Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Aimsurplus LE trade 14.5” REM 870 Rifle Sight Barrels

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I ordered one as well, looks just like Lon's. Scuffs on the finish but the bore is clean and bright. Some minor dings on the leading edge of the crown that are consistent with being rested on the muzzle, though, but nothing that can't be cleaned up easily.

The problem now is I'm on the fence about putting it on my hardwood TAC-14 or getting another TAC-14 to set up as a 'modern' one, or buy a good PD trade-in 870 to SBS with this barrel. TOO MANY PROJECTS!!!!

Damn you, P-F enablers! (shakes fist at sky)
    Check your overall length. I put the barrel on my "firearm" and the total length was less than 26". Turns out my prior barrel, that I thought was 14", was really 15" and the total length with the bird's head grip was over 26". I put on the 14.5" and for some reason decided to check. I'm glad I did since it was under 26" with the 14.5" surplus barrel. I ordered a second barrel a couple of days ago, before I got mine first one today. Still glad I ordered two, but the first will go on an SBS.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
    Check your overall length. I put the barrel on my "firearm" and the total length was less than 26". Turns out my prior barrel, that I thought was 14", was really 15" and the total length with the bird's head grip was over 26". I put on the 14.5" and for some reason decided to check. I'm glad I did since it was under 26" with the 14.5" surplus barrel. I ordered a second barrel a couple of days ago, before I got mine first one today. Still glad I ordered two, but the first will go on an SBS.
    Interesting!

Measuring the loose barrel from the extractor cut, my factory TAC-14's original barrel is just barely under 14 1/16" Total length. The AIM Surplus sourced barrel is 14 1/16" on the money. So the AIM barrel is just a tiny smidge longer.

OAL with the factory barrel installed is 26.5" on the money. Predictably, OAL with the AIM barrel is just a nudge longer at 26 and 17/32" give or take a little.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Interesting!

Measuring the loose barrel from the extractor cut, my factory TAC-14's original barrel is just barely under 14 1/16" Total length. The AIM Surplus sourced barrel is 14 1/16" on the money. So the AIM barrel is just a tiny smidge longer.

OAL with the factory barrel installed is 26.5" on the money. Predictably, OAL with the AIM barrel is just a nudge longer at 26 and 17/32" give or take a little.
    Do you have a pic? My grip must be shorter. I don't have a TAC-14. What I started with was a "firearm" before the TAC series. It never had a stock, but it had a pistol grip and an 18.5" barrel. With the original grip, no way could it make 26". So I bought a Bird's Head grip...which could be shorter than what is supplied with the TAC-14.

Site Supporter
    This was surprisingly tricky to do, I couldn't capture exact measurements on the camera with only one hand to hold everything in place, but hopefully this does the trick.
    AIM barrel installed, original TAC-14 barrel alongside.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

And there you go. The only variables are the barrel length and the grip length. My grip is shorter and I should replace it!

Of the three I ordered, one was missing the rear sight blade. That's not something you can order from X/S Sights as a replacement part, as far as I know.

I called AIMSurplus, the nice lady said to email customer service. I emailed this morning, no reply back so far. I'd like to swap it for another useable barrel.

Just an FYI, apparently they did not check the barrels when buying them, or when they shipped them out.

Be sure and check your stuff if you order.

Speak of the devil! A few minutes ago I got a return shipping label.

So I'll keep folks in the loop on how this shakes out.

Okay, you guys had me shook up. I ordered when you all did and I hadn't received mine yet. I looked on the front porch after I let the dogs out and nada, so I decided I'd call AIM as I hadn't received a tracking notice and the order was listed as 'completed' on my account. Just before noon I called Aim, the guy was very friendly and helpful, told me he'd check the order and see what was going on. Moments later he said 'looks like it was delivered 45 minutes ago. It had been. DUH.

Mine doesn't look like it had used a lot, the exterior finish wasn't dinged or worn. It also looked as if it had never been cleaned. The chamber has machining marks in it in addition to being filthy. It's a 23/4 and has the XS white dot front/rear line set up.

This is going on my TAC14 for the time being. When I took the barrel off the TAC14, I set them both on their barrel hoods, side-by-side. Same length or pretty damned close.

I have mine set up with a Mesa AR grip adapter and it measured 26.5 when I got finished. It measures 26.5 with the DEA barrel on it. so GTG.

This is my grip set up, I originally had a LAW folder on it, but measuring with the thing folded put me too close to 26 inches, so I did it like this:

Name:  Mesa Grip.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  52.3 KB

Here's the TAC14 overall:

Name:  TAC14.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  56.5 KB
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

BTW: I can't find a 'cane tip' for the end of the tube, does anyone have any suggestions?
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Got mine yesterday. A lot of very shallow scuffing of the Parkerizing on the outside, the barrel's filthy with visible shreds of plastic. No big deal, it's easy to clean and it's gonna get Vanged anyway. Like most of y'all, mine's marked 2-3/4" OR 3", and MOD choke. Sights are typical XS and in good shape. All in all, I can't complain for the price.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

User Tag List