Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Heritage Tactical Cowboy: I don’t recall us doing this one yet…

Site Supporter
    The fact any of you can talk seriously about this monstrosity is disappointing. I can think of so many better things to do with $200, like buying over priced primers. At least then you'd have something of value.

Good grief,
    Dave

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    The fact any of you can talk seriously about this monstrosity is disappointing. I can think of so many better things to do with $200, like buying over priced primers. At least then you'd have something of value.

Good grief,
    Dave
    Next you are going to go after fine investment firearms like the Charter Arms Boomer (ported .44 Bulldog with no sights) or that Mossberg chainsaw shotgun thing you hold like a leaf blower…

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    They remind me of the Rohm and RG cast frame rimfire revolvers. Maybe finished a little better.
    I used a Rohm/RG .22 off and on back in the late 1960's and while accuracy was abysmal, it functioned okay... though ruggedness was clearly commensurate with the price tag. Among low-buck .22 SA revolvers, I found the H. Schmidt revolvers to be better in general than the equivalent RG's (a friend of mine had a steel-framed Schmidt - it may have been a rarity - that was a decent working gun by any standards). I never cared for the High Standard Double Nine, but some of them were accurate enough. There were a couple of Herter's* imports in the mix, too. For cheap & cheerful plinking wheelguns, I preferred the H&R line, but I was not exactly comparing things scientifically in those days.

(For sheer disappointment and uselessness, the old and oft-advertised "Western Haig" beat them all. Not until I bought an early Walther P22 have I experienced such buyer's remorse... and this includes a Jennings J-22.)

A couple local farm & fleet places keep Heritage .22 revolvers in stock, and apparently they work fine as casual use "barn guns."

*The Herter's catalog, along with the Dixie Gun Works catalogs of the same era, provided more entertainment - and sometimes unintentional humor - than anything offered today.
    Last edited by gato naranja; 07-30-2022 at 01:09 PM.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post

Good grief,
    Dave
    Lighten up, Francis.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

It's like a neophyte tattoo artist practicing his art on ‎Margot Robbie's face.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    It's like a neophyte tattoo artist practicing his art on ‎Margot Robbie's face.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I used a Rohm/RG .22 off and on back in the late 1960's and while accuracy was abysmal, it functioned okay...
    There’s an RG .22 Short revolver on my wife’s side of the family. As the story was told to me, sometime in the 60’s my FiL was out of town a lot so he bought it for my MiL to keep around as protection when he was gone.

They were both gone by the time it was shown to me but as I looked it over I couldn’t help but wonder just how much he really liked her…
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Next you are going to go after fine investment firearms like the Charter Arms Boomer (ported .44 Bulldog with no sights) or that Mossberg chainsaw shotgun thing you hold like a leaf blower…
    LOL - Yea, I just might do that. Not that anyone who likes this thing will pay any attention to me. (smile)

Dave

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    There’s an RG .22 Short revolver on my wife’s side of the family.
    In the early-to-mid 1960's the parents of one of my buddies got a small package from some general merchandise place, and there was an RG .22 Short snubby inside. The previous owner of the house had ordered it through the mail, and after being contacted he told them to just keep it. All of us lot were welcome to shoot that thing now and then, though it was considered to be pretty much a waste of ammunition.

One Sunday when there was no .22 Short to be had, one of our merry band of young, clueless know-it-alls suggested that judicious filing of a box of .22 Longs would just allow them to fit in the cylinder. Gotta be more powerful anyway, right? With bobbed Longs, that RG was like Mark Twain's description of "Bemis' Allen pepperbox" in that it would hit about anyplace except where it was aimed at. The misadventures of that RG were legion.

Now that I think about it, had it appeared in those days, we would have thought this Heritage Tactical Cowboy was the cat's a-a-a... um, "pajamas" by comparison.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List