Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1555636465

Thread: Is Springfield teasing a 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by 60167 View Post
    My gunsmith buddy tells me he "de-gunsmith screws" guns at every opportunity so that hardware is easier to come by. Or maybe I'll throw this gun into the river.
    Ask him what may be another option for plates. Can the Prodigy system be machined away and replaced with something else? I'm told the old original Trijicon plate will work. Of course that would limit you to RMR footprint.

I'd be curious to see what two additional screws would do. Will a total of four screws hold the factory plate tight on the slide? This would seem to be a pretty straightforward solution if it would work.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Ask him what may be another option for plates. Can the Prodigy system be machined away and replaced with something else? I'm told the old original Trijicon plate will work. Of course that would limit you to RMR footprint.

I'd be curious to see what two additional screws would do. Will a total of four screws hold the factory plate tight on the slide? This would seem to be a pretty straightforward solution if it would work.

I reckon it would make the plate more secure, if anything it would lessen the impact of a screw coming loose. I suspect that this problem is caused by Cerakote on the threads, and the use of an inappropriate fastener. I think a bigger screw with a different thread pitch would be a better fit for this. I'm no engineer, I just have had great luck keeping plates mounted for years for whatever that's worth.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Quote Originally Posted by 60167 View Post
    I reckon it would make the plate more secure, if anything it would lessen the impact of a screw coming loose. I suspect that this problem is caused by Cerakote on the threads, and the use of an inappropriate fastener. I think a bigger screw with a different thread pitch would be a better fit for this. I'm no engineer, I just have had great luck keeping plates mounted for years for whatever that's worth.
    One thing I've thought about is using thin brass shims at the front and back of the plate.

Shining a flashlight through or holding my slide up to bright sunlight I can see a very small gap at the front of my 509 plate. There's also a tiny bit of gap at the top of the angled interface at the back. I don't know if these small gaps are causing things to loosen but assume they don't help. Some sort of solid and non-compressible material to fill these gaps may help take some load off the screws and help keep things tight over the long haul.

Sorry if I missed something but I did read most of this thread. I’m curious why some of you are torquing the plate screws to 15-16 in/lbs?I picked up a 4.25” a few weeks ago and the instructions from Springfield say to torque to 25 in/lbs.

Somewhere between 8800-9000 rounds the head on one of the 6-48 AOS rmr plate screws broke off. Lucky I had the HEX plate that came with it and used those screws to remount it. Did not contact Springfield but could not find replacement screws anywhere. I have been thinking about having the holes for the EPS screws drilled and tapped into the slide and use a longer 6-32. If it breaks again I may have the plate tig welded to the slide and use longer screws for the EPS, git rid of the 2 plate-3 sets of screws mounting cluster. Anyhow 500 rds since remounting total of 9500 0n the EPS and 10500 on the Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by M1Garand View Post
    Somewhere between 8800-9000 rounds the head on one of the 6-48 AOS rmr plate screws broke off. Lucky I had the HEX plate that came with it and used those screws to remount it. Did not contact Springfield but could not find replacement screws anywhere. I have been thinking about having the holes for the EPS screws drilled and tapped into the slide and use a longer 6-32. If it breaks again I may have the plate tig welded to the slide and use longer screws for the EPS, git rid of the 2 plate-3 sets of screws mounting cluster. Anyhow 500 rds since remounting total of 9500 0n the EPS and 10500 on the Prodigy
    It does seem the Agency plate may be the weak sauce in all this. This may be why we're not seeing Springfield using the AOS plates on the TRP or other 1911 pistols.

CHPWS makes Prodigy plates. I haven't seen these personally. I wonder if they fit the slide a little tighter than the factory SA plates. Another hopeful is the plates that Eleven 71 Design will be working on.

It may be worth a poke at some of the other forums. Maybe the guys on Brian Enos or another competition-heavy forum have come up with some sort of work around.

I tried a chwp plate for my 509t and was a little disappointed. The rear site was so low making the top of the irons barely visible, and I’m one to prefer them as low as usably possible. The screws they sent were too short and only a few threads stuck through the plate causing them to strip before I could even torque them. I ended up using the screws from the factory plate (which looked to be longer) but they were short too and one started stripping as well. My experience with a chwp plate on a Glock is that they are thicker than other makers and this may be the same with the prodigy plates. I ditched it and ordered an sro and an aos plate and I’m much happier with the quality of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Gijoe906 View Post
    I tried a chwp plate for my 509t and was a little disappointed. The screws they sent were too short and only a few threads stuck through the plate causing them to strip before I could even torque them.
    Boo!

Other than screws and rear sight issues how was the plate? Did it fit snugly to the cutout of the slide?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Boo!

Other than screws and rear sight issues how was the plate? Did it fit snugly to the cutout of the slide?

Fit was good and snug, I’ll give them that

User Tag List