Thread: Surefire E1B-MV Backup

Surefire E1B-MV Backup

So I lost my Streamlight Protac flashlight and wanting to buy American and always having wanted a Surefire I found a great deal on an E1B-MV. I was really eyeing up the EDC Light Builder lights but my budget was around $100. Maybe someday. I know I'm late to the party on the Backup but I'm really digging this little light. It fits my needs perfectly.

Name:  PXL_20220923_233110561.MP.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  52.0 KB

Just wondering who here still carries a Backup and what batteries you are using. I like the idea of a couple of rechargeable batteries but from what I've been reading you take a hit on performance by going this route. Is that truly the case?

@NH Shooter
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

ICR and IMR have a higher voltage output than primary cells, and thus can cause issues, though it depends flashlight to flashlight (I would think that the SureFires would be fine, though unlike some flashlights, will not see a boost in output); there are also options that have a diode built in to step down the voltage. IFR (LiFePO4) rechargeables match the voltage of a primary cell much closer, and are thus a better choice from a voltage perspective (and are also typically considered much safer due to the battery chemistry).

All rechargeables have much reduced capacity compared to a primary cell, from 2/3rd to a 1/3rd of the capacity of a primary cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Just wondering who here still carries a Backup and what batteries you are using. I like the idea of a couple of rechargeable batteries but from what I've been reading you take a hit on performance by going this route. Is that truly the case?

@NH Shooter
    If it was mine I'd drop a 16340 in and see how it works - I suspect it would be fine, but can't say for sure.

A typical CR123 battery has between 1500 - 1600 mAh of capacity, a 16340 about half that. The main limitation of CR123 batteries are their current handling capacity. Bear in mind that a CR123 at 50% remaining capacity will have lower voltage under load than a 16340 at 50% so a direct comparison via cell capacity alone may not provide an accurate estimate of run time at equal brightness.

Once you get into 2-cell lights, an 18650 Li-ion outperforms a pair of CR123s by a large margin.

Surefire makes nice stuff. :-)
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

I have one of these lights. It is a good light. I changed the tail cap out for one with the shroud around it so it will tail stand.

I still use the backup as I’ve found nothing to replace it . I use sure fire batteries

Surefire E1B- MV Backup

I’ve used the backup since it hit the market. As an every day light it dose everything I need a CCW light to do.

Site Supporter
    I bought the Gen 1 version 80 ish lumens in Houston in the summer of 2009. Liked the size relative a 6P. Liked the pocket clip. Was always meh on the switching of high low.

A few years back, I updated the head with a Malkoff M61 head (450 Lumens) with a Valiant Concepts Head.

https://malkoffdevices.com/products/...re-and-malkoff

https://malkoffdevices.com/products/...-concepts-head

When mated with a 880 mAh Orbtronic 16340, it throws a flood oriented beam of 320ish + lumens based on my guestimation as it is distinctly brighter than a 200 lumen SF G2 and about as bright as a 320 SF G2 and not as bright as an M61 450 lumen upgraded 6P or a 500 Lumen SF I have .

FWIW/YMMV
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List