Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoeger suspended from USPSA

I was discussing that recently about the caliber of individual putting their hand up - USPSA is to a size where it needs competent management and folks experienced with running organizations stepping into the fray. The finances don't support paying anybody to do so. The dudes stepping in care a lot but don't have skillset to be good at what they're trying to do - in some instances.

As it is - it's a glorified popularity/beauty contest. Caring a lot about the sport but not having the soft skills to influence or leadership experience to leverage is basically trading an old board member for a new one.

The online storm of constant criticism is going to further deter quality people from stepping in - in conversations I've had with people who didn't put their name in the hat but could have. The exposure is good - in many/most respects - but the resulting dogpile isn't. Weird spot.

If the board can wrangle job descriptions for the employees and have annual/semi annual performance reviews that'd be a big / strong step.

Quote Originally Posted by THeHumbleMarksman View Post
    I was discussing that recently about the caliber of individual putting their hand up - USPSA is to a size where it needs competent management and folks experienced with running organizations stepping into the fray. The finances don't support paying anybody to do so. The dudes stepping in care a lot but don't have skillset to be good at what they're trying to do - in some instances.

As it is - it's a glorified popularity/beauty contest. Caring a lot about the sport but not having the soft skills to influence or leadership experience to leverage is basically trading an old board member for a new one.

The online storm of constant criticism is going to further deter quality people from stepping in - in conversations I've had with people who didn't put their name in the hat but could have. The exposure is good - in many/most respects - but the resulting dogpile isn't. Weird spot.

If the board can wrangle job descriptions for the employees and have annual/semi annual performance reviews that'd be a big / strong step.
    Is it that hard to get some decent people on the board of directors? They need to get some people from all walks of life, including finance, law, and education.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Is it that hard to get some decent people on the board of directors? They need to get some people from all walks of life, including finance, law, and education.
    There's a lot of time devoted to a job that doesn't pay anything and is still stressful. It's tough to squeeze in an extra XX hours a week with a family/job.

I imagine it's like being a match director on steroids.

There's a lot of time devoted to a job that doesn't pay anything and is still stressful. It's tough to squeeze in an extra XX hours a week with a family/job.

I ran a shooting range with 100+ volunteers for 10 years. It takes effort but once you get people trained and some decent organization, it goes pretty smoothly. The first thing you do is get rid of the troublemakers, or put them in their place.

I ran a shooting range with 100+ volunteers for 10 years. It takes effort but once you get people trained and some decent organization, it goes pretty smoothly. The first thing you do is get rid of the troublemakers, or put them in their place.
    You should run. Not being snarky here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    You should run. Not being snarky here.
    I'm retired from running gun orgs 😁

I also have very little interest in USPSA. Lots of fun for many but the game does very little for me. The problem is that a majority of gun owners are super cheap, want to show up and play, then go home.

We had two occasions where clubs came to our range board and asked us to waive the $3 fee per person, per event because people were complaining. Three dollars!! The club was getting 15 or 20 dollars per person.

If the shooting sports had golf money, or even hunting money, it would be a lot better off.

I'm retired from running gun orgs 😁

I also have very little interest in USPSA. Lots of fun for many but the game does very little for me. The problem is that a majority of gun owners are super cheap, want to show up and play, then go home.

We had two occasions where clubs came to our range board and asked us to waive the $3 fee per person, per event because people were complaining. Three dollars!! The club was getting 15 or 20 dollars per person.

If the shooting sports had golf money, or even hunting money, it would be a lot better off.
    Its the insurance and org dues. Local clubs are volunteer, and not making money off of it.

EDIT: Personally I am not familiar with the needs of the board of a sport like USPSA.
    -They need an accounting service.
    -Some limited marketing.
    -A rulebook.
    -a system for tracking members and classifications.

What else?
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 10-11-2023 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Its the insurance and org dues. Local clubs are volunteer, and not making money off of it.

EDIT: Personally I am not familiar with the needs of the board of a sport like USPSA.
    -They need an accounting service.
    -Some limited marketing.
    -A rulebook.
    -a system for tracking members and classifications.

What else?
    These clubs are making money. I'm sure a good portion went to dues, targets, etc but we took care of the insurance.

Site Supporter

Agreed and I appreciate your content and shout out in the PX4 video!

I wasn’t aware of any opinions on de-cocking any particular way but it made me laugh pretty hard regardless.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Agreed and I appreciate your content and shout out in the PX4 video!

I wasn’t aware of any opinions on de-cocking any particular way but it made me laugh pretty hard regardless.
    In my first 92 LTT video for first shots a few years ago I was decocking it with my support hand while shooting a string of DA shots to test me/the gun and caught a bit of flack for doing it - just having a bit of fun

User Tag List