Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Aimsurplus LE trade 14.5” REM 870 Rifle Sight Barrels

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Unless you are running slugs, is an optic really going to be of benefit? In my own limited experiments with open sights versus both optic and ghost rings, I am faster working multiple targets with the open sights.
    As my eyes have aged, I've found the irons have gotten progressively fuzzier. It's not an issue at typical indoor buckshot ranges, but I found myself noticing it at the more distant portions of the Rangemaster qual, for instance, and I wished at that point that I had a dot on my gauge.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

My question would be at what range do we expect to use these SBS's. I would think open sights would be all one would need out to 40 yards. Open sights are so much faster and rib/bead is even faster.
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-01-2022 at 10:43 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    My question would be at what range do we expect to use these SBS's. I would think open sights would be all one would need out to 40 yards. Open sights are so much faster and nothing but a rib and a bead is even faster.
    When we still used lethal shotguns at work we shot slugs out to 100 yards with irons.

What is “faster” is going to vary from person to person. Their training and experience, and as @LHS noted their vision will vary.

A red dot sight should be faster than rifle tape sites for the same reasons a rib and bead would be faster than rifle type sites

You M....uckers! I had just convinced myself not to build an SBS and then you posted this barrel. The one I wanted. At a great price. And Vang Comp is 15 minutes away.

Got a delivery notification this morning. I’ll post some pics when I get home.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Pretty much what you’d expect from a shotgun barrel that’s been in a patrol car. A little rough on the outside but good on the inside. Non-tritium big dot sights.

Name:  AD7FC05F-9119-4843-BCC5-84E07887AE60.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  85.2 KB
    Name:  BC59162D-04AB-4202-8C61-5F4372246AA5.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  84.3 KB
    Name:  DBD53DA0-0FF9-4E3A-9373-1447100013FD.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  68.9 KB
    Name:  BDB6960B-5561-4F8E-A9BF-9249ADABD106.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  59.6 KB
    Name:  D9FBC5D3-5EA9-40D7-8A80-89F83421715F.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  48.0 KB

I imagine down the road I’ll send this off to VC for some love. I’m curious to see how the FC will do out of it.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I imagine down the road I’ll send this off to VC for some love. I’m curious to see how the FC will do out of it.
    FWIW, I have one of these barrels on my 870P SBS. And mine has been to Vang Comp… I suspect you will be somewhat disappointed with the Federal FC. I have done fairly extensive pattern testing with my gun and found the best performance with Hornady BLACK or Critical Defense. My theory is that the modified choke strips the wad early robbing the FC of its magic. But then again, every shotgun barrel is a unique snowflake! Please let us know how it performs out of your barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    FWIW, I have one of these barrels on my 870P SBS. And mine has been to Vang Comp… I suspect you will be somewhat disappointed with the Federal FC. I have done fairly extensive pattern testing with my gun and found the best performance with Hornady BLACK or Critical Defense. My theory is that the modified choke strips the wad early robbing the FC of its magic. But then again, every shotgun barrel is a unique snowflake! Please let us know how it performs out of your barrel.
    Went out and put a few rounds through it at lunch today. Slugs were hitting high at 25 yards. 8 pellet FC wasn’t great at 25 and 15, but was usable.

Name:  B095135F-BB44-467A-8609-75236B4F8701.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  26.8 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.

Mine arrived today and it looks identical to Lon's. I am headed to VC tomorrow since they are near my office. Sometimes geography is just so great.

Site Supporter
    I ordered one as well, looks just like Lon's. Scuffs on the finish but the bore is clean and bright. Some minor dings on the leading edge of the crown that are consistent with being rested on the muzzle, though, but nothing that can't be cleaned up easily.

The problem now is I'm on the fence about putting it on my hardwood TAC-14 or getting another TAC-14 to set up as a 'modern' one, or buy a good PD trade-in 870 to SBS with this barrel. TOO MANY PROJECTS!!!!

Damn you, P-F enablers! (shakes fist at sky)

User Tag List