Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: EPS Carry issue

I practice racking using the slide but in matches I more often than not end up grabbing the optic body it itself. Fortunately the buttons on the SRO or RMR are harder to depress so have not have any issues with intensity being changed or worse turning the dot off….

However unloaded gun starts are not that common, maybe 1:6 per match or sometimes not even one. My carry gun is always loaded (unless I dry fire with it) so less of a concern. But good heads up, I’ll be more mindful of not hitting the buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    IMHO that is best reserved for emergency use only. I see far to many optics dislodging themselves from slides to make that a habit.
    If my optic could be dislodged by simply racking the gun, that would be a complete dealbreaker.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I guess I'm looking for something scientific. Seeing someone rack the slide with their hand using the optic or an object on the optic does look aggressive at times or even punishing; however, how does that compare to the force on those screws during the recoiling of the pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    This is my question to you, GJM, and others with more experience than me. Does racking the slide with your optic cause more stress on those screws than the act of firing the gun? Hope that isn't a dumb question. I am generally curious, and not sure if it would or not.
    Not @GJM, but we consider racking with the sight against a hard object an “emergency” procedure; IOW, it’s a really bad day- you are down to one hand&arm, and you’ve GOT to clear a bad round, etc.
    JMO, I don’t think one can generate the same forces-initial acceleration, velocity, etc., that firing a round does. But I try to avoid working just the sight as I can- other options. E.g., I just scanned through two Modern Samurai videos: in one, he worked the slide grasping the RMR. Next it was using the forward serrations on a Glock. So, take your chances, but I think for the moment I’ll “standardize” on using the forward Glock serrations (issued) on admin.(un)loading, pinch method as possible alternative, slide lever for slide lock load and reserve the hand over for “emergencies”. Side note: we had one of our guys change setting on a P1 once, so what can happen will (might, for JCNs benefit)happen… Curious what other instructors teaching- @SoCalDep and any others please?

Separate query @JCN: I went back over notes for RMR/MOS install on a work (training) gun. I had seen your advocacy of 6000 adhesive. Do you have an image please of how much glue and where please? I’m not visualizing it exactly…

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    I guess I'm looking for something scientific. Seeing someone rack the slide with their hand using the optic or an object on the optic does look aggressive at times or even punishing; however, how does that compare to the force on those screws during the recoiling of the pistol?
    Short answer: it doesn’t. One mfg.noted +5,000gs when slide stopped at end of recoil stroke for example.
    My point is: why submit the assembly to more forces when you don’t have to. Sorta like not hitting a pothole if you can avoid it, not jerking a door handle, etc. “Mechanical sympathy” I think is how Cooper wrote once…

So far *I* have had no such issues when using this sight , but I can see how it could happen. The Pic below is using *my* normal grip when manipulating the slide on my SS CR920 sub compact pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Short answer: it doesn’t. One mfg.noted +5,000gs when slide stopped at end of recoil stroke for example.
    My point is: why submit the assembly to more forces when you don’t have to. Sorta like not hitting a pothole if you can avoid it, not jerking a door handle, etc. “Mechanical sympathy” I think is how Cooper wrote once…
    This makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

Separate query @JCN: I went back over notes for RMR/MOS install on a work (training) gun. I had seen your advocacy of 6000 adhesive. Do you have an image please of how much glue and where please? I’m not visualizing it exactly…
    Installing the MOS plate to the slide and also an RMR to the plate, correct?

Sealing plate or no?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Installing the MOS plate to the slide and also an RMR to the plate, correct?

Sealing plate or no?
    Correct - all of the above. Factory MOS plate to G45 slide; then Trijicon sealing plate, then RMR2 .

Thanks in advance.

This doesn’t make sense to me from an engineering perspective. Forces well below the failure strength of a fastener or clamp should have a negligible effect. Pulling on the optic is a good way to test that it’s still tight. The concern about hitting the controls seems like the biggest issue. But again, I’ve never had that happen because I don’t pinch the optic when I manipulate the slide.

EDIT: I went and racked all my optics guns. Normally I use the front serrations, grabbing overhand from the top of the slide. For rapid manipulations, I push the optic. I can’t come close to operating the buttons. I think the EPS will work ok for me.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-31-2022 at 05:09 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List