Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Springfield teasing a 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    2011’s are off patent so SA doesn’t need to seek out some weird Serbo-Croatian single action pistol that takes proprietary magazines.
    A '2011' that took $30 XD magazines vs $99 2011 mags would be pretty cool though.

Theres even a factory 140mm 22rd mag for the XDM for $30....

The biggest weakness of the 2011 platform is the expensive and iffy reliability of the 2011 magazine, as well as the .38 Super dimensions.

Going with a regular, existing high cap 9x19 mag (ala Wilson EDC X9) would be a smart move.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    Can we truly trust the word of someone using a Non-Ultra X300???
    Or an M1A?

Just make it take Glock mags and they could take over the world.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    And all of a sudden all the safety haters are silent too….
    Which safety are you talking about, grip - thumb?
    I was pretty tired yesterday from 36 hours of straight work but now I slept the night and my hate tanks are full again.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    A '2011' that took $30 XD magazines vs $99 2011 mags would be pretty cool though.

Theres even a factory 140mm 22rd mag for the XDM for $30....

The biggest weakness of the 2011 platform is the expensive and iffy reliability of the 2011 magazine, as well as the .38 Super dimensions.

Going with a regular, existing high cap 9x19 mag (ala Wilson EDC X9) would be a smart move.
    First of all - XD magazines - or XD anything - gross. Someone is already doing this with Shield mags for the G48. The EDC 9 mags are based on Walter mags but AFAIK they aren’t interchangeable. It’s likely a feature not a big Ada far as Wilson is concerned. Gun companies exist to make money, not guns and mags are a revenue stream.

Second - most if the “iffy reliability” of old 2011 mags came from STI’s in-house production methods. The redesigned and outsourced Stacatto and MBX mags have addressed that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pm07 View Post
    Magazine wise it is supposed to be proprietary mag but also work with STI mags .
    If the mags the gun uses are interchangeable with standard 2011 mags from STI/Stacatto/MBX then it wouldn’t be proprietary (I.e. exclusive/ unique), they would just be SA 2011 mags. As opposed to something like the Bul Armory 2011s or the EDC X9.

From a business standpoint, the question is: if the gun “takes off” you can make more money selling proprietary mags but it’s more likely to “take off” if it uses common mags, sight etc which are already widely available. You also don’t risk your gun being “still born” if there is a hiccup in your mag supply chain.

Ex. Walther directing PDP owners to buy Canik mags due to PDP mag supply issues.

Side question to the thread, but with this resurgence in interest in hi-cap 1911s, what about the old Para-Ordnance pattern? I have no experience with them, so am wondering why there is no interest in that over the 2011? Is it just because Remington bought them and killed the platform or were there other issues with mags and so forth as well?

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Side question to the thread, but with this resurgence in interest in hi-cap 1911s, what about the old Para-Ordnance pattern? I have no experience with them, so am wondering why there is no interest in that over the 2011? Is it just because Remington bought them and killed the platform or were there other issues with mags and so forth as well?
    I've seen plenty of Para-Ordnance pattern guns and mags from the original Ontario firm. Their mags were compatible with most double stack 1911s made with a STI frame, but I don't know if this is still the case.

The P-O quality was hit-and-miss, and small parts were always relatively low quality.
    The early aluminum frames were too thin at the slide stop hole in the rails and cracked there (the gun still works). No problem with the steel frames.

We used to replace some small parts as needed, tweak them a little, perhaps some ergo improvements, and they run well for IPSC, but were maintenance intensive, even more than normal 1911s and not nearly as refined as the STIs.

The mags worked well and offered a little more space (they have a much steeper angle at the transition from double to single stack than modern STI mags). Since the slide of the 1911 was never designed in conjunction with a double stack mag, THAT is the weak point of the P-O, SVI/STI and 2011 variants. The looong transition of the modern mags try to solve this, at the expense of having less usable space.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    I've seen plenty of Para-Ordnance pattern guns and mags from the original Ontario firm. Their mags were compatible with most double stack 1911s made with a STI frame,.
    I have not heard that said, usually the opposite. PO is PO and STI is STI, not interoperable.
    But I don't have a PO to try. Maybe the range has the RIA/Armscor version, I will ask.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I have not heard that said, usually the opposite. PO is PO and STI is STI, not interoperable.
    But I don't have a PO to try. Maybe the range has the RIA/Armscor version, I will ask.
    Around here in south america back in the day everybody was running mix-and-match, even with some custom mag makers. Perhaps the memory is failing and they run with some adjustments?

User Tag List