Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 308 vs. 30-06 Cage Match Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    We all hunt with copper now (I got everybody onto Barnes and we've had a lot of luck with them). A lot of kids grew up with lead paint and turned out alright. All we can do is the best we can and that's what my folks did.
    I get it, glad you got that sorted out and hopefully we can help educate others as to the dangers of lead bullets in game. It's unfortunate the copper costs a lot more but the bullet is about the cheapest expense of hunting typically.

The 30/06 has a 12mm longer case thus holds more powder. That’s it

The velocity/trajectory differences generated by this difference at 300 yards or less are not appreciable for big game hunting. If someone wants shoot 180-220 grain bullets then Get an 06. If you want to shoot past 300-400 yards regularly maybe get something else all together. If you want a short action gun that kills very well inside of 300 -400 and doesn’t kick a lot and you aren’t worried about dangerous game, get a 308. The 308 is slightly more inherently accurate I do believe.

We all hunt with copper now (I got everybody onto Barnes and we've had a lot of luck with them). A lot of kids grew up with lead paint and turned out alright. All we can do is the best we can and that's what my folks did.
    I first started using Barnes not for the lead free, but because they cause spectacular wounding and killing, at least on NC whitetails. The lead free is just a bonus.

These days I appreciate the lack of lead more.

Just back from my LGS. The place was busy getting ready for hunting season. I counted 24 different 308 loads on the shelf that would be fine for deer, bear, or elk plus three or four premium target loads. They had similar variety in 223 loads, plus six flavors of 270/130, and plenty of 6.5 Creedmoor. Prices were from high retail to almost ridiculous.

But they were keeping 30-06, 300 WM, and a couple of other popular choices behind the counter. You had to ask a clerk for them.

So I asked one of them how much 30-06 they had on hand. He said, "A little."

Six weeks from Opening Day of deer season and they only have a little 30-06 ammo.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Just back from my LGS. The place was busy getting ready for hunting season. I counted 24 different 308 loads on the shelf that would be fine for deer, bear, or elk plus three or four premium target loads. They had similar variety in 223 loads, plus six flavors of 270/130, and plenty of 6.5 Creedmoor. Prices were from high retail to almost ridiculous.

But they were keeping 30-06, 300 WM, and a couple of other popular choices behind the counter. You had to ask a clerk for them.

So I asked one of them how much 30-06 they had on hand. He said, "A little."

Six weeks from Opening Day of deer season and they only have a little 30-06 ammo.

Okie John
    Walmart last night:

Very limited center fire rifle ammo.

Majority .308 (6 or 7 types)

A bunch of 350 legend no body wants.

4x boxes 30-30

2x boxes 270

1x box 7mm rem mag.

Zero 30-06, zero 300 win mag.

My whole childhood, dad kept meat in the freezer with an old battered Rem 700 .30-06. So that's got to be it for me. I saw that round do good, reliable work my entire life on antelope, deer, and elk. Nothing fancy, I just remember a lot of yellow/green Remington boxes, I think Core-Lokt.

We were not blessed in the money department and we never would have had access to as much high quality meat without those successful hunts. I spent my childhood eating wild game meat or 50/50 game/beef mixes and consequently grew up on some of the nicest, cleanest, freest meat you can eat.

Ironically, my dad handed that off to my brother a few years back and my brother and I chipped in to get my dad a really nice walnut stock / blue steel Tikka T3X in .308. So now my dad has the .308 and my brother has the .30-06. And my dad LOVES the .308.

But my childhood memories are him with that .30-06 filling our freezer over and over, so that one will always be my favorite.
    Does he love the .308 or does he love the rifle you and your brother gave him? Hmmm? Could be both.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Does he love the .308 or does he love the rifle you and your brother gave him? Hmmm? Could be both.
    A nice thought, and I imagine the latter. He grew up with a dad who withheld affection and has always very intentionally worn his feelings on his sleeve so we didn't have to grow up like that. He's a really good dad. I try to tell him that often.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Walmart last night:

Very limited center fire rifle ammo.

Majority .308 (6 or 7 types)

A bunch of 350 legend no body wants.

4x boxes 30-30

2x boxes 270

1x box 7mm rem mag.

Zero 30-06, zero 300 win mag.
    It's the Sunday of Labor Day Weekend and I'm in the Texas Hill Country. I just bought my hunting license in a supermarket. In other words, people hunt here. Deer season doesn't open until November, but there is no closed season on feral hogs or exotics that can run from a 120-pound impala to a 700-pound nilgai. If you wanted to, you could go out and shoot something RIGHT NOW.

One big-box store had a total of 15 each 308 factory loads: three 147-grain FMJs, and six 150-grain, three 165-grain, and three 180-grain. They had four each 30-06 loads (two 150, one 180, and one 220), and four each 270 loads (three 130-grain and one 150-grain). A smaller store downtown had about half a dozen 308 loads, no 30-06, and only a little 270.

I have fond memories of using all three of those cartridges, but sticking to the 308/150 seems like a smart move for now.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    It's the Sunday of Labor Day Weekend and I'm in the Texas Hill Country. I just bought my hunting license in a supermarket. In other words, people hunt here. Deer season doesn't open until November, but there is no closed season on feral hogs or exotics that can run from a 120-pound impala to a 700-pound nilgai. If you wanted to, you could go out and shoot something RIGHT NOW.

One big-box store had a total of 15 each 308 factory loads: three 147-grain FMJs, and six 150-grain, three 165-grain, and three 180-grain. They had four each 30-06 loads (two 150, one 180, and one 220), and four each 270 loads (three 130-grain and one 150-grain). A smaller store downtown had about half a dozen 308 loads, no 30-06, and only a little 270.

I have fond memories of using all three of those cartridges, but sticking to the 308/150 seems like a smart move for now.

Okie John
    So you are an hour or two from me. You can also buy gun cases and feeder corn in the supermarket, even here in the big city.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    So you are an hour or two from me. You can also buy gun cases and feeder corn in the supermarket, even here in the big city.
    I freaking love Texas.

I'm about 30 miles NW of San Antonio at the moment. I'll be a couple of hours east of there by tomorrow afternoon, then Austin on Wednesday and the rest of the week, then back to the Pacific Northwest over the weekend.

Okie John

User Tag List