Page 4 of 65 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Springfield teasing a 2011?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Just to chime in on the Para vs STI mag deal.

Some years ago I happened to live down the road from Virgil Tripp's shop. I stopped in when I could and we talked a number of times about this stuff.

From what I remember Virgil telling me; the STI mag was made after the Para and he was able to see what was wrong with the Para and try to avoid that with the STI. Basically he said the mag feed angle was incorrect and it took lots of tweaking and bending to make Para mags run right. I guess the same was true with his mags. But they'd work without as much fuss.

I watched Todd Jarrett at several matches running away from everyone only to end up having a malf on a stage that cost him the match. He'd come in in the top two or three still but he'd likely have won more titles than he did had he not been running a Para.

Edit. This was all back when USPSA Limited and 40 S&W were big things. Maybe the Para does better as a 9mm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    As a former owner of both a Para P14 .45 and P16 .40 I’d guess no. Shorter cases aren’t helpful in the para guns.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Thumb safeties mainly. Just thinking about all the “my trigger finger is my safety” Glock fanbois who are going to emotionally struggle with the change.

What’s old is new again!

(I’m a fan of thumb safeties personally).
    I'm also a fan of thumb safeties, as long as they are not afterthought add-ons and engage and disengage positively. Thus, I removed the thumb safeties from my M&P's.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    In local competition circles the score for discharges of holstered guns over last few years is 2-0 for 2011 over strikers. I think it is 3-0 actually but I wasn't there for that one. The two I was around ended up with a bullet in a leg and a bullet hitting a ground about 4 yards from where I was standing. My informal observation is that everything that has "wide" or "tactical" on 1911/2011 gets flipped off with guns in holsters in majority of cases done under a pressure of timer. I can't get a detent on mine any deeper and have no time to profile it into a slimmer form.

TL DR version: I think thumb safeties bring in a whole lot of a false security. I use them as a necessary compromise on guns that I am not comfortable running without. If CO rules changed, my gun would likely stay the same.
    For sure, poor technique is poor technique. I’m not saying one is safer than another, I’m just commenting on a certain type of Glock shooter saying safeties are for the untrained and undisciplined.

My WC EDC X9 has the same trigger weight and length as my P365….

The one holster AD I encountered when I was scoring and standing close was a Glock IWB. Just missed his buttcheek and split his jeans seam…

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    It's on the cover of the Armory Life magazine from Springfield, but doesn't appear to be in the article.

Much cringe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I can't get a detent on mine any deeper and have no time to profile it into a slimmer form.
    I don’t think that’s how it works, lol.

Try a stronger spring for the detent.

And with a Dremel and masking tape you can trim your safeties in 30 seconds. You don’t even have to remove them from the gun.

If they allowed 2011s in CO, I would consider making a platform change.
    I think it would be a bad idea if that rule change was implemented, but I'd probably change to a 1911/2011 also.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Para and STI 2011 mags are not interchangeable in stock form.

Either modifications were involved or your memory has failed you.

The taper in the upper part of the mag body is quite different.
    My Bad...

STI made mags and replacement mag tubes for the Paras and everyone used them , but the Para tubes did not work in the STIs.

It was during the mag capacity ban years, so you had to buy them in separate parts and assemble .

I don’t think that’s how it works, lol.

Try a stronger spring for the detent.

And with a Dremel and masking tape you can trim your safeties in 30 seconds. You don’t even have to remove them from the gun.
    Both for the detent. Could use a stronger spring, mine is Wilson's and is good although it lacks the mid-spring kink of the original design that I prefer. Could also deepen and reshape the contact pocket for more and stronger engagement.

I've an example of a hand-shaped ts on my full custom here, and I think it is close to perfect. I wanna try to get close to it and might take me some.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Much cringe.

Yeah, the advertising in gun media is just... universally fuckin terrible. The full length video ads are the worst. I hate youtube with a passion and every time I have to go there for something like a scope comparison the gun-related ads are the sort of thing that either Lynn Thompson or a bunch of sexually frustrated 15 year olds would think is a good idea.

I'll take even the most Fudd-centric saccharine shit that would play ten minutes after you heard the words "Hi, I'm Jim Scouten and welcome to Shooting USA" over any of this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Yeah, the advertising in gun media is just... universally fuckin terrible. The full length video ads are the worst. I hate youtube with a passion and every time I have to go there for something like a scope comparison the gun-related ads are the sort of thing that either Lynn Thompson or a bunch of sexually frustrated 15 year olds would think is a good idea.

I'll take even the most Fudd-centric saccharine shit that would play ten minutes after you heard the words "Hi, I'm Jim Scouten and welcome to Shooting USA" over any of this shit.
    While true, the bigger problem is the character himself.

User Tag List