Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USPSA to IDPA

USPSA to IDPA

I’m looking at starting to shoot IDPA here soon and need a quick ‘n dirty on what sort of stuff I’ll need to go from Production to SSP. I’ll eventually be making the move to CO, but I’ll start off in SSP right now to learn the game.

Belt, holster, mag pouches. I’m guessing a BOSS hanger and double belt isn’t IPDA legal. I’m guessing a standard bladetech directly on a single nylon belt is good? How many mag pouches will I need for SSP?

Concealment. I’m guessing this probably needs to be the meme IPDA concealment vest. Any good suggestions for something that works, but is also lighter in color (something khaki, gray, or OD green as opposed to black) and maybe also lighter in weight?

Is there anything else I need to be cognizant of?

Your boss hanger is legal now, but it needs to be concealed with something (probably a vest). The double belt is not legal.

For SSP you could probably just do with 1 mag pouch now that the mag capacity is 15, but you're allowed more. The most loaded magazines you can have is 2 on the belt and 1 in the gun

Most are using Propper or 511 as the vest. You can spend more but I haven't looked at those. Appendix carry is also allowed

If you ditch the inner belt and thread your outer belt through your belt loops it's legal. Loads of people do that.

"Belts may be no wider than 1-3/4 inches or thicker than 5/16 inches and must pass through a minimum of all but two of the pant loops."

"A dropped and offset (DOH) holster with the butt of the firearm no lower than the top of the belt may be used. Concealment and cant angle rules apply."

They removed the requirements for your gun and mags to be within a certain distance to your body and instead just said your holster isn't allowed to cant outward when viewed from the front.

Following.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    If you ditch the inner belt and thread your outer belt through your belt loops it's legal. Loads of people do that.

"Belts may be no wider than 1-3/4 inches or thicker than 5/16 inches and must pass through a minimum of all but two of the pant loops."

"A dropped and offset (DOH) holster with the butt of the firearm no lower than the top of the belt may be used. Concealment and cant angle rules apply."

They removed the requirements for your gun and mags to be within a certain distance to your body and instead just said your holster isn't allowed to cant outward when viewed from the front.
    Tempting, but that BOSS hanger will be a problem doing that. I might as well just go with a dedicated rig. Considering the cost of such a thing, this solution really doesn’t seem horrible at all.

https://benstoegerproshop.com/blade-...ouch-and-belt/

As for vests, the Propper vest looks to be the way to go…if they had it in my size…

https://www.propper.com/mens/outerwe...al-vest-1.html

So I think the 5.11 option will probably be what I end up settling on. There’s a 5.11 store that’s local to me, so I’ll end up saving on shipping if they have one in stock.

https://www.511tactical.com/fast-tac-reg-vest.html

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post

So I think the 5.11 option will probably be what I end up settling on. There’s a 5.11 store that’s local to me, so I’ll end up saving on shipping if they have one in stock.

https://www.511tactical.com/fast-tac-reg-vest.html
    I'd suggest the 5.11 Covert vest instead, it's the one I use: https://www.511tactical.com/covert-vest.html

I much prefer it because I can wear it in public (when outfit appropriate in fall and spring) without looking like a dorkus maximus

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I'd suggest the 5.11 Covert vest instead, it's the one I use: https://www.511tactical.com/covert-vest.html

I much prefer it because I can wear it in public (when outfit appropriate in fall and spring) without looking like a dorkus maximus
    That's generally hard to do anytime a vest is involved.

Case in point...the dude with his Bronytail, an arm band made of linked 7.62, tattoos that were drawn on with a sharpie and of course, his leather vest and chain wallet.

10 internet points total to who can guess what and how he was carrying EDC?

But that vest looks ight

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    That's generally hard to do anytime a vest is involved.

Case in point...the dude with his Bronytail, an arm band made of linked 7.62, tattoos that were drawn on with a sharpie and of course, his leather vest and chain wallet.

10 internet points total to who can guess what and how he was carrying EDC?

But that vest looks ight

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    Ruger P-89 in a Sportsmans Guide drop leg nylon holster?

Oh, extra credit points: His spare mags still had the orange Ruger factory warning stickers on them.

ETA: I like vests... y'all stop hatin...

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    A great convenience. Wear your holster - no gun so as to not frighten the clerk - and be sure it doesn't pooch out the bottom. A lot of the vests on offer are kind of short tailed.

I have seen everything from Aloha shirts to old suit jackets and BDU jackets with the sleeves cut out.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    TX heat - Magellan fishing shirts from Academy. Holsters, into gaming or something close to carry? I run a Galco Matrix or a JM Road Dog. I'm not into big hunks of plastic for a holster. Used for Glocks or 1911s. Not an IWB of any type fan given various reasons - cue the debate.

My goal is practice close to carry as compared to eking out time in the 'game'.

Mags - Total Eclipse Double Mag OWBs from Blade-tech.

User Tag List