Thread: Ban States vs No Ban States matches, practice and transfer

Site Supporter

Ban States vs No Ban States matches, practice and transfer

I've been reading the thread about personal arguments in USPSA. One thing caught my interest and that was having the Nationals in a mag limit state.

I used to shoot IDPA pretty exclusively with pistol in TX. Some steel and carbine. In the latter, we shot 30 round weapons of war (sorry) but handguns were (in those days) 10 round limits. In fact, I bought lots of very cheap 10 round mags after the AWB expired just for competition there.

Now in NYS, I'm back to 10 rounds in USPSA or IDPA (don't shoot this much as it is a long drive and I want to stay close to home).

The question then is if you are in a ban state and then go to a match in a nonban state, how do you adapt to having a higher cap mag in planning and motor memory? Here, the shooters are all about planning reloads to save milliseconds of time - lots of 4 target, 8 rounds - then reload. If ban guys go out of state - do you get all Farblunget ?

Just curious.

I was always under the impression that Limited 10 division and Production division limited to 10 rounds for years, is/was exactly for ban states, so that those members could participate in those divisions without being handicapped. Like you I've been scratching my head over the rest of the divisions for years but not interested enough to inquire or research it. I do know that in California high cap mags were grandfathered for a time so those shooters could still play.

Site Supporter
    Yep, so just play in those lanes. I was wondering if folks would wander out of them. I would like to put a 17 round mag in my G17s, esp. my new Gen 5 MOS with the SRO on it. Someday, the courts will free us (or not). I do shoot a 1911 once in awhile but that's expensive nowadays.

I forgot to even mention Single Stack. Until Foley and crew dropped the 10 round mag restriction in Production, ban state shooters were able to play at least pretty well in the sport if you add in Revolver division.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Until Foley and crew dropped the 10 round mag restriction in Production
    What? Prod still has a 10-round limit.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    What? Prod still has a 10-round limit.
    Damn. I need to edit and can't. I was confused with Carry Optics. Could have been the transition from provisional to a full division when it changed. It's been awhile.

I distinctly remember seeing a post somewhere where Foley said "load 'em up" after the change. I'll go to the corner now....

I know a local production guy who still gets trapped by training scars when he runs CO.

More than once he has dropped a mag on movement reflexively….

Come to think of it, that’s another reason production is stupid in a non ban state hahaha. Kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I know a local production guy who still gets trapped by training scars when he runs CO.

More than once he has dropped a mag on movement reflexively….

Come to think of it, that’s another reason production is stupid in a non ban state hahaha. Kidding.
    Well at least his mags drop freely!

I think it comes down somewhat to how you internalize the reloads. I mostly shoot production, but run limited in the later half of the season and I also shoot with many NY open and CO guys in PA who think a bit like I do.

Don't focus on the capacity or even the trap of "every time I move". Reload where the stage tells you to for your division. You capacity should not be a concern so long as you actually plan your reloads whether it's 1 or 3.
    The only place where I see the regular hi cap shooters struggle is on makeup shots where they get lost by having to reload early, and don't get back to their plan.

User Tag List