Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: RFI: Policy, Transition training, and Qualification CoF for RDS pistols

Site Supporter
    Just talked to an Academy firearms instructor. The largest agency in the state and the largest sheriff's office both have jumped into optics with both feet. Apparently they relied on in house talent to develop POIs, and are treating dots like irons, and are thus dot focused. They are also apparently having record numbers of non-quals. Issue optic is the P-2.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Just talked to an Academy firearms instructor. The largest agency in the state and the largest sheriff's office both have jumped into optics with both feet. Apparently they relied on in house talent to develop POIs, and are treating dots like irons, and are thus dot focused. They are also apparently having record numbers of non-quals. Issue optic is the P-2.

pat
    Dissapointed, but not surprised.

On the federal side we (FLETC) offer a 4 day Handgun Optics Program.

Our curriculum development process was not followed, so the four days was determined arbitrarily as a "good" length for a class. The graduation requirement is a pretty stout course of fire that is NOT the normal qual course; target is different and times are pretty spicy.

It's not required or mandated training; many agencies, particularly the smaller ones are just issuing duty guns with dots on them and saying "Here you go. Go qualify." Some extreme cases are agencies issuing a second slide assembly to the officers and letting them CHOOSE which slide they want on their duty gun. No restrictions on switching back and forth, i.e "It's Monday, so I'll carry irons today."

Site Supporter
    I’d be interested in looking at the course of fire

My old agency still officially classifies RDS as "competition only" modifications, though I'm told that's changing. My buddy's agency had no restrictions on lights or optics, BUT they were just told that their next weapons policy will prohibit agents from using WML or RDS unless their FI has completed a WML/RDS Instructor certification, AND has provided that "transition" training to the agents. This is problematic as most of the agent's in my buddy's office already have RDS equipped pistols, so they'll have to remove the RDS, revert to irons, and wait for a "certified" instructor to come teach them how to shoot the RDS they've had on their pistols in some cases for several years now. OBTW, the FI "certification" is going to be an agency specific course, not FLETC's RDS Instructor Training Program... You gotta love the guv'mint!

User Tag List