Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 HAM'R vs 6.8 vs .308

300 HAM'R vs 6.8 vs .308

Wilson has developed the 300 HAMR for shooting supersonic loads in an AR-15 sized platform.

I have a 12.5 inch Noveske 6.8 upper from years ago, with a stash of 110 grain Barnes from Silver State Armory. Does the HAMR offer enough over a 6.8 to make it interesting as a short barrel combination that could poke a hole in a bear's skull, harvest a smaller game animal, while still being in the handy AR-15 sized family?

The SCAR 17 is bigger and heavier, especially magazines, although I get that sometimes there is no free lunch on weight and size.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Wilson has developed the 300 HAMR for shooting supersonic loads in an AR-15 sized platform.

I have a 12.5 inch Noveske 6.8 upper from years ago, with a stash of 110 grain Barnes from Silver State Armory. Does the HAMR offer enough over a 6.8 to make it interesting as a short barrel combination that could poke a hole in a bear's skull, harvest a smaller game animal, while still being in the handy AR-15 sized family?

The SCAR 17 is bigger and heavier, especially magazines, although I get that sometimes there is no free lunch on weight and size.
    I don't have any experience with the .300 hamr. I had a finicky Franken upper in 6.8 quite a few years back. Just looking at their respective numbers you're trading sectional density for a bit of velocity. Looks like a 100fps advantage to the hammer with 110gr in a 16" tube. Being able to use regular mags would be a plus though.

I can't say that I'd be in a hurry to switch if I had a functioning 6.8 upper. Not a whole lot of bear skulls that would stand up to a 6.8mm 110gr TTSX @ 2500fps

Last year my wife bought a stripped AR lower and stated she wanted “something different”. We looked at the Grendel, the SPC and a couple other cartridges.

The Ham’r seemed to be the easy button. Standard bcg, nothing tricky in the springs, buffer or gas system. The cartridge won’t chamber in a 5.56 barrel. 30-30ish ballistics. Brass available from Starline and lately ammo from SIG.

I assembled a 16” mid length gassed gun with a 2 MOA dot sight and she’s quite pleased with it. 50 yard accuracy has been a big one hole group. The downsides are slightly increased recoil over 5.56 and the cartridge stacks/works best in Magpul .300blk magazines.

If a 30-30 with a pointy bullet from a 20 or 30 round magazine would work for you then the Ham’r should do.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    You probably know someone who could get you invited to go hog hunting with Mr. Wilson and ask him.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I'd go 6.8. It kills just like the .270 Winchester with less kick; just as it was designed to do.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Dude,

If .308 is an option, get the .308.

Saco Montana, Seward Alaska, Salmon Idaho. All those places you will find somebody with a box of .308 tucked away somewhere. The .308 is all over the globe. It will take everything that walks on the surface of the globe. No it is not fancy. People rarely write articles about it these days as it does not evoke much excitement, but it gets the job done reliably.

But consider that one cartridge can do it all in both autoloader and bolt action. 155 grain Scenar to 200 grain Nosler Partition. Done.

I spent some time shooting the SCAR 27 yesterday. It shoots great and is very confidence inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I spent some time shooting the SCAR 27 yesterday. It shoots great and is very confidence inspiring.
    Oops, make that the SCAR 17.

Definitely something to ammo availability. Using Midway as a source, they have one kind of 6.8 in stock, and pages of .308 choices. There is plenty of .300 HAMR ammo available from Wilson, but that is very dependent on Wilson supporting the cartridge. My wife's preference is to stick with .300 BLK as her short barrel cartridge, as we are so invested in that cartridge already between Rattlers and other AR based one's.

This probably adds nothing to the pie but for what its worth we kill ALOT of wild hogs with 300BLK pistols supersonic suppressed. Many of these are bristly backed 200#+ hogs. Nothing compared to the animals you have to account for but fairly hard to kill/stop in my neck of the woods.

Chris

User Tag List