Page 10 of 65 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Springfield teasing a 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    It is humorous to watch a number of the only striker-fired, no manual safety crowd fall in love with these. 20+ years of Glocks and more have left a major gap in the collective knowledge. If you started on a 1911 and want your eyes to bleed, look at the number of them taping down the grip safety.
    However back in the 1911's heyday in use by the SMU so well known for 1911 use, "taping down" the grip safety was not uncommon by persons well versed in the 1911. Which hardly matters as so many other single action designs didn't bother with one like the BHP, P210 and newer ones like the EDC X9 which skipped on them.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The problem is SA has historically struggled with QC at all tiers, even SACS guns. When they get it right they make great guns but the “Monday” gun, “Wednesday” gun thing is very much in effect.

If I was Stacatto I’d have some type of exclusivity clause with my OEM supplier.
    The 5 SA 1911s I've had over the years have all been perfect. When working at a shop/range they were the least likely to show issues out of the box and we sold DW and nighthawk.

I rank SA right up there with g19s and M9s to be as reliable as any gun can be out of the box

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    The 5 SA 1911s I've had over the years have all been perfect. When working at a shop/range they were the least likely to show issues out of the box and we sold DW and nighthawk.

I rank SA right up there with g19s and M9s to be as reliable as any gun can be out of the box
    That’s not been my experience, nor that of others here such as @Psalms 144.1

I’ve had 7 SA 1911s over the years - 4/7 have had functional issues.

MC Operator, LB Operator with RMR were GTG out of the box. My TRP Operator is GTG but was tuned by Teddy Jacobson /Actions by T before I got it so I can’t say how it was out of the box.

Currently have a 10mm TRP that works 70% of the time…. It’s an RMR gun so I will invest in getting it running.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Most modern 1911s in general use a small (even.45s are using what started as a 9mm pin) titanium firing pin to prevent primers igniting from the gun being dropped. Lightweight, low inertia = very light strikes or none due to lack of momentum available to overcome the fp spring. My understanding.
    California drop tests are for a one meter height (that's 39.37" for recalcitrants ) on concrete

Check this:

http://dave2.freeshell.org/1911/drop1/drop1.htm

I see absolutely NO reason why a "modern" 1911 should not have a FP safety.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

My experience mirrors this, along with a couple other guys I know. I’ve had a couple other 1911s that had problems. My Springers have not failed me yet. I will say I’ve always had 5” guns though. The 9mm did not have a ton of rounds through it, so hard to really say on that. But the .45s were spot on. Long Beach and a non railed Trp were exceptional. I never ever should have sold the Long Beach. That sucker was built right.

I’m not disputing others issues, just my experiences. Have had a couple DW and the safety fitment was horrible and the 9mm commander gun needed a spring change badly to run correct on carry ammo. (Again not a 5”)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Currently have a 10mm TRP that works 70% of the time…. It’s an RMR gun so I will invest in getting it running.
    I too have a 10mm Springfield (RO elite) that came out of the bag with about the same 70% reliability. I’ve only found one brand of ammo that doesn’t give me failure to feed with the magic 3 point jam (breech face, feed ramp, top of the barrel/barrel hood) at least twice a magazine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    California drop tests are for a one meter height (that's 39.37" for recalcitrants ) on concrete

Check this:

http://dave2.freeshell.org/1911/drop1/drop1.htm

I see absolutely NO reason why a "modern" 1911 should not have a FP safety.
    Good read; I like going through 10-8 history! My understanding has increased. I’m glad I went with the extra, extra fps and ti 9mm pins in all mine!

SA related info: a ‘11 Stainless Target, Champion (commander size), and ‘12 Range Officers (all in .45) were all 100% out of the box. No experience on the newer stuff. And I never had any Imbel guns.
    Last edited by TOTS; 08-01-2022 at 04:47 PM.

20+ years of Glocks and more have left a major gap in the collective knowledge.
    And it's not just guns, my friend.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    However back in the 1911's heyday in use by the SMU so well known for 1911 use, "taping down" the grip safety was not uncommon by persons well versed in the 1911. Which hardly matters as so many other single action designs didn't bother with one like the BHP, P210 and newer ones like the EDC X9 which skipped on them.
    Was it before or after the advent of the beaver tails with the big bump on them?
    Or the user could just get The Answer from Novak.
    Fortunately, the cool action guys didn't have to worry about the plaintiff's bar. Sadly, I can see it being made an issue of in the police world.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    And it's not just guns, my friend.
    Fair enough, as you are correct.

Was it before or after the advent of the beaver tails with the big bump on them?
    Or the user could just get The Answer from Novak.
    Fortunately, the cool action guys didn't have to worry about the plaintiff's bar. Sadly, I can see it being made an issue of in the police world.
    I think taping/pinning was pre-bump, going back to ???
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List