Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Springfield teasing a 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Which safety are you talking about, grip - thumb?
    I was pretty tired yesterday from 36 hours of straight work but now I slept the night and my hate tanks are full again.
    Thumb safeties mainly. Just thinking about all the “my trigger finger is my safety” Glock fanbois who are going to emotionally struggle with the change.

What’s old is new again!

(I’m a fan of thumb safeties personally).

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Around here in south america back in the day everybody was running mix-and-match, even with some custom mag makers. Perhaps the memory is failing and they run with some adjustments?
    Well, you are there and I am not.
    My first good look at double stack 1911 mutants was when the AWB 1994 was already in the works and I did not buy either Tripp - McCormick (original 2011), PO, or the very seldom seen Caspian high cap. I still have a nice single stack I bought instead, only to find that USPSA got real creative in their recommendations and practices. I am surprised that there weren't a bunch of vendors prosecuted over it.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Damnit Springfield, how did you know to appeal to my bushido ways!
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Well, you are there and I am not.
    My first good look at double stack 1911 mutants was when the AWB 1994 was already in the works and I did not buy either Tripp - McCormick (original 2011), PO, or the very seldom seen Caspian high cap. I still have a nice single stack I bought instead, only to find that USPSA got real creative in their recommendations and practices. I am surprised that there weren't a bunch of vendors prosecuted over it.
    Grandfathered magazines needed to be rebuilt. And it was still legal to buy used normal capacity magazines. Plus you might have damaged or worn every single component in a pre-ban magazine and needed to replace it, which was also legal.

Now iirc those magazine repair kits were running $150ish a piece in 2000 which means that in 2022 dollars they would about $240 a magazine. And kids these days bitch about STI 2011 mags being 70.00 a piece and generally working.

It's on the cover of the Armory Life magazine from Springfield, but doesn't appear to be in the article.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse870 View Post
    Just make it take Glock mags and they could take over the world.
    There's already a 1911 size pistol that uses G17 mags...the G34.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I’m game. I have had great luck with all of my Springfield 1911s. Made in America as well hopefully. 1500-1800 price range??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Thumb safeties mainly. Just thinking about all the “my trigger finger is my safety” Glock fanbois who are going to emotionally struggle with the change.

What’s old is new again!

(I’m a fan of thumb safeties personally).
    In local competition circles the score for discharges of holstered guns over last few years is 2-0 for 2011 over strikers. I think it is 3-0 actually but I wasn't there for that one. The two I was around ended up with a bullet in a leg and a bullet hitting a ground about 4 yards from where I was standing. My informal observation is that everything that has "wide" or "tactical" on 1911/2011 gets flipped off with guns in holsters in majority of cases done under a pressure of timer. I can't get a detent on mine any deeper and have no time to profile it into a slimmer form.

TL DR version: I think thumb safeties bring in a whole lot of a false security. I use them as a necessary compromise on guns that I am not comfortable running without. If CO rules changed, my gun would likely stay the same.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Around here in south america back in the day everybody was running mix-and-match, even with some custom mag makers. Perhaps the memory is failing and they run with some adjustments?
    Para and STI 2011 mags are not interchangeable in stock form.

Either modifications were involved or your memory has failed you.

The taper in the upper part of the mag body is quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Para and STI 2011 mags are not interchangeable in stock form.
    Just to chime in on the Para vs STI mag deal.

Some years ago I happened to live down the road from Virgil Tripp's shop. I stopped in when I could and we talked a number of times about this stuff.

From what I remember Virgil telling me; the STI mag was made after the Para and he was able to see what was wrong with the Para and try to avoid that with the STI. Basically he said the mag feed angle was incorrect and it took lots of tweaking and bending to make Para mags run right. I guess the same was true with his mags. But they'd work without as much fuss.

I watched Todd Jarrett at several matches running away from everyone only to end up having a malf on a stage that cost him the match. He'd come in in the top two or three still but he'd likely have won more titles than he did had he not been running a Para.

Edit. This was all back when USPSA Limited and 40 S&W were big things. Maybe the Para does better as a 9mm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

User Tag List