Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: House Passes "Assault Weapon" Ban

Site Supporter
    No one cares about that. Do the abortion foes care about the medical practices that go out of business? The societal costs for unwanted children that will be in poverty and eventually cost the state money?

Does California care that its law defining how pigs have to be raised is driving this live stock business out of state and depriving hard working everyday folks thousands of jobs? NYC and California have banned foie gras as have quite a few countries.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 08-01-2022 at 12:12 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    What would be the fallout from an actual Ban. How many business go belly up? How many people hit the unemployment line?
    I fear the fallout from a ban like this would make us wish for problems so simple as closing businesses, and people unemployed.

So, here’s a concerning piece of the bill.

“ (D)A semiautomatic pistol that—
    (i)has an ammunition feeding device that is not a fixed ammunition feeding device; and
    (ii)has any 1 of the following:
    (I)A threaded barrel.
    (II)A second pistol grip.
    (III)A barrel shroud.
    (IV)The capacity to accept a detachable ammunition feeding device at some location outside of the pistol grip.
    (V)A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.”

Section V is a problem. Does this mean that ALL Glocks (because of the Glock 18) are banned or just the double stack 9mm variants? Does this mean all Beretta 92s and 96s (because of the 93R) are banned or just the 9mm variants? Same thing with TDA CZs.

I know the bill still has a ways to go before it’s signed into law and the chances of that are slim, but still. All of my double stack 9mm guns potentially fall in the ban hammer category.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    So, here’s a concerning piece of the bill.

“ (D)A semiautomatic pistol that—
    (i)has an ammunition feeding device that is not a fixed ammunition feeding device; and
    (ii)has any 1 of the following:
    (I)A threaded barrel.
    (II)A second pistol grip.
    (III)A barrel shroud.
    (IV)The capacity to accept a detachable ammunition feeding device at some location outside of the pistol grip.
    (V)A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.”

Section V is a problem. Does this mean that ALL Glocks (because of the Glock 18) are banned or just the double stack 9mm variants? Does this mean all Beretta 92s and 96s (because of the 93R) are banned or just the 9mm variants? Same thing with TDA CZs.

I know the bill still has a ways to go before it’s signed into law and the chances of that are slim, but still. All of my double stack 9mm guns potentially fall in the ban hammer category.
    If you want to get into legalistic semantics the G18 is a full auto firearm derived from a native semi auto firearm (G17). Not the other way around. Same with the Beretta 93R vs B92.,

Failing that it becomes a chicken or the egg debate and that would be unconstitutionally vague.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I fear the fallout from a ban like this would make us wish for problems so simple as closing businesses, and people unemployed.
    Um, yes. Well understated, sir.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Years ago, I read a post in a discussion of 2A on another forum, something along the lines of, "I always figure when they go for confiscation, it's time."
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Years ago, I read a post in a discussion of 2A on another forum, something along the lines of, "I always figure when they go for confiscation, it's time."
    That’s a really, really tough thing to agree with. The only thing I know is this: once confiscation is over, it’s past time.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If you want to get into legalistic semantics the G18 is a full auto firearm derived from a native semi auto firearm (G17). Not the other way around. Same with the Beretta 93R vs B92.,

Failing that it becomes a chicken or the egg debate and that would be unconstitutionally vague.
    The whole thing is unconstitutional. I doubt that being unconstitutionally vague on top of the rest bothers them overmuch.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'm hearing the same thing on my urban neighborhood facebook group from people who are reliably very liberal in every other way. I don't think this is going to unwind in a predictable fashion for the folks who proposed it.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I'm hearing the same thing on my urban neighborhood facebook group from people who are reliably very liberal in every other way. I don't think this is going to unwind in a predictable fashion for the folks who proposed it.
    I take great comfort in, A: you saying that, and B: you having an enviable track record of not being an idiot. I’ll sleep better assuming that you are correct on this.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List