Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 308 vs. 30-06 Cage Match Thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    It's the Sunday of Labor Day Weekend and I'm in the Texas Hill Country. I just bought my hunting license in a supermarket. In other words, people hunt here. Deer season doesn't open until November, but there is no closed season on feral hogs or exotics that can run from a 120-pound impala to a 700-pound nilgai. If you wanted to, you could go out and shoot something RIGHT NOW.

One big-box store had a total of 15 each 308 factory loads: three 147-grain FMJs, and six 150-grain, three 165-grain, and three 180-grain. They had four each 30-06 loads (two 150, one 180, and one 220), and four each 270 loads (three 130-grain and one 150-grain). A smaller store downtown had about half a dozen 308 loads, no 30-06, and only a little 270.

I have fond memories of using all three of those cartridges, but sticking to the 308/150 seems like a smart move for now.

Okie John
    An exotic hunt in west Texas is sounding more and more appealing.

It's the Sunday of Labor Day Weekend and I'm in the Texas Hill Country. I just bought my hunting license in a supermarket. In other words, people hunt here. Deer season doesn't open until November, but there is no closed season on feral hogs or exotics that can run from a 120-pound impala to a 700-pound nilgai. If you wanted to, you could go out and shoot something RIGHT NOW.

One big-box store had a total of 15 each 308 factory loads: three 147-grain FMJs, and six 150-grain, three 165-grain, and three 180-grain. They had four each 30-06 loads (two 150, one 180, and one 220), and four each 270 loads (three 130-grain and one 150-grain). A smaller store downtown had about half a dozen 308 loads, no 30-06, and only a little 270.

I have fond memories of using all three of those cartridges, but sticking to the 308/150 seems like a smart move for now.
    I've been thinking about getting a short, light 308 for close shots in dense brush. A couple of nights ago, I stumbled into a screaming deal on a Remington Model Seven in 7mm-08 so it came home with me. A check of four big-box stores shows that their average is 31 each 308 loads in stock, 16 each 30-06 loads in stock, and 1 or 2 each 7mm-08 loads in stock.

Maybe the ammo makers will start loading 7-08 again once they get everything else back in stock or maybe it will die slowly like the 350 RM, but this one is about to get a 308 barrel.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

My brother has our dad's 270, and I have my grandfather's 30-06. I can't say that I've shot either of them in 20+ years, as that was the last time I hunted anything outside of a grocery store

I remember both of them being pleasant to shoot with the factory hunting ammo available at the time

Duplicate

Both are excellent cartridges and I am certain I could get through the rest of my life with either and do just fine.

I have owned several rifles in both calibers from several different manufacturers/makers over the years.

In my experience, the ones in .308 have been pretty consistently more accurate off the bench that the the .30-06 rifles.

But then, I have never yet shot a game animal from a bench.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've been thinking about getting a short, light 308 for close shots in dense brush. A couple of nights ago, I stumbled into a screaming deal on a Remington Model Seven in 7mm-08 so it came home with me. A check of four big-box stores shows that their average is 31 each 308 loads in stock, 16 each 30-06 loads in stock, and 1 or 2 each 7mm-08 loads in stock.

Maybe the ammo makers will start loading 7-08 again once they get everything else back in stock or maybe it will die slowly like the 350 RM, but this one is about to get a 308 barrel.

Okie John
    I suspect most of the people who might otherwise be interested in the characteristics of a 7-08 are drinking various flavors of 6.5mm Kool-Aid the past few years. As a 7x57 equivalent when loaded to modern pressures, it's arguably a near-ideal all-around cartridge.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I suspect most of the people who might otherwise be interested in the characteristics of a 7-08 are drinking various flavors of 6.5mm Kool-Aid the past few years. As a 7x57 equivalent when loaded to modern pressures, it's arguably a near-ideal all-around cartridge.
    Agreed.

I shot this rifle today. If it had a 22" barrel and if ammo was more available, then it would stay a 7-08. But ammo is scarce and the barrel is 18.5" so it will become a 22" 308 as soon as I can manage.

It is to the 270 as the 308 is to the 30-06, and that is not a bad thing to be.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It would be dandy to carry as a lightweight 18.5-in .308. Maybe a little blastier than you want? Or not enough forward weight to be steady when aiming in the field?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

It would be dandy to carry as a lightweight 18.5-in .308. Maybe a little blastier than you want? Or not enough forward weight to be steady when aiming in the field?
    A 18.5" centerfire rifle is a delight to carry but a drag to fire. The muzzle blast seems much sharper than with longer barrels and the flash can be seen from outer space.

When a rifle barrel gets too short, balance goes out the window. The muzzle floats when you try to shoot offhand in a hurry, which is why the classic Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbines have a full-length stock and a steel nose cap--the makers knew they needed to pull the weight back toward the front of the rifle.

If you wonder about how a rifle should balance, pick up an unmodified military 98 Mauser and throw it up like you're taking a fast shot at a moving target. The weight will seem evenly distributed instead of being all in once place. If you put the top of your hand under the front action screw, the rifle will balance there.

Then pick up a military Mauser that sill has the original stock, but on which someone has cut the barrel back, discarded the bayonet mount, and the handguard. Yes, it's lighter overall but the balance is gone. You'll need to put your hand somewhere behind the front action screw for it to hang without falling out of your hand. The same is true of most compact bolt actions. The wood-stocked Remington Model Sevens are horrible in this regard. 308s are worse than other calibers because their barrels are lighter.

Okie John

I am in the process of getting my 7-08 put together. Years ago I ordered a 7mm Kreiger in Light Palma, with the intent of doing 7mmRM. The trip I intended to use it for kept getting delayed, and my buddy who was going to do the work kept getting busy and it never happened. In the interim same buddy went to Africa and shot a bunch of big critters with a 7x57 and subsequently got all fired up on 7mm-08 and convinced me to switch. So he finished the barrel at 24 instead of 26, and it is on a long action, since I had not only the action but the long action stock it will be a little goofy being on a long action, but oh well. Maybe when I get my act together with it if I like it maybe it will get a lighter companion.

User Tag List