Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8.6 Blackout?

8.6 Blackout?

To be honest, I’ve never even heard of this one before barrels were mentioned in a Brownells email today. It’s being touted as “.300 BLK’s big brother” in AR10 or bolt action platforms.

Anyone given it any thought? The idea of a compact AR10 in the style of a larger Rattler is intriguing.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I've heard about it on a number of podcast and YouTube channels I watch.

Here's one, but this guy comes at it more from a hunting standpoint, point of view.

Still trying to figure out exactly who the target audience of this new round is.

I know a lot of people keep saying that new cartridges have always kept coming out, but to me it feels like the last 10 years we've gone nuts with trying to come up with as many new ones as absolutely possible.

The 8.6 Blackout From Faxon Firearms and Q | The Big Brother to 300 Blackout

As a shooting friend said "It's neat but not write a check neat". If I was depredation professional hunting monster hogs at night or a game ranch wanting to impress clients I could see it as a business expense. I'm not in a profession that needs such so it's a curiosity at best.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I know a lot of people keep saying that new cartridges have always kept coming out, but to me it feels like the last 10 years we've gone nuts with trying to come up with as many new ones as absolutely possible.
    Some years ago I read P.O. Ackley's Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders (both volumes because I put the NERD in gun nerd) and it seems the only thing that's really changed is it's the manufacturers driving the new cartridges as opposed to individual shooters or gunsmiths. It's amazing how many of those old wildcats overlapped each other. Some were developed independently of each other in different parts of the country, some were as simple as someone changing the shoulder angle just so they could put their name on a new cartridge.

The same shooting friend I discussed the 8.6 with bought into the .222 Rem Mag when it came out then got left high and dry when it went away (at least for factory ammo) so he always looks at these new calibers with a jaded eye.

OTOH I have a soft spot for old sporting cartridges (.257 Roberts anyone?) and turn of the century American and European target cartridges so WTH do I know...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post

OTOH I have a soft spot for old sporting cartridges (.257 Roberts anyone?) and turn of the century American and European target cartridges so WTH do I know...
    Oh heck yeah!

I posted this story last year but you might not have caught it.

One day last year my wife was out doing some antique shopping and ran across a small book on deer hunting that she thought looked kind of neat and would be a nice addition to our house, as a knick knack. When she brought it home I looked at it and realized that the author was Major Ned Roberts. What a find! 2 weeks later an early model Ruger 77 in the Bob showed up and I felt like it was intervention from above. I had to buy it. It's a neat little gun. Not too heavy, not too light. Recoil very reasonable and very acceptable accuracy for a hunting rifle.

Just a few months before that I purchased my first ever 6.5 Swede. Not really sure why, I have more than enough 6.5 CM to go around and do the jobs it needs to do.

I do find it interesting though that for the past several years it looks like every new invention is aimed at long, sleek, heavy for caliber bullets for extreme long range shooting or Long Range Hunting. Heck, later this year we're going to get the 7mm PRC coming out. The 8.6 seems like going in a completely different direction.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Has all the politics and BS around .375 Raptor died down yet to the point it would make sense to try?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I've heard about it on a number of podcast and YouTube channels I watch.

Here's one, but this guy comes at it more from a hunting standpoint, point of view.

Still trying to figure out exactly who the target audience of this new round is.

Thanks for posting this because it answers my question of "how does this differ from the .338 Federal?"
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Thanks for posting this because it answers my question of "how does this differ from the .338 Federal?"
    I didn't know the 338 Federal existed until just a few months ago. An intriguing round to me but nobody around here carries it and looks like it's nearly impossible to find these days

I learned about 9x39 from video games in the past, and this ammo below looks to be in the same space as 8.6BLK.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/wolf...-p-109140.aspx

This guy has some interesting videos regarding 8.6 Blackout reloading and bullet performance in gel blocks: https://www.youtube.com/c/ArchersParadox2020

OK, kids, GenX grandpa has a story for you. .300BO didn't drop into your AR by magic. There was this guy, JD Jones, who did a lot of cartridge development back in the Bush41 era. One of them was .300 Whisper, which later got copied/pirated/ripped off and became .300BO. But that's not the end of the story. JD created an entire family of Whisper cartridges, with not one, but two, .338s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whispe...tridge_family)
    Last edited by Hambo; 08-01-2022 at 06:25 AM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List