Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting USPSA CO and seeking advice

Starting USPSA CO and seeking advice

I've dipped my toes into steel challenge and proper USPSA matches and, Lord help me, it seems there's no turning back. I shoot B with my beloved Poor Man's Roland in Open/U. Great gun but I want a budget Carry Optics rig. I'm thinking:

Glock 17 or 47 MOS
    Holosun 507 comp
    OEM Performance trigger
    OEM G17 mags with Taran +5/6 base

For holster, I've been using the CompTac International but I would prefer something further out from the body. A few times my shirt has creeped into the holster. Same for mag pouches. Guidance needed here.

I would welcome ANY PF advice for starting USPSA.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    I've dipped my toes into steel challenge and proper USPSA matches and, Lord help me, it seems there's no turning back. I shoot B with my beloved Poor Man's Roland in Open/U. Great gun but I want a budget Carry Optics rig. I'm thinking:

Glock 17 or 47 MOS
    Holosun 507 comp
    OEM Performance trigger

For holster, I've been using the CompTac International but I would prefer something further out from the body. A few times my shirt has creeped into the holster. Same for mag pouches. Guidance needed here.

Your plan makes sense. I would go 47 over the 17, but that is splitting hairs. The Henning hangar works great with a Comp Tac International, and will allow you to optimally position it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If you’re accustomed to shooting Glocks with your Roland it makes sense to stick with the same platform for CO. Can’t really comment on the trigger or optics choice, suffice to say I’ve been seeing a lot of Holosun Comps at my local matches ever since they came out.

Personally I run BOSS hangers on all my holsters. It is widely adjustable for height, cant, and with different spacers you can even adjust the amount of offset -however in CO the holster must position the gun to within 2 1/8” of the inside of the inner belt (unlike Open which is 3 38”).

As far as mag pouches I have belts setup with either the DAA Racers (plastic ones) or Ghost, with bullets facing out. I also run a magnet up front since we can.

Name:  IMG_5561.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  59.1 KB

My Glock rig has a Comp Tac Int'l, Henning hangar, Linx belt with ratchet, DAA Racer mag pouches.

...For holster, I've been using the CompTac International but I would prefer something further out from the body. A few times my shirt has creeped into the holster. Same for mag pouches. Guidance needed here.

Garments fouling the holster: this is a common rookie issue, and you need to figure out how to eliminate it. For competition, the simple answer is to tuck your outerwear inside your belts. Always holster "slowly, deliberately, and reluctantly" while confirming that the holster is clear.

I recommend the Henning or Springer holster hangers over the Boss, unless you are female or very "large". The Boss has a cant adjustment that allows adjustment of the holster in the roll axis, which is often required for women with hips. But the Boss also hangs down, and hits the leg. It's uncomfortable and restrictive--especially if you run your holster towards the 2:00. For those of us who suffer from chronic asslessness @GJM, there's no need to adjust the holster angle because our bodies are straight, so the simpler Henning or Springer hangers are best.

USPSA is really fun. I think you'll find people helpful and welcoming. Don't worry about being competitive for a while. You'll notice that the top shooters are super fast and accurate, but also remarkably relaxed. Trying to go fast leads to tension, and tension leads to all sorts of bad things when it comes to shooting. Shoot in your comfort zone, and you'll be surprised how soon your match placement starts moving up.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 10-17-2023 at 01:38 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Garments fouling the holster: this is a common rookie issue, and you need to figure out how to eliminate it. For competition, the simple answer is to tuck your outerwear inside your belts. Always holster "slowly, deliberately, and reluctantly" while confirming that the holster is clear.

I recommend the Henning or Springer holster hangers over the Boss, unless you are female or very "large". The Boss has a cant adjustment that allows adjustment of the holster in the roll axis, which is often required for women with hips. But the Boss also hangs down, and hits the leg. It's uncomfortable and restrictive--especially if you run your holster towards the 2:00. For those of us who suffer from chronic asslessness @GJM, there's no need to adjust the holster angle because our bodies are straight, so the simpler Henning or Springer hangers are best.

USPSA is really fun. I think you'll find people helpful and welcoming. Don't worry about being competitive for a while. You'll notice that the top shooters are super fast and accurate, but also remarkably relaxed. Trying to go fast leads to tension, and tension leads to all sorts of bad things when it comes to shooting. Shoot in your comfort zone, and you'll be surprised how soon your match placement starts moving up.
    I thought I was (a) total ass.

@ArgentFix enjoy the sport and a good attitude above all will help you improve. Hat cam can be helpful for review and squadding with A+ people can cut learning curve off.

Also note that the shooting part and the stage / gaming part are related but somewhat independently worked on and improved upon.

Assess those skills independently and work them independently for best balanced improvement otherwise you’ll plateau at the weakest link.

From a Glock standpoint, it’s reasonable to use a heavy flashlight with a Glock to counterbalance fully loaded mags and help recoil impulse. Also don’t be afraid to go weaker recoil spring if using weaker ammo for easier dot tracking and harmonious cycling.

Glock 17 or 47 MOS
    Holosun 507 comp
    OEM Performance trigger

Any reason you're not considering the 34? I don't really compete, but I have shot competitions, usually with my Gen 4 RS. I haven't been able to get my G45 MOS RS to run reliably (I'm wondering if its the added weight of the FCD MOS plate) so I shot it without the comp in CO this past weekend but also bought a 34 to try as a more dedicated CO gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Any reason you're not considering the 34? I don't really compete, but I have shot competitions, usually with my Gen 4 RS. I haven't been able to get my G45 MOS RS to run reliably (I'm wondering if its the added weight of the FCD MOS plate) so I shot it without the comp in CO this past weekend but also bought a 34 to try as a more dedicated CO gun.
    I run 11 pound springs in Gamer G45s and G34s when shooting gamer ammo. They also won't tolerate thumb slide draggers.

Why not just buy a different top end for the gun you have and take the mag well off?

Save yourself some $$ and use it to buy an SRO instead of the 507 comp🤷🏼*♂️?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List