearing holster when they first came out with the thought that having a light on my pistol was better than not having a light on my pistol. When I made the switch to AIWB, I felt the benefits outweighed the loss of the WML. As I've done more lowlight training, especially the lowlight class Todd taught a few years ago using the NRA's turning target system, I've thought a lot more about when I would actually use a WML on a carry gun. At the NRA low light class, the turning target system was used with a short exposure to give the shooter just enough time to ID and shoot (if needed). ID was required before drawing, and drawing when faced with a non-threat was considered a failure. That class cemented my belief that it was better to just be really good at SHO shooting and use a handheld light since I'd likely already have the light in my weak hand.

For me, the WML makes a lot of sense at home because I might need to be able to go pick up a toddler while using the light and/or shooting. I also have a lot less problems with pointing a gun at someone who is in my house in the middle of the night when they shouldn't be compared to pointing or even drawing a gun in public before I'm positively sure it's necessary, which would seem to require a handheld, if a light is needed at all.

Re: for a civvy: to my mind, illuminating a previously identified *known* threat which has already justified the use of lethal force while maintaining a two handed grip on the gun. Hard for me to imagine another situation where it would be appropriate. My imagination may be failing me, but I think that using the pointy end of a gun for target/threat ID - at least outside the home - is just asking for a felony beef.

IOW, I think the utility is not much, especially for the extra bulk and weight they bring to the table.

I've just started this experiment myself after reaching too many times for the wife's WML equipped home defense handgun at night when hearing the dog bark.

I put my money where my mouth was and ordered an IWB from JM Custom for my Gen4 17 with an X200. Today was that happy day when the holster arrived and I am very pleased so far.

I can't get away from the utility of the WML. Great minds think alike.
    #RESIST

I know nyeti runs a WML on his VP9 using a holster made for it.
    Sheep Have Wool

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    As I've done more lowlight training, especially the lowlight class Todd taught a few years ago using the NRA's turning target system, I've thought a lot more about when I would actually use a WML on a carry gun. At the NRA low light class, the turning target system was used with a short exposure to give the shooter just enough time to ID and shoot (if needed). ID was required before drawing, and drawing when faced with a non-threat was considered a failure. That class cemented my belief that it was better to just be really good at SHO shooting and use a handheld light since I'd likely already have the light in my weak hand.
    I was at that training session that Todd did too, and I walked away with the same belief as you. Sometimes in the dark, a bright white light can change peoples' perception and intentions really quickly, without the need to introduce a firearm into the mix.

As for a WML at home, I'd love to get my hands on a used Surefire or Streamlight and put it to the test on the range and in Force on Force training. But then again, I've got a rifle with a light for things like that.

I find very, very little utility for a CCW pistol with a WML. If it's something as small and easy to add as the CT trigger guard units than maybe.

I know of exactly zero incidents involving folks outside of the house in a CCW incident where a WML was needed, or any light for that matter.

My carry gun wears an Inforce APL. I'm not going to point a gun at someone that I'm unsure of whether or not they're a threat (I also EDC a handheld), but there are a few situations I can imagine where you know someone/thing is a threat, but it isn't light enough to properly see your sights. I live in a mostly rural area (not a lot of ambient/street lights) and am generally a night owl, not a good recipe for a clear sight picture. I've taken a couple of low light classes and have done enough low light practice to know that I'm much better off utilizing a WML with both hands on the gun, than I am SHO and a handheld.

Something I need to work on, yes....but still the fact of the matter.

I bought a Raven early on when I was issued an M&P40/TLR. I don't think having the light on a CCW gun is that big a deal one way or the other but it's usually convenient for me for my duty gun to be my off duty gun too. If I had another M&P40 I might carry it off duty w/o light.

A handgun with a Surefire light and a DG switch comes in very handy for recreating at night with a dog, where one of your hands may be holding a leash.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've never carried my gun without a WML, so perhaps I don't know what I'm missing, but I've been able to conceal my P30LS with X400U without any real issues when using AIWB, even though I've a fairly slight frame (5'8", ~140 lbs.); multiple instructors have expressed mild amazement at this feat, so I guess it's not as easy as I had originally thought it was. My plan has always been to simply drop my hand held to shoot two handed (I have it on a lanyard, so I don't actually lose the light); Hell, dropping the light makes it easier for me to clear my cover garment (generally will be a t-shirt), since my weak hand is now entirely free. Thus, in my limited experience, the only real negative is cost, as the bulk and weight is something I've never had a problem with (which, again, is probably because I've never known anything else).

There's also the mild bonus of having a stand-off device that would prevent the gun from being pushed out of battery in a contact shot. Then there's the whole utility of lasers thing, but I suppose that's technically not a WML issue.

User Tag List