Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EPS Carry issue

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Those reddots have been making a case for irons lately.
    “Irons always work”, or something similar to that effect.

I heard Clint Smith say it back in the last century.

@JCN with your hand covering the ejection port with your chosen slide racking position, have you found that you’ve cause any failures to eject when working the action to eject a live or dummy round?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post

That’s not always true. I’ve had front irons crack / fall out and rear factory dovetail irons get knocked out of alignment with heavy use. I’ve actually had more iron failures than optic failures personally.

I like optics because then you have TWO sighting systems in case one fails or is knocked out of alignment. Two is one and one is none if we are quoting cliches.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    @JCN with your hand covering the ejection port with your chosen slide racking position, have you found that you’ve cause any failures to eject when working the action to eject a live or dummy round?
    I haven’t!

It may seem strange, but I can tell by the firing pin sound (hollow or dull) and how the vibration feels in my hand (hollow or dull) if the chamber is empty or full for what type of malfunction.

If there’s a round in the chamber, the magazine gets dropped before the slide gets pulled. So the chambered round drops down the magwell and I don’t have to release my positive grip.

I can if I need to look into the chamber.

I can also choose to keep the thumb more clear of the port, but I’d rather have the mechanical advantage.

In an urgent malfunction I will knife hand the optic and not grab at all.

It’s basically a version of what I did for the Israeli carry video when it needs to be racked RIGHT NOW (skip to 1:30 of video).

I rack using SRO, 509t2, and Acro2. No problems.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post

LOL. Cajun Gun Works had to send me a replacement rear sight on their dime - the original cracked while shooting and flung the majority of itself a few yards away (a stress fracture by the rear sight notch). This is with a steady diet of minor PF loads as a simple chunk of steel.

Irons are simpler yes, but Mr. Murphy visits us all.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In the process of zeroing her EPS Carry on a 365 Spectre Comp today, my wife managed to turn the optic off three times in four magazines of shooting. When I went to shoot it, I also ended up turning it off.

Initially, I was puzzled because I have never experienced that issue with Holosun optics before. Looking at the design of the EPS Carry, the +/- buttons are large and close together. With a small slide pistol like the 365, it is natural to grab the optic. Unfortunately, each time we grabbed the optic, we were adjusting the intensity inadvertently, or worse, turning the optic off.

If I was going to carry this optic, it would only be in lock out mode. Of course, this means you will have to go out of lock out mode to adjust dot intensity. I would like to say I would never grab the optic, but things happen. Holosun could probably tweak the programming so it requires holding the plus and minus for three seconds to turn the unit off, but that still leaves the inadvertent intensity changes when touching the body of the optic
    Well that is disappointing. The only other optic I have has this issue on was when testing a Bushnell RSX-250.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I rack using SRO, 509t2, and Acro2. No problems.
    IMHO that is best reserved for emergency use only. I see far to many optics dislodging themselves from slides to make that a habit.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    IMHO that is best reserved for emergency use only. I see far too many optics dislodging themselves from slides to make that a habit.
    This is my question to you, GJM, and others with more experience than me. Does racking the slide with your optic cause more stress on those screws than the act of firing the gun? Hope that isn't a dumb question. I am generally curious, and not sure if it would or not.

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    This is my question to you, GJM, and others with more experience than me. Does racking the slide with your optic cause more stress on those screws than the act of firing the gun? Hope that isn't a dumb question. I am generally curious, and not sure if it would or not.
    Opinions will vary. Not sure how much agreement you will get. It is my opinion as someone who has been using slide mounted red dots for 12 years now and a professional Tool and Die maker, racking with the optic as rule instead of as the exception, is the wrong way to go, especially if using a plate system. Others will say they do it all the time and have never had a problem. If that is their experience, it is hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Opinions will vary. Not sure how much agreement you will get. It is my opinion as someone who has been using slide mounted red dots for 12 years now and a professional Tool and Die maker, racking with the optic as rule instead of as the exception, is the wrong way to go, especially if using a plate system. Others will say they do it all the time and have never had a problem. If that is their experience, it is hard to argue with that.
    Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics even though he tests racking off optic, he doesn’t recommend it and also doesn’t recommend holding the optic for racking.

It makes sense from an electronics standpoint, the area of buttons is often a weak or recessed point in the construction. So regardless of inadvertent activation of controls, it makes sense not to grab and pinch there repeatedly.

User Tag List