Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultra lite packable tarts? (Alternative to, or similar to, or larger than, a space bl

Ultra lite packable tarps? (Alternative to, or similar to, or larger than, a space bl

I picked up a batch of these and have them stashed around various places, and in other bags (backpack, briefcase, sling, etc.) for when the bag you bring ain’t enough bag.

BeeGreen Tote Bags -Reusable-Shopping-Bags

What this got me wondering about is, are there “tarps” made of a similar ultralight material? If you’re not familiar with these types of bags, it’s almost like a parachute material, but perhaps even more light weight. Almost sheer, certain,y not fully opaque.

I have a few “space blankets”, and my rabbit-holing in this led me to discover that you can get them in all sorts of colors now, such as the
    Swiss Safe Emergency Mylar Thermal Blankets
    But these are kinda heavier duty than what I have in mind. And they are fully opaque.

Fwiw, use case would mostly be for improvised shade structures. Space blankets seem to run around ~52-60” x 82-85”, and my hope would be that with a lighter material you might be able to up the coverage area without upping the bulk.

Searches for things like “packable tarp” don’t really return the type of results I’d want. They seem to err more on the sturdy side whereas I’d be willing to sacrifice some durability for light weight and compact size.
    Last edited by rob_s; 07-31-2022 at 09:37 AM.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Ultra light packable tart:

(If you want me to fix your thread title, let me know, but I couldn't not do this in the meantime)
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

(If you want me to fix your thread title, let me know, but I couldn't not do this in the meantime)
    I was thinking, don’t the tarts scream when you stuff them in the bag? Maybe ultra light packable wenches would be better.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Silnylon is the gold standard for ultralight tarp camping.

https://sectionhiker.com/sectionhike...packing-tarps/
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Silnylon is the gold standard for ultralight tarp camping.

https://sectionhiker.com/sectionhike...packing-tarps/
    That’s helpful, thanks.

Looks like there are ponchos in that material too which might be a good double duty option for my needs.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I've made shelters, hammocks tarps, etc. out of surplus parachutes. Cut to size, hem the edges and a couple cans of camp dry to make it shed the rain.

A quick search turned this up https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...gaaumwealw_wcb

I've had a Baggu bag in every bag I've taken anywhere for years, simply because it was green and my wife bought it, but it's been priceless for me.

I'd look to UL hiking and section hikers, as already mentioned. I've got some sil-nylon and dyneema/cuben fiber tarps that are really light, but their packing size varies. My dyneema gear packs much larger, but also much lighter. Most of the time the space penalty is worth it. The cost though, likely an order of magnitude above what you're looking for.

Z-Packs
    Sea to Summit Sil-nylon
    Mountain Laurel
    Hammock Gear (dyneema tarps)
    Hammock Gear Sil-poly

Last but not least, Frogg Toggs... They're always useful and low cost enough to use and abuse without worry.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I've got one of these: https://kifaru.net/store/shelters/tarps/sheep-tarp/

Haven't used it yet, but I've got it.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    My dyneema gear packs much larger, but also much lighter. Most of the time the space penalty is worth it. The cost though, likely an order of magnitude above what you're looking for.
    Both of these are good points

1) for my use, packed size matters more than weight. If there’s such a thing as “smaller but heavier” then I’ll take it.
    2) cost is also a factor. I’m not out there primitive camping with this stuff. I like quality gear because when I do need it I want it to work, but I also am fine with it working only a few times. I’m not packing and unpacking this thing over and over. It’s gonna sit in it’s storage spot until a hot day has me rigging up a cover over my tube as I float down the river, or drape from a tree while out somewhere with the family to give us some shade.

Fwiw, I don’t actually care of this particular product is waterproof (unless, obviously, I try double-duty using a poncho), the use is almost entirely for shade. We live in Florida, and I’m a native. If it rains we either get wet or we go inside. If it’s hot and sunny… we’ll it’s always hot and sunny.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

-----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List