Page 47 of 65 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Springfield teasing a 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    My understanding is that it's mostly parts that are, like mentioned, using MIM as a substitute process and also parts that have hard 90 degree angles. Slide stops, thumb safties, the little nib on the 2-piece magazine catch. MIM parts that tend to fare well are things like hammers, struts, sears, etc. HK parts as mentioned. The analogue to S&W revolvers is that the MIM process is resoundingly successful because the stressed parts are all similar in shape to HK parts and how they take any stress/impact. Again, hammers being the obvious example. But also triggers, rebounds, cylinder stops, etc. The parts that have complex geometry like the bolt either don't have to deal with any real shock load or are still made out of forged steel and whittled down by hand or CNC.

I'm curious as to how true that is, generally. I wonder if the "no mim in a 1911" bit could more nuanced into which specific parts of a 1911 aren't suitable to the MIM process. Some obviously aren't. But some do fine. It isn't necessary for the gun to be stuffed full of parts machined from billet unicorn horn... but where MIM isn't and is appropriate in a 1911 should be a solvable problem in 2023.
    Frankly I think MIM in a 1911 is a no-brainer and should be fine. The reason this is even a conversation is Kimber. Had Kimber never decided to cheapen out, cut QC and go with the cheapest MIM they could possibly find, we would probably not be having this conversation today - or at least not in this manner. Just about every part of a 1911 could be MIM and work just fine, save extractors, really...something Kimber tried, and then basically screwed over the whole industry with by using poorly done MIM that gave even bad castings a run for their money. Another real problem tied to that one was that Kimber not only used cheap-crap MIM, but charged forged part prices for all their 1911s - even today, a lot of their 1911s are comparable in price to Dan Wessons. Let that one rattle around for a bit...

Site Supporter
    In my series 1 Kimber, the extractor and firing pin stop were replaced to improve reliability from 99.5% to 100%. The slide stop was replaced after several thousand rounds had caused the link to wear a channel into the shaft. The barrel bushing was replaced when accuracy degraded from wear on this bushing, again after several thousand rounds. All the other MIM has held up fine
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I replaced the two piece guide rod in my 4.25" Prodigy with an EGW kit, after finding the 2-piece guide rod had largely disassembled itself under fairly light range use. Good news is it looks good and worked fine through a couple hundred rounds on the range last week. Bad news is it doesn't make the disassembly process any easier - if anything, having to fiddle fart a bent paperclip into a tiny hole between the barrel and guide rod is a LOT harder than just unscrewing the 2-piece.

More to follow, I'm at or near 1K rounds through mine now, with the only issues being it would not feed my 124gr FP FMJ reloads for love or money. I don't blame the Prodigy for that, since it's been 100% with all factory ammo I've fed it.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I replaced the two piece guide rod in my 4.25" Prodigy with an EGW kit, after finding the 2-piece guide rod had largely disassembled itself under fairly light range use. Good news is it looks good and worked fine through a couple hundred rounds on the range last week. Bad news is it doesn't make the disassembly process any easier - if anything, having to fiddle fart a bent paperclip into a tiny hole between the barrel and guide rod is a LOT harder than just unscrewing the 2-piece.

More to follow, I'm at or near 1K rounds through mine now, with the only issues being it would not feed my 124gr FP FMJ reloads for love or money. I don't blame the Prodigy for that, since it's been 100% with all factory ammo I've fed it.

Have you played with the OAL on the handloads?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter

Atlas and Dawson offer “tool less” guide rods for the Prodigy.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Have you played with the OAL on the handloads?
    I haven't, since I was at the bottom of the box of those particular rounds, and I've since switched back to shooting factory fodder, due to price and scarcity of primers.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Atlas and Dawson offer “tool less” guide rods for the Prodigy.
    The Dawson is what I wanted, unfortunately, they don't offer one for 4.25" 2011s yet. Still waiting to decide if I'm going to hold onto the Prodigy, or sell it to a buddy to fund either a Platypus or Staccato P. In the meantime, this is a "better" option, though still not perfect.

Site Supporter
    The Dawson is what I wanted, unfortunately, they don't offer one for 4.25" 2011s yet. Still waiting to decide if I'm going to hold onto the Prodigy, or sell it to a buddy to fund either a Platypus or Staccato P. In the meantime, this is a "better" option, though still not perfect.
    Atlas makes one for the 4.25.

https://atlasgunworks.com/product-details?id=92499373

The Platypus is probably what I'd go with. It should be a little thinner in circumference being based on a 9mm and not a 45 magazine. Additional mags are relatively cheap and likely won't need any tweaking, bending, swapping springs around, etc.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Here is a Prodigy Vulcan Machine Werks did -
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List